Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » brakes?need advice and help.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: brakes?need advice and help.
510.86.notch
¯
Member # 9892

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 510.86.notch  Ford pictures for 510.86.notch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so i have a 4 cylinder coupe mustang the hub/spindle bearing are bad.i also have a 88 turbo coupe.i wanted to throw the bearings and breaks from the turbo coupe to the mustang.are they compatible i'm assuming the turbo coupe brakes are better than the 4 cylinder mustangs?and what all parts do i need from the turbo coupe..any info will be greatly appreciated...thanks CAFORDS

[ March 17, 2011, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: 510.86.notch ]

--------------------
91 mustang coupe
84 mustang svo
89 mustang.4cyl5speed.
87 thunderbird turbo coupe-sold
86 mustang GT hatch-sold-kinda
86 mustang coupe-sold

Posts: 1062 | From: san leandro | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
ddarkslayer
¯
Member # 10688

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ddarkslayer  Ford pictures for ddarkslayer    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
that would work but why would you swap out from one car to another just buy grease and replacements
510.86.notch
¯
Member # 9892

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 510.86.notch  Ford pictures for 510.86.notch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im pretty much swapping everything from the turbo coupe to the 4 cylinder coupe motor,trans and im on a unemployed budget..brakes and bearings are brand new in the turbo coupe..are the turbo coupe brakes bigger than 4 cylinder?

--------------------
91 mustang coupe
84 mustang svo
89 mustang.4cyl5speed.
86 mustang coupe-sold

ddarkslayer
¯
Member # 10688

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ddarkslayer  Ford pictures for ddarkslayer    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
okay that makes sense. just regrease them. better insurance
510.86.notch
¯
Member # 9892

also how do you remove the spindle from rack n pinion and a arm?

--------------------
91 mustang coupe
84 mustang svo
89 mustang.4cyl5speed.
86 mustang coupe-sold

510.86.notch
¯
Member # 9892

anybody?kinda stuck here.i rented the ball joint removal tool not helping..any info will be greatly appreciated.

--------------------
91 mustang coupe
84 mustang svo
89 mustang.4cyl5speed.
86 mustang coupe-sold

tribal3579warrior
¯
Member # 5663

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribal3579warrior  Ford pictures for tribal3579warrior    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I use the ball joint remover that is shaped like a "U" and has a bolt through the middle. When using this tool, you have to make sure that the ball joint is vertical or as straight as possible and the bolt on the tool is straight on top of the ball joint volt. It can sometimes shift a bit off from center point and come at an angle and bend your ball joint bolts.

The fork style ball joint separator can help as well. However, this tool will rip your ball joint boot.

the universal pullers with hooks also can do the job. However, these are a lot harder to use because the hooks tend to slip a lot and/or the tool likes to move or shift most of the time.

510.86.notch
¯
Member # 9892

thanks.i ended up having some anger management on it with a hammer came out..still gotta do it again on my 4 cyl..thanks everybody for the help.

--------------------
91 mustang coupe
84 mustang svo
89 mustang.4cyl5speed.
86 mustang coupe-sold

Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pitman arm remover or 2 jaw puller works great

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2004 GT, vortech V2 si, 10 psi-
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Posts: 3432 | From: 707 vallejo/richmond 510 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  :
510.86.notch
¯
Member # 9892

yea the ball joint separator wasn't doing the job im gonna exchange it for the pitman arm remover..i'll let you guys know how that goes.thanks CARFORDS.

--------------------
91 mustang coupe
84 mustang svo
89 mustang.4cyl5speed.
86 mustang coupe-sold

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com