Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Help:power comes in and out under hard excelleration

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Help:power comes in and out under hard excelleration
Cali5.0Boy925
¯
Member # 10377

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Cali5.0Boy925  Ford pictures for Cali5.0Boy925    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My 88 5.0 lately has been cuttingout when I stab it itll lose all power as the rpms go up it cuts out as it trs to pull untill I let off causing it,to buck and jerk if I get on it slowly and gradually excellerat itll go,as high as I want no problem and also pinging some times in high gears getting on it obviously thats timing but I just recently got it checked and its set at 11 but it was at 9 befor does the fact that I have underdrives affect my timing and there reeeeeaaally underdriven extremely small crank pully my alternator doesnt even barely charge at idle lol any advice would help alot appriciate it I also couldnt get it to pass smog ill post on seperate convo thanks

--------------------
R.I.P 88 GT 5.0 SALEEN CLONE
~50 BOYZ~

Egocentric
¯
Member # 9529

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egocentric  Ford pictures for Egocentric    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If your alternator barely charges at idle, what do you think your smog pump does?

Also, the cutting up could be it getting too hot. Underdrive pulleys affect everything on the belt, fan, waterpump, etc.

[ January 25, 2011, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: x42bnx ]

--------------------
08 G37S
72 C10 Custom
R6

quote:
ain't no one tell me what to do. - NEIGHT

Posts: 1712 | From: NoOneTellMeWhatToDo-Neight | Registered: Oct 2009  |  :
dynoguy
¯
Member # 6457

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dynoguy  Ford pictures for dynoguy  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you might want to check your fuel pressure.

--------------------
Chris
BRG Racing/Dyno
(925)680-2560
chris@brgracing.com
www.brgracing.com

rollininmy50
¯
Member # 9067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rollininmy50  Ford pictures for rollininmy50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
does it take a few times to start?? like if you crank it over nothing, then again maybe it will start??, also turn the key on to her the pump,but dont start, after a couple times does the sound of the pump change like theres getting pressure, if not how old is the fuel pump??, not saying its bad if you can here it, but i just went threw a problem with it cranking over and over then pumped the gas and shed start up, reason being , the 4 inch rubber hose connected to the pump can crack and not give you enought pressure in the system, causing it to lagg off when stomping it to the floor, after 25 years that stock hose started to crap out, after i replaced it, the car ran like a bat out of hell..
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like a fuel issue...might be something as simple as a clogged fuel filter

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2004 GT, vortech V2 si, 10 psi-
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Posts: 3432 | From: 707 vallejo/richmond 510 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  :
SAV650HAB
¯
Member # 10324

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAV650HAB  Ford pictures for SAV650HAB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sydewayzLX50:
Sounds like a fuel issue...might be something as simple as a clogged fuel filter

im with you on this if its sputtering and popping while accelerating change that its easy to do and cheap.

--------------------
SAVAGE HABITS 'CAR CLUB' VP 650/510/707/209
NOR-CAL KINGZ....... YAH 2 CHAINZ!!!!!!
"WE OUT HERE" 7th ST....STEP IT UP A NOTCH
88 coupe FTW!

Posts: 5091 | From: SHOREVIEW E.S SAN MATEO | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
Cali5.0Boy925
¯
Member # 10377

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cali5.0Boy925  Ford pictures for Cali5.0Boy925    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yea I think it may be fuel too lil while ago my fuel pump had gone out and I got a whole new used gas tank and fuel pump unknown anoint of miles on it and when I open my gas cap there is aloooot of pressure built up you can hear the gas tank crinkle its bad so I'm sure I do need to replace my file filter but its always done that and the cutting out just started happening and its always had the pullies on it and ran fine until I changed my timing the first time I tryed to smog it the guy said to lean than I took the results to shop and they said guy was trippin that its to rich ryan tryed to smog again amd they said to much unburnt fuel and I can't figure out how to post the results on here from off my phone

--------------------
~50 BOYZ~

Egocentric
¯
Member # 9529

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egocentric  Ford pictures for Egocentric    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't let your car run on E, all the dirt and shit collects at the bottom of the tank and when you run low it will pick up all that garbage.

--------------------
08 G37S
72 C10 Custom
R6

quote:
ain't no one tell me what to do. - NEIGHT

Posts: 1712 | From: NoOneTellMeWhatToDo-Neight | Registered: Oct 2009  |  :
87LXblackpearl
¯
Member # 10409

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87LXblackpearl  Ford pictures for 87LXblackpearl    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it might be a stupid question but did u take out the number 1 spark plug and turn motor till number 1 piston was at top witch will in result turn rotor to the number 1 sparkplug on capp..????this will reset the whole timing back on point your car should run a whole lot better..if not that make sure all wires are seperate from each other not touching what so ever no zip ties this will make the car not run on all cylinders so do a visual inspection make sure your sparkplug wires are in order not touching eachother
Posts: 98 | From: RichCityCA. | Registered: Oct 2010  |  :
Cali5.0Boy925
¯
Member # 10377

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cali5.0Boy925  Ford pictures for Cali5.0Boy925    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mycars on e alot lol I was thinking that could come into ply too but ive always done that and this problem has just started and I havent pulled the number one plug and some of my wires are close to eachother but nothumg different than its always been the inly thing that ive done different is the timing I went from 9 to 11 and than like a week after maybe it started,doin this

--------------------
~50 BOYZ~

Cali5.0Boy925
¯
Member # 10377

Oh yea and my car does start pretty much right up even on the first start,of the day

--------------------
~50 BOYZ~

SAV650HAB
¯
Member # 10324

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAV650HAB  Ford pictures for SAV650HAB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 87LXblackpearl:
it might be a stupid question but did u take out the number 1 spark plug and turn motor till number 1 piston was at top witch will in result turn rotor to the number 1 sparkplug on capp..????this will reset the whole timing back on point your car should run a whole lot better..if not that make sure all wires are seperate from each other not touching what so ever no zip ties this will make the car not run on all cylinders so do a visual inspection make sure your sparkplug wires are in order not touching eachother

i have a few spark plug wires zip tied together and my car runs great.

--------------------
88 coupe FTW!

87LXblackpearl
¯
Member # 10409

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87LXblackpearl  Ford pictures for 87LXblackpearl    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SAV650HAB:
quote:
Originally posted by 87LXblackpearl:

i have a few spark plug wires zip tied together and my car runs great.
trust me it might run great but i had zip ties around my wires it did run great but guess what i took the zip tie off it started back firing so what i had to do is reset the whole timing by doing the above and it runs way better than it eva ran so take my advice...dont arc out your wires and throw your computer off...just follow the above trust me i've had about 13 mustangs im not new to this just sharing sum good advice
SAV650HAB
¯
Member # 10324

wasnt tryen to come off rude was unfamiliar about that being a problem my bad, so my wires will be bad once i seperate them from each other?

--------------------
88 coupe FTW!

87LXblackpearl
¯
Member # 10409

Ford Icon 10 posted      Profile for 87LXblackpearl  Ford pictures for 87LXblackpearl    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no your wires should be good depending on how old they are
Stimpys 5.0
¯
Member # 5829

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimpys 5.0  Ford pictures for Stimpys 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you might also want to check your FPR. mine was spitting gas out the vac port. replace it with a new reg and shes all ready now.
Cali5.0Boy925
¯
Member # 10377

Whats fpr

--------------------
~50 BOYZ~

90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90FoX  Ford pictures for 90FoX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Cali5.0Boy925:
Whats fpr

Fuel Pressure Regulator
Posts: 5364 | From: Shooting Skeet | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com