Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Heater core question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Heater core question
5LiterSpeeder
¯
Member # 8234

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5LiterSpeeder  Ford pictures for 5LiterSpeeder    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How do you guys with AC get the heater core box down enough to get the heater core out with the Ac lines connected??

--------------------
93'Ex 4cyl Notch TFS H/C/I 3.55s 4 wheel Cobra brakes, V2-SQ, 14 psi
RIP BRANDON, SILVERLX-

Posts: 561 | From: Healdsburg | Registered: Feb 2008  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
take the car to a shop before you start and have the a/c evacuated so you can unhook the lines, then when you're done have it refilled.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
5LiterSpeeder
¯
Member # 8234

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5LiterSpeeder  Ford pictures for 5LiterSpeeder    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You don't NEED to do that but it would definitely be the easier way to go about the project.

What I did took quite a while without breaking parts or cutting corners but IT CAN be done. I was able to get all four bolts out if the lId to the heater core with about an hour or so of pretty crappy grueling work. Once I finally got the heater core compartment lid off, the trick was getting the lid back in. I bent the back left edge if the lid up but not off with a pair of pliers and had a buddy push it in and on while I held the box assembly out and down as much as I could.
I will always recommend a factory repacement but if what you have is a garbage piece of craaaaap kregan one I'd take the extra money you would have spent and buy yourself a 30 pack or so and take your time.

--------------------
RIP BRANDON, SILVERLX-

rollin5ive0
¯
Member # 8592

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rollin5ive0  Ford pictures for rollin5ive0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
take a 30 min break before you start that process the less cross eyed and pissed off u are the less profanity and frustration that compounds the situation will occur

--------------------
875.0gt
90dtlx5.0
93blkvenumos5.0COBRA#3377
96redthundr4.6l4vCOBRA
964.6l2vGT
895.0lGT
93cleancorlgreen5.0GT
93meancoralgreen5.0GT

Posts: 1830 | From: 707 vacaville ca | Registered: Aug 2008  |  :
Vallejo707
¯
Member # 10296

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vallejo707  Ford pictures for Vallejo707    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by rollin5ive0:
take a 30 min break before you start that process the less cross eyed and pissed off u are the less profanity and frustration that compounds the situation will occur

+1

--------------------
PS3 Game Tag: BeAsVtown
Sold: 2007 Yamaha R6 "Candy"
Sold: 1989 Mustang Vert
Current: 2012 Mustang 5.0

Posts: 799 | From: Vallejo,Ca | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
KevinK
Tech Mod
Member # 9234

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KevinK  Ford pictures for KevinK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Plan on 4-8 hours to complete the job.
Posts: 197 | From: San Mateo, CA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
88FOX
¯
Member # 9969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88FOX  Ford pictures for 88FOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Took dam near 8 for me. Got the new core from pep boys to so dont be alarmd if your new one is aluminum thats how theyre coming now adays i believe. Also highly recomend the flow restricters that go into the inlet tube by the fire wall it keep it from building to much pressure in your core making the thing pop.. can look them up on 50resto. And as for the ac lines jus work around them going threw the trouble of them being connected is well worth the money a shop would rob you of to mess with ur ac. Good luck and definatly take breaks that job suxxxx
93ChpLuu
¯
Member # 10787

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93ChpLuu  Ford pictures for 93ChpLuu    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I used this article when I replaced my heater core..it was helpful and its much easier to disconnect the AC lines in order to remove the lid of the heater core. I tried to do it with out because I didnt have the tool to disconnect the line it wasnt budggin so i just bought one for 5 bucks and it makes it way easier..

http://www.mylrs.com/blogs/lrs/archive/2009/03/31/1979-1993-Fox-Mustang-Heater-Core-Replacement.aspx

Stang66
¯
Member # 10504

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stang66  Ford pictures for Stang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
took me about 3 hours

--------------------
1966 Ford Mustang
1990 Notchback
1975 Pontiac Trans Am 400ci

5LiterSpeeder
¯
Member # 8234

quote:
Originally posted by Stang66:
took me about 3 hours

Damm! 3 hrs with the Ac lines connected?? My hat is off to you. It took me at least twice that long but I was in no hurry also. How did you manage to get the 2 8mm screws out of the back of the lid so quickly?

--------------------
RIP BRANDON, SILVERLX-

93 hatch
¯
Member # 8100

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93 hatch  Ford pictures for 93 hatch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did mine in 1 hour 45 min with some help from a friend

--------------------
Dart shp 364 AFR 195.off the shelf cam TKO 600 twin disc RST 11.36 @ 120 N/A

Posts: 502 | From: sants rosa | Registered: Dec 2007  |  :
Stang66
¯
Member # 10504

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stang66  Ford pictures for Stang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 5LiterSpeeder:
quote:
Originally posted by Stang66:
took me about 3 hours

Damm! 3 hrs with the Ac lines connected?? My hat is off to you. It took me at least twice that long but I was in no hurry also. How did you manage to get the 2 8mm screws out of the back of the lid so quickly?
Actually the one i was working on had lid cut out above the heater core to take it out quicker.. Lol

--------------------
1966 Ford Mustang
1990 Notchback
1975 Pontiac Trans Am 400ci

tribal3579warrior
¯
Member # 5663

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribal3579warrior  Ford pictures for tribal3579warrior    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This is the article that I used way back when this feature came out in the stands. This was my very 1st time ever working on any car besides an oil change and replacing my brakes. This helped me out tremendously and didn't have to discharge the A/C.

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/mump_0102_heater_core_replacement/index.html

4.6WPRStang
¯
Member # 8685

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4.6WPRStang  Ford pictures for 4.6WPRStang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
did heater core change in my 96 gt mustang an it was a pain in the ass took my time so all together around 8 hours dont want to do it again lol

[ April 06, 2011, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: 4.6WPRStang ]

--------------------
96 GT saleen clone
91 5.0 saleen clone sold

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 87 hatch:
Did mine in 1 hour 45 min with some help from a friend

[Wink]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by tribal3579warrior:
This is the article that I used way back when this feature came out in the stands. This was my very 1st time ever working on any car besides an oil change and replacing my brakes. This helped me out tremendously and didn't have to discharge the A/C.

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/mump_0102_heater_core_replacement/index.html

ALL of the heater core replacements I've done have this article next to the car I'm working on. This is a GREAT step be step article. Nowadays I use it more to put the misc nuts and bolts ontop of each picture etc, but this article and a few hours of time makes for a clean install.

JUST MAKE SURE YOU PUT NEW COOLANT BACK IN AND IF THE COOLANT IS RUSTY THAT COMES OUT, HAVE THE ENTIRE COOLING SYSTEM FLUSHED AND FILLED WITH NEW COOLANT [Wink]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com