Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 1970 Ford Mustang Project

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 1970 Ford Mustang Project
MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustangNate  Ford pictures for MustangNate    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Okay, so I realize that this is the tech section not the general talk section. I am putting the thread here because I am nearly sure I will ask a question or 5 somewhere along the way.

So here's the skinny, I have a 1970 Mustang coupe. It has the original (230k miles) 3.3L 200cid I-6 and 3 Speed. The car is a great runner but I'm looking for a bit more low end grunt.

I've decided to do what many have done before me and do a junk yard turbo setup. Nothing extravagant, this isn't a street brawler or track car, just a get around town car that I may hop on a little here and there.

First things first, I've done a compression check. I've got 120 @ Cyl 1 and 140 on all other cylinders. I've decided this is good and I should be safe running some boost through her.

I went to the local junkyard and found an old LeBaron GTC, not sure what turbo is on it. Some have said it's a MHI TE04, some say it's a Garret TB03. I realize these turbos are rather small, but for my usage, town driving (maybe some long distance road trips), it should spool quick and serve me well enough.

I plan on basically just running a pipe from the factory exhaust manifold, to a turbo flange, mount the turbo, run the down pipe into the exhaust, and then a pipe into the stock 1bbl carb. I'm sure I'll stick a B.O.V. in there somewhere as well.

From what I understand, these small turbos typically run between 5 - 8 psi but some have seen 11psi.

Pics up in the next few days, wish me luck and I'm looking forward to any replies. Hopefully good ones. [Smile]

--------------------
1989 Mustang LX Vert, 5.0 Auto

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You're probably going to need to do something with the carb. That Autolite 1100 isn't going to be able to keep up with the boost. They're only rated at like 200cfm. Unfortunately the 170/200/250 head is a terrible head for performance because the intake "log" is not easily removeable. Clifford Performance makes an adapter to mount a Weber 2bbl to the factory intake. That may help, but they're still only rated at like 250cfm. There's also an adapter out there so you can run a Holley 2bbl which you can get in 350cfm and 500cfm. I'm certainly no blowthrough carb expert, but you may want to do some more research on what size carb you're going to need. Turbomustangs.com is a good place to start. There's also tweaks you need to do to the carb so it'll run right as a blowthrough. I doubt they make solid or nitrile floats for the Autolite 1100 or Weber carbs. The Holley is probably going to be a lot easier to modify for your application.

[ February 07, 2011, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: wilit ]

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Google search the turbo forums. They would be a lil more informative on this. I think your going to have carb issues as well. I don't think you'll implode the fuel bowls with that little of boost. More like running so lean you cause engine damage under boost. Good luck with the build. Sounds like a cool project.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com