Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Need help badly... Alternator or battery

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need help badly... Alternator or battery
RioredGT
¯
Member # 2300

Ford Icon 4 posted      Profile for RioredGT  Ford pictures for RioredGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damn my car gave a surprise today... Went to turn it on and it "click click click". I'm thinking low battery. I give it a jump and it fires up. I disconnect the cables from the jump car, 5 seconds later my car dies. Tried to jump it again, same exact thing. It only stays on if its attached to the jump car. I noticed there's a blinking battery light on the dash. Manual says charging system needs to be checked.

Any ideas on how I can isolate whether its the battery or the alternator? Battery isn't more than 2 years old. Alternator is original. Is there anything else that could be causing this?

Car is a 98GT.

Egocentric
¯
Member # 9529

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egocentric  Ford pictures for Egocentric    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's not the battery, go with alternator.

--------------------
08 G37S
72 C10 Custom
R6

quote:
ain't no one tell me what to do. - NEIGHT

Posts: 1712 | From: NoOneTellMeWhatToDo-Neight | Registered: Oct 2009  |  :
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FivePTSlow  Ford pictures for FivePTSlow    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
easiest way to tell is to get your car started then remove only the positive battery cable... if it dies then 99% it's the alternator
Posts: 1857 | From: Sacramento | Registered: May 2007  |  :
KevinK
Tech Mod
Member # 9234

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KevinK  Ford pictures for KevinK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
First, your battery is dead. It needs to be recharged if it is still good. The aternator is not designed to recharge a dead battery. That's how you fry the alternator. The battery is about 500 amps so you need to put that back into the battery somewhat slowly. It can take 2 weeks to charge a battery correctly with a battery charger.
Next put a volt meter on it while the car is running to see if it maintains the 12-14 volts. It will die at about 8-9 volts. Otherwise you are just throwing parts at it.

Posts: 196 | From: San Mateo, CA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its a bad alternator. Over time, your alternator drained the battery. Even if the battery is completely dead, your alternator would continue to run the car after being jumped. Batteries are there to start the car and alternators are made to keep the car running and charge the battery at the same time.

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
$icInsane
¯
Member # 10068

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for $icInsane  Ford pictures for $icInsane    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
alternator

--------------------
49ERZ TILL I DIE!!!!
1989 DROP TOP 306

RioredGT
¯
Member # 2300

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for RioredGT  Ford pictures for RioredGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the replies guys [patriot]

It turned out to be the alternator. Went to Ford and got a replacement. The thing is, this "new" one whines like crazy, makes my car sound like if I have a Vortech under the hood. Probably gonna be taking it back for another one. They're not supposed to whine like that are they?

50DADDY
CAFords OG
Member # 3076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50DADDY  Ford pictures for 50DADDY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by RioredGT:
Thanks for the replies guys [patriot]

It turned out to be the alternator. Went to Ford and got a replacement. The thing is, this "new" one whines like crazy, makes my car sound like if I have a Vortech under the hood. Probably gonna be taking it back for another one. They're not supposed to whine like that are they?

NO!

--------------------
"Im not stupid,i just act that way so i dont make you dummies uncomfortable."

"Old age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill."

Posts: 4827 | From: Suckramento | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Take it back

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds like the new one has a faulty bearing

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2004 GT, vortech V2 si, 10 psi-
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Posts: 3432 | From: 707 vallejo/richmond 510 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  :
MACK.GT
¯
Member # 10461

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MACK.GT  Ford pictures for MACK.GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you got an external voltage regulator, you can just replace that. its only 50 bucks. but have autozone test your system. they can really isolate the problem. they did for me, and saved me some $$.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com