Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Ball Joint help!!!!!!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Ball Joint help!!!!!!!
SnakeBit
¯
Member # 8871

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnakeBit  Ford pictures for SnakeBit    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just installed new ball joints, new struts and new springs. I'm trying to finish up only 1 problem. The ball joint stud spins with the nut while I'm trying to tighten. It is definitely the right part and is seated correctly. The bottom does not spin just the stud and nut.

please help thanks!

--------------------
91 Coupe full M/M suspension
Maier WideBody
331 356 RWHP 357 RWTQ
Tuned by TPS MotorSports

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Either put the tire back on and downjack the car, putting weight on it...or put a jack under the A arm.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
SnakeBit
¯
Member # 8871

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnakeBit  Ford pictures for SnakeBit    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks for chiming in John. Well I jacked it up with the jack directly under the ball joint and it does the same thing. I cant put the tire on just yet, I'm waiting on my brake pads and rotor's. My buddy suggested a impact. Do you think that will work? Does the ball joint need to be pressed into the spindle since it is tapered? It was real tight when taking off.

--------------------
Maier WideBody
331 356 RWHP 357 RWTQ
Tuned by TPS MotorSports

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You could try a impact, using a extension.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
SnakeBit
¯
Member # 8871

Got it! Thanks [Big Grin]

--------------------
Maier WideBody
331 356 RWHP 357 RWTQ
Tuned by TPS MotorSports

mikeceli
¯
Member # 8389

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikeceli  Ford pictures for mikeceli    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I hope the taper on the new BJ was correct, for the spindle. Also both surfaces fre of debris. If it wasent and you forced it to tighten, it will get loose and ruin the BJ and spindle. Possibly break and cause a crash.
Posts: 33 | From: N. California, Sonoma County | Registered: May 2008  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com