Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Pulling supercharger belt?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Pulling supercharger belt?
Bent70
¯
Member # 9694

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bent70  Ford pictures for Bent70    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm troubleshooting my engine and trying to run it without the supercharger boosting. Car ran before but now without the sc belt the engine wont hold idle and stay running unless i modulate the throttle. I did pull the top end prior to starting it and am sure everything is back to place.
I wonder if my timing is off if it is going through my msd ignition and boost timing retard box still.
Any ideas?

--------------------
some stangs and thangs

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Too many variables. You're not "boosting" a SC while at idle.

You may want to post your problem vs creating new ones by running a blown setup w/o the belt. I dare say a few of the spark plugs are probably fouled now...

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Bent70
¯
Member # 9694

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bent70  Ford pictures for Bent70    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was having issues with oil blowing out the dipstick...crankcase vent issue mostlikly from what i was told on here. So instead of finishing pulling the motor out i put the top end back on and wanted to try running it without the sc being part of the equation to see if the oil was still getting pressurized.
I put everything togather and started the car fine, but would immediatly die without giving it some throttle. I started it twice and ran for no more than 4 seconds or so the longest time.
Can i run it with the sc still on there, but no belt? The only thing sc dependant is the msd boost retard and possible the timing which is set to 10* intial. Plugs are stock heat temp.

--------------------
some stangs and thangs

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
john b!!!!! help this guy!!
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes, it can run w/o a belt. What injectors? Is there a tune for the setup?

Before you get too far...did you attempt any of the suggestions given in your last post?

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Fast472Mach1
¯
Member # 2559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fast472Mach1  Ford pictures for Fast472Mach1  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im not sure what the hell happened to this car. I put 15,000 miles on it after I built the thing without a single hiccup. Never had one issue. Do you want to sell the car? Send me a pm if you do. I only checked this site because someone mentioned my old car was on here. Just dont wait to long. I dont really hang out here on on any forums.

The car has 36lb injectors with matching mass air. The car was simply tuned with an MSD timing adjuster that pulled timing per pound of boost. Has had over 20,000 miles on it without a single issue until it was sold to this person. Thats the only tune it needed and ran flawlessly with it.

[ February 22, 2011, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: Fast472Mach1 ]

--------------------
11.7@116 1.7 60ft. N/A
11.4@124 1.9 60ft. 100NX

Posts: 639 | From: Laguna West | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you dont have a one way check valve(IN THE pcv SYSTEM) or a turbo coupe PCV valve it will blow the dipstick out and have oil every where. Your car wont pull with out the belt but it will run.

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

Bent70
¯
Member # 9694

Fast472mach1 I don't believe this is your car. I got it from woodland and was a supposed fresh rebuilt motor three month prior to my purchase.
http://www.californiafords.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=070906
No not selling the car. I has been great it just started with a leaking oil pan once I got it then shortly after waterpump gasket and then on the way to smog intake gasket went. After changing to eo# headers the oil out the dipstick issue started and that is where i am now.

Johnb
Like said 36lb injectors and matching maf. I am taking the advice from the other thread, but wanted to run it without the sc to see if the issue is still there and/or have other problems. Ie head gasket or rings.

--------------------
some stangs and thangs

Fast472Mach1
¯
Member # 2559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fast472Mach1  Ford pictures for Fast472Mach1  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I can assure you that is my old car. The person you bought it from purchased it from me.

The car does have a turbocoupe pcv. Again, the car had ran flawlessly several thousand miles prior to this. As far as the plugs are concerned, there is no reason for them to be fouled. The car is running off a stock ecu. I installed an MSD box and used a boost timing master to pull timing. I am not sure how familiar you are with boost but with all the issues I have heard about this car I have to ask if you turned the knob in the center console to 0 because it would pull harder that way. That is there to pull between 1-3 degrees of timing per pound of boost.

To smog that car you probably set the initial timing at 10 degrees. It does not like that but it very easily passes smog that way. Put the timing back to 15 initial. I do not recall what I set the fuel pressure at but I believe it was around 40psi. Make sure you didnt adjust it to high.

Sorry you are having issues with the car. It was dead reliable from the day I built it to the day I got rid of it. If you have any other questions about it you can feel free to ask but I covered everything that I did to the car up til that time.

And yes, I know that they pulled the engine out of it at one point. He wasnt lying to you about that. the engine was pulled when he changed cylinder heads. I believe he said it had a rear main seal leak at the time so that was the reasoning. I cannot say for sure whether they rebuilt it but I doubt he would lie to me about that being that Im the one who sold it to him and have known him for quite a few years. lol

This will really boil down to the fact that for whatever reason, you arent venting the crankcase pressure as I believe has already been mentioned. That is as far as you need to look for this particular problem.

[ February 24, 2011, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: Fast472Mach1 ]

--------------------
11.7@116 1.7 60ft. N/A
11.4@124 1.9 60ft. 100NX

Bent70
¯
Member # 9694

Thanks, yea I don't have any doubts on the previous owner he seemed like a good guy. The car was awesome and fun, just ran into a batch or bad luck.

When it first started leaking oil I did assume it was the pcv and did swap that out with a kragen one...looks like I should get the right one in there when its all said and done.
When I reset the timing before the oil issue it was back to 13-14*. I also swapped in the stock fuel regulator. I have yet to smog it though as I kept running into issues either mechanical or visual. Its been two years since I bought the damn thing and still don't have a pink since I can't get to the smog shop.

Today, I tried to get it running again, but still rough idle and its poping in the intake. From what I have read it could be timing, valves or mass air sensor. Timing is right and the valves should be good, since it was running perfect before I started pulling the topend and starting on the motor.
The egr and aic are new and calibrated....so I can't think of anything else.
I am getting to the point of ripping everything out and starting from scratch so I can fix everthing else at once.

--------------------
some stangs and thangs

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

quote:
Originally posted by Bent70:
Today, I tried to get it running again, but still rough idle and its poping in the intake. From what I have read it could be timing, valves or mass air sensor. Timing is right and the valves should be good, since it was running perfect before I started pulling the topend and starting on the motor.

If it's popping, it's either timing or a intake leak. How far did you tear down the top end?

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Bent70
¯
Member # 9694

Just pulled upper intake w/tb, injector harness and both ground straps to block.

--------------------
some stangs and thangs

87droptop50
Go Giants!
Member # 7185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87droptop50  Ford pictures for 87droptop50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
bent70 ive seen your car around in San Bruno A while ago, i saw this car before you bought it in bodega bay

--------------------
HighSpeed Motorsports
87Mustang Gt Conv kurgan tuned
03Harley F150 #5023
69El Camino SS396 -sold
99 f350 7.3 DRW

Fast472Mach1
¯
Member # 2559

I think you already answered your own question. If you didnt then it looks like John did it for you. Keep things simple. You say you had issues after pulling the intake off so you can probably track down your problem right there. I know you cant get to everything but spray around the upper to lower intake and see what you get. Or simply spend ten minutes taking it off and resealing it again I suppose. I am certain you have already checked this but there is a chance you have a cracked or unconnected vacuum line under the upper intake manifold also. Either way, you will nee to remove the upper intake to check that.

Worst case scenario, you can bring the car to Sac if you need someone to work on it. I can definately make the car pass smog legally.

--------------------
11.7@116 1.7 60ft. N/A
11.4@124 1.9 60ft. 100NX

Bent70
¯
Member # 9694

Right on I will pull the intake tomarrow and go from there.
I'll keep you in mind if i still have problems getting to smog. I have family in elk grove and a place for the car if needed.

--------------------
some stangs and thangs

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com