Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » how much horsepower will i have? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: how much horsepower will i have?
Driftking209
¯
Member # 10458

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Driftking209  Ford pictures for Driftking209    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i just purchased a 1987 mustang gt 5.0 and im wondering how much horsepower i should get out of this set up

Mac long tubes

pypes x pipe

flow master cat back

GT40 heads

E303 cam

and a kargens intake lol

i got the 5.0 if anyone know what kind of power ill be making it would really help thanks. [patriot]

Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Maybe 230-260 rwhp

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2004 GT, vortech V2 si, 10 psi-
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Posts: 3432 | From: 707 vallejo/richmond 510 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  :
Driftking209
¯
Member # 10458

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Driftking209  Ford pictures for Driftking209    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok thank you i heard around 300 with a tune but i dont think its true
East Bay 50
¯
Member # 8081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for East Bay 50  Ford pictures for East Bay 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
225rwhp...

--------------------
Kurgan tuned stroked and blown 347 foxbody. boost nukka!

onesicklx
¯
Member # 285

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for onesicklx  Ford pictures for onesicklx  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
around 260-270..good luck
Posts: 1955 | From: san jose, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
not enough!! [Razz]

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

Driftking209
¯
Member # 10458

quote:
Originally posted by 03SVTPower:
not enough!! [Razz]

yea i know lol when the motor goes im try to do the 347
Raelsmar
¯
Member # 9804

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raelsmar  Ford pictures for Raelsmar    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What do you mean a kragen intake? Why even waste money? Buy a Cobra upper/lower,or even an Explorer intake before you buy a kragen intake. Lol. My boy may have one for sale.

[ December 02, 2010, 01:23 AM: Message edited by: 85notch5.0 ]

--------------------
2010 Genesis 2.0T

If you can read this, then it's burrito time

Originally posted by 2T0NE
Niners deserve to lose

Raiders Lakers A's

Posts: 3768 | From: Vallejo, CA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  :
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Never heard of that intake so had to guess. With a decent intake 250-260 whp. Those heads regular gt 40's or P's?

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not sure on the amount of power you will make(probably 250rwhp). Assuming you have all the boltons(pulleys, shorter belt..to be honest nothing wrong with the stock intake at this stage in your build and it will keep your torque down low which is what you want in a street car). I'd say concentrate on your suspension..get the power to the ground and swap some gears. I think a lot of people get caught up in the hp/tq bragging wars(lookee..lookee me at my dyno slip) and forget that it is more important and fun on using what you have and putting it to the ground (with driver skills and traction).

[ December 02, 2010, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: CobramanPhil ]

Posts: 1016 | From: California, Bay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CobramanPhil:
Not sure on the amount of power you will make(probably 250rwhp). Assuming you have all the boltons(pulleys, shorter belt..to be honest nothing wrong with the stock intake at this stage in your build and it will keep your torque down low which is what you want in a street car). I'd say concentrate on your suspension..get the power to the ground and swap some gears. I think a lot of people get caught up in the hp/tq bragging wars(lookee..lookee me at my dyno slip) and forget that it is more important and fun on using what you have and putting it to the ground (with driver skills and traction).

Well said...i like having a well-balanced street car. No use having 500hp with stock brakes and suspension LoL car wont last too long.

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Driftking209
¯
Member # 10458

quote:
Originally posted by 85notch5.0:
What do you mean a kragen intake? Why even waste money? Buy a Cobra upper/lower,or even an Explorer intake before you buy a kragen intake. Lol. My boy may have one for sale.

It was on the car lol and thanks for all the help and i got one more question whats the differences between gt40 and gt40p heads im confused lol
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

GT40 heads have slightly bigger valves (1.84/1.54), GT40P have smaller valves (1.78/1.46) but they flow better because of port design and lack of thermactor passages. For GT40P's you need special headers and/or spark plugs wires for them to fit and theres no thermactor holes in the back of the heads so you have to plug the air lines coming from the smog pump.

