Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Tuning choices for my 1993 S/C Cobra HELP!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Tuning choices for my 1993 S/C Cobra HELP!
Ernesto_jr
¯
Member # 10802

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ernesto_jr  Ford pictures for Ernesto_jr  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey guys!

I need ur advice and help on choices to tune my 1993 SC 331 Cobra.....i see a few people on diff forums using Tweecer and MEGAsquirt while some use AEM EMS.....

what would u use and why one over other? Any feedback would help. I just want her to run correctly and have some fun driving her around town....

--------------------
Junior -
1993 COBRA
1993 Acura Integra GS-R
www.WEKFEST.com
ADVANCED AUTO - San Ramon

Posts: 153 | From: SF BAY AREA - Union City | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Fast or big stuff3 are the only two i would use
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
those options are nice if you're going to be doing the tuning yourself.

an SCT 4-bank switch chip and a trip to the dyno to let somebody else tune it that knows what they're doing is my preference.

My car runs great with a dyno tune and an SCT chip...

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Ernesto_jr
¯
Member # 10802

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ernesto_jr  Ford pictures for Ernesto_jr  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the tips guys...im a.little new to the more serious end.of modding older fords...i had a few 5.0's.before but just bolt ons and such

In terms of the sct chip and tuning...so i just let the online shop (americanmuscle) or others know what i have and they make a chip? Then hav dyno shop install and its tunable?

--------------------
Junior -
1993 COBRA
1993 Acura Integra GS-R
www.WEKFEST.com

BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I prefer to do my own tuning but if looking for a shop to tune for you hit up all out performance in frenso
FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FRC_Kid  Ford pictures for FRC_Kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pretty soon a lot of fanboys will say go to AED... I say go to whichever shop is closest to you.... If your not rich and your car has a few problems they won't take it... Quoted from their own mouth

[ May 05, 2011, 03:30 AM: Message edited by: cali95gt ]

--------------------
Pretend Racecar Driver- C5 FRC

Ford, GM, & Dodge is what I'm all about

Posts: 2578 | From: All over the Peninsula | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you don't plan on changing the car anymore a simple trip to the closest dyno shop will work for you. If you plan on more changes I suggest learning to tune it yourself with a tweecer/quarter horse/PMS..or whatever.

Is the car running on the stock eec now? What are the fuel mods/timing settings?

Posts: 1016 | From: California, Bay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
Nasty Notch
Alex Crisp (Lux)
Member # 8863

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nasty Notch  Ford pictures for Nasty Notch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anybody have more info on those tweecer's

--------------------
"FREE J.SMITH.

Alex Crisp (Lux) aka "Nasty Notch" of Oakland & Vallejo,out of this list of stolen parts has been selling a rare S351 intake and Vortech YS trim with removed serial number, finding out how to fill a TKO, selling a twEECer, and selling MM camber caster plates! He refuses to answer where these parts are now and who he got these parts from. Either Alex is a thief or knows who the thief is.People like Al ruin the hobby and contaminate our community.

UPDATE: Felon Alex Crisp arrested and jailed

UPDATE2: Alex Crisp guilty of armed robbery

Posts: 941 | From: A intersection | Registered: Jan 2009  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cali95gt:
Pretty soon a lot of fanboys will say go to AED... I say go to whichever shop is closest to you.... If your not rich and your car has a few problems they won't take it... Quoted from their own mouth

Funny. If you consider rich spending $400-$500 on a quality, through tune, find a new hobby.

To the OP, post up the complete combo...it'll help out the opinions.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Nasty Notch:
Anybody have more info on those tweecer's

What kind of info do you need?
CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Spending that much on a tune is not bad. Speed costs and that is for sure, but if you are changing up your combo then it makes sense to do self tunes so you don't have to continuously spend the $400-500 a second and a third time:)

--------------------
2013 Shelby GT500
2011 Porsche 911 TurboS/AWD
2014 GSXR750
2002 GSXR750 Track Beater Bike
2016 Explorer Unlimted

Ernesto_jr
¯
Member # 10802

thanks guys!

i dont plan on changing up mods, its done for now -

331 built Stroker w/scat crank
H rods & SRP forged pistons
80mm Mass Air
TFS Heads and Intake
75mm TB
Vortech V-2
Vortech Aftercooler
42 LB injectors
Aeromotive fuel rails/pump
Crane SC cam
T&D Shaft mount rockers
MAC headers / Bassani X / Flows
TF u/l intake

--------------------
Junior -
1993 COBRA
1993 Acura Integra GS-R
www.WEKFEST.com

FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FRC_Kid  Ford pictures for FRC_Kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
quote:

Funny. If you consider rich spending $400-$500 on a quality, through tune, find a new hobby.

