Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » no power to inertia switch ???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: no power to inertia switch ???
94OnDuces
¯
Member # 9555

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94OnDuces  Ford pictures for 94OnDuces    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
where should i start checking to find out where the short could be?

there is power from the fuse under the hood
and ive swapped out the relay with a working one

--------------------
94 DROP GT
"Burn Rubber Not Your Soul"

Ryan_LX
¯
Member # 7089

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan_LX  Ford pictures for Ryan_LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You tested the fuel pump really under the seat with a volt meter?

--------------------
Jesus is king!

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the fuel pump relay turns the power on for the inertia switch.

the EEC relay turns the power on for the fuel pump relay

the ignition switch/PATS/EEC turns power on for the EEC relay.

work backwards.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Ryan_LX
¯
Member # 7089

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan_LX  Ford pictures for Ryan_LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
the fuel pump relay turns the power on for the inertia switch.

the EEC relay turns the power on for the fuel pump relay

the ignition switch/PATS/EEC turns power on for the EEC relay.

work backwards.

what he said, I was going to get to that [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jesus is king!

SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Look in the trunk on the left side kind of near the taillights. The inertia switch is mounted up against the back of the car. There should be a reset button on it. You dont hear the fuel pump turn on at all??

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
rollininmy50
¯
Member # 9067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rollininmy50  Ford pictures for rollininmy50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
have you messed with the solinoid lateley??the one on the inner fender next to the water bottle??, pretty sure youve checked it, cause i didnt have power to the fuel pump with the one wire disconnected
94OnDuces
¯
Member # 9555

Ford Icon 9 posted      Profile for 94OnDuces  Ford pictures for 94OnDuces    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so here is a lil update that might help with what im going thru now.

-so i checked for power at the switch = no power
-ran a power lead to the switch and pump turns on and stays on
-but for some reason if i run a new line from the positive wire for the inertia switch from the inside fuse box to the inertia switch itself in the trunk i also have power with the fuel pump stayin on constantly.

- the new problem just when i though i made progress when i check the fuel rails for fuel nothing is there even though the pump is whining
[Frown]

--------------------
94 DROP GT

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so what you've done is determined that your battery works, and your fuel pump will run when given +12v

what you haven't done, is you haven't determined if the ignition switch, the EEC, the EEC relay, or the fuel pump relay is being fired.

no pressure at the rails isn't good, how much gas is in the car? check to make sure the fuel lines aren't pinched, and that does mean checking all the way from the fuel filter up to the fuel rail.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
94OnDuces
¯
Member # 9555

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94OnDuces  Ford pictures for 94OnDuces    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok so i found out where i loose power.
i have power in the inertia power line all the way to the ANTI theft box that is located on the driver side in the trunk. when i turn the key on and off i here a clicking sound comming from that box.

after that box theres no power to the switch

car is a 94 gt vert 5.0 [Frown]

--------------------
94 DROP GT

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com