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Driftking209
¯
Member # 10458

quote:
Originally posted by sydewayzLX50:
GT40 heads have slightly bigger valves (1.84/1.54), GT40P have smaller valves (1.78/1.46) but they flow better because of port design and lack of thermactor passages. For GT40P's you need special headers and/or spark plugs wires for them to fit and theres no thermactor holes in the back of the heads so you have to plug the air lines coming from the smog pump.

ok thank you really appreciate it [patriot]
copcar
¯
Member # 10113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for copcar  Ford pictures for copcar    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
87? Speed density?? That cam is going to make drivability so shitty that power will make no difference.
Krz88lx
¯
Member # 4261

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Krz88lx  Ford pictures for Krz88lx  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Actually non mass air cars run pretty good wit those bolt ons.. In till you really start adding major mods, then you shall probably upgrade to mass air [patriot]

[ December 03, 2010, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Krz88lx ]

--------------------
Krz4rd5

copcar
¯
Member # 10113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for copcar  Ford pictures for copcar    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hmmm. My experiece has shown different results. Until proven wrong I think I would reevaluate the cam choice, unless a profesional tune is soon to follow installation. A cam install is hardly a "bolt on." Given the fickle nature of the SD computer I would recommend a MAF swap before moving forward.
Driftking209
¯
Member # 10458

quote:
Originally posted by copcar:
Hmmm. My experiece has shown different results. Until proven wrong I think I would reevaluate the cam choice, unless a profesional tune is soon to follow installation. A cam install is hardly a "bolt on." Given the fickle nature of the SD computer I would recommend a MAF swap before moving forward.

what is a MAF this first car im really gonna start to build i had 04 didnt get to do anything to it.
50DADDY
CAFords OG
Member # 3076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50DADDY  Ford pictures for 50DADDY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Kragen makes intakes? [Confused]

--------------------
"Im not stupid,i just act that way so i dont make you dummies uncomfortable."

"Old age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill."

Posts: 4827 | From: Suckramento | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Driftking209
¯
Member # 10458

quote:
Originally posted by 50DADDY:
Kragen makes intakes? [Confused]

Its where the guy got it from
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Driftking209:
quote:

what is a MAF this first car im really gonna start to build i had 04 didnt get to do anything to it.
MAF or mass air flow meter is a sensor in the intake track that came stock on 88 california 5.0 car's and 89 and up. Switching to mass air allow's Your computer to know the amount of air Your engine is drawing in, and from the calculation's from the mass air meter the computer can react to an increase in airflow "engine modification's" . Rite now You have a speed density setup which run's on fixed values of air entering the engine which is why if You start changing part's that draw more air into the engine "head's, cam, and intake" then it will throw off the computer and make the car run like shit. Was looking at Your mod list and did'nt see a throttle body or spacer?

--------------------

Driftking209
¯
Member # 10458

quote:
Originally posted by SmokinLX:
quote:
quote:

MAF or mass air flow meter is a sensor in the intake track that came stock on 88 california 5.0 car's and 89 and up. Switching to mass air allow's Your computer to know the amount of air Your engine is drawing in, and from the calculation's from the mass air meter the computer can react to an increase in airflow "engine modification's" . Rite now You have a speed density setup which run's on fixed values of air entering the engine which is why if You start changing part's that draw more air into the engine "head's, cam, and intake" then it will throw off the computer and make the car run like shit. Was looking at Your mod list and did'nt see a throttle body or spacer?
im new to modding never done anything to any cars i had 04 didnt do anything to it what would i all need to run with all those mods? other then throttle body and space and MAF
Fake Moderator
Member # 6395

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moderator  Ford pictures for Moderator    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No worries playerive been a modder all my life I had an 86. I also had to convert to mass air when I did ported gt40s.loved them honestly gt40 heads are the BEST . I did make helllla power

--------------------
I'm forddude510/86gt pretending to be a moderator. At first I thought it would be funny to change my name and act like a mod. Now the real mods have caught on and locked in this signature so I can't change it. I probably don't think it's funny anymore, but I like their sense of humor!

Driftking209
¯
Member # 10458

quote:
Originally posted by Moderator:
No worries playerive been a modder all my life I had an 86. I also had to convert to mass air when I did ported gt40s.loved them honestly gt40 heads are the BEST . I did make helllla power

what would u prefer gt40 or gt40p?
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinLX:
quote:
quote:

im new to modding never done anything to any cars i had 04 didnt do anything to it what would i all need to run with all those mods? other then throttle body and space and MAF
I would ditch the E cam and get a cobra intake "don't get the chinese crap one". Change fuel filter, cap & plug's, thermostat, and oil change after the head swap. Also do You have roller rocker's?

--------------------

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com