I dont consider that rich bro... The guys who run A.E.D said " if you don't have deep pockets than basically don't go there".... Now that's why i said that. I don't mind spending that on a tune. My parts cost more than that so I don't mind shelling out the cash.

--------------------

copcar
¯
Member # 10113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for copcar  Ford pictures for copcar    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A quality tune is only as good as the guy turning the wrenches. You have several options.

Stand alone systems will be better than bandaids like boost retards, however, before laying down some cash on a tune make sure the dune is done on an Eddy Current Dyno (Mustang Dyno) and not a Dynojet248. Constant load and load delta have to be tuned for and an inirtia dyno cannot duplicate this. I have seen countless "dyno" tunes wind up on the back of a flat bed.

--------------------
12.37@ 109.34.NA 894DA Old Nitto 555 DR's Gt40 irons. B cam/1.7's, All emissions equipment on the car, stock air box. UPR catted X pipe.

Blubyu87gt
¯
Member # 9427

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blubyu87gt  Ford pictures for Blubyu87gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am a big fan of the quarter horse personally. Great tuning abilities with EEC Analyzer and Binary Editor all well worth the money if you like to or want to start self tuning. I wouldn't touch too much myself without a wideband setup either though. All said and done you will drop about 600 for the QH, software, and single wideband. Since you're not thinking to much about changing setups I would consider more taking it to a shop and being done with it.

--------------------
Make something idiot proof and you only find a new class of idiot!

Posts: 98 | From: Charleston, SC | Registered: Aug 2009  |  :
Mach916
¯
Member # 8264

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mach916  Ford pictures for Mach916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by copcar:
A quality tune is only as good as the guy turning the wrenches. You have several options.

Stand alone systems will be better than bandaids like boost retards, however, before laying down some cash on a tune make sure the dune is done on an Eddy Current Dyno (Mustang Dyno) and not a Dynojet248. Constant load and load delta have to be tuned for and an inirtia dyno cannot duplicate this. I have seen countless "dyno" tunes wind up on the back of a flat bed.

+1 to get the best tune you need the best tools
Posts: 1247 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

I dont consider that rich bro... The guys who run A.E.D said " if you don't have deep pockets than basically don't go there".... Now that's why i said that. I don't mind spending that on a tune. My parts cost more than that so I don't mind shelling out the cash.
Then don't go to AED. Simple as that.

OP- if you're tuning to gain a bit more out of it, best of luck. If you're tuning to "fix" a issue, you're wasting your time. There is no reason why it shouldn't run/drive just fine with the current setup. A TPS/IACV/Timing/FP setting can do plenty to start. [patriot]

As for tuning, I'm a fan of street tunes. A system such as TweeCer, QT, or the like would be just the ticket.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
2T0NE
Go 49ers
Member # 4216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2T0NE  Ford pictures for 2T0NE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

NO FLOPTOPS ALLOWED AT AED.sorry cali..AED FTW

--------------------
Originally posted by x Raelsmar x:
Can't wait till the Giants lose tomorrow night so all you Giants fans are forced to shut the fuck up.

Posts: 14676 | From: 760 carlsbad | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 2TONE:
quote:
quote:
quote:

LOL, take ya brokeass top ramen eating ass home. Stop riding AED dick, people like em on here and people like other shops. Big deal, get the F over it and get a raise.

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
To the OP...I saw this car yesterday at Rick's shop. Look real clean. Hopefully you guys work out the bugs and get it tuned [patriot]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

quote:
Originally posted by 94droptopGT:
quote:
Originally posted by 2TONE:
quote:
quote:
quote:

LOL, take ya brokeass top ramen eating ass home. Stop riding AED dick, people like em on here and people like other shops. Big deal, get the F over it and get a raise.
Broke huh [Confused] Funny how you seem to own a 94GT bro, same damn car as me. I bet you are much older than me. So who is really the broke one???? When it comes to money I'm very comfortable... talk what you know buddy [Mad] [Mad]

--------------------

Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
tune yourself..fuck dyno tuning..datalog your street pulls and tune with a laptop..moates qh ftw..or tweecer rt

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com