Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » white milky stuff in oil cap

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: white milky stuff in oil cap
66_5.0
¯
Member # 9974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66_5.0  Ford pictures for 66_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was doing my oil change and came across this. I had overheating issues and i thought i had fixed it cuz it was running good. But now not sure, doesnt this mean my head gaskets are bad?
[IMG]http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b453/66_pony/2010-11-25142215.jpg[/I'MG]
 -

--------------------
1966 Mustang

E's 89COUPE
¯
Member # 6569

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for E's 89COUPE  Ford pictures for E's 89COUPE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes

--------------------
SIDE JOBS PERFORMANCE & GENERAL MECHANIC 510-875-0502 EDDIE

2005 F150
89.LX COUPE
68.Cougar
89 civic HB

1fastmach1
¯
Member # 10137

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1fastmach1  Ford pictures for 1fastmach1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ur heagasket is gone bro need 2 fix asap before u mees more stuff upp

--------------------
REDLINE MOTORSPORTS CC EST 2011
1993 CHP sold
2004 mach 1 408 Windsor n20 fed
R.I.P. JORGE GUTIERREZ JR
6/13/1982- 11/05/2013

Posts: 2592 | From: clawwwitter to 7th st | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
headgaskets..went threw that prob bout a month ago

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
rollininmy50
¯
Member # 9067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rollininmy50  Ford pictures for rollininmy50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do a compression test,
mikeceli
¯
Member # 8389

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikeceli  Ford pictures for mikeceli    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You have coolant in the crankcase. Compression may or may not be affected.

--------------------
God Bless America!

88 Mark VII LSC/00 Excursion Diesel/94 Thunderbird SC/01 Corvette/79 "Bandit" Trans Am/83 Cordoba

Posts: 33 | From: N. California, Sonoma County | Registered: May 2008  |  :
phonso302
¯
Member # 9260

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phonso302  Ford pictures for phonso302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by rollininmy50:
Do a compression test,

What good is that??? There is clearly coolant mixing with oil.as stated above your problem is clealy going to be a headgasket.
sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I assume by the post that the oil looks fine and the cap is the only thing that had that. Also it will look like that on the valve covers.

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6940 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
66_5.0
¯
Member # 9974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66_5.0  Ford pictures for 66_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sic70stang:
I assume by the post that the oil looks fine and the cap is the only thing that had that. Also it will look like that on the valve covers.

Yea the cap had it as well as the neck of the valve cover.

--------------------
1966 Mustang

66_5.0
¯
Member # 9974

quote:
Originally posted by 66_5.0:
quote:
Originally posted by sic70stang:

Yea the cap had it as well as the neck of the valve cover.
So would i need a compression test?

--------------------
1966 Mustang

sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well I'd pressure test the cooling system if anything. Do you have low coolant ever? is it staying filled? I had that on my oil cap on my 50 and I cleaned it and never came back. its been 2 years. It may be nothing . Clean it off check the condition of your oil day to day. See if this happens again as mine never did it again.

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6940 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
drain the oil..compression test to..i think if the timing cover has a crack in it it can leak coolant into oil..but usually it will be the head gasket

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
50DADDY
CAFords OG
Member # 3076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50DADDY  Ford pictures for 50DADDY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Seen this alot on engines with absolutely no problems at all.Its called...."condensation",...LOL!

--------------------
"Im not stupid,i just act that way so i dont make you dummies uncomfortable."

"Old age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill."

Posts: 4827 | From: Suckramento | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The compression may or may not help you.

How I found my leak is by using a leak down tester.

You hook it up like a compression tester thru the spark plug hole. You do the test on each cylinder by popping off the distributor cap and following the firing order. (example: the rotor is pointer to cylinder#1 fire, hook the tool to that cylinder.) Then you hook the air compressor up to the tool and shove air into the cylinder. While the air is going into the cylinder, if the guage shows there is a leak you need to track it down. If found mine by popping off the radiator cap and putting my ear next to the fill hole. I then heard the bubbles coming up. I would check cylinder #1 and #5 first in your case.

Good luck and stay away from that GM orange coolant!!! [Smile]

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 50DADDY:
Seen this alot on engines with absolutely no problems at all.Its called...."condensation",...LOL!

+1

it's not a sign of a problem, it's an indicator that could mean absolutely nothing, or when combined with other signs could mean a failed gasket.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
CobraCoupe
¯
Member # 7233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobraCoupe  Ford pictures for CobraCoupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 50DADDY:

I had the same thing going on with my car, new trick flow top end with less than 1500 mi and my car would do the same thing but it wouldnt lose any water. I would drive it on short drives for commute and my commute would be like 3 miles so it wouldn't really get the engine hot enough to burn off the condensation, so I would clean the cap and check the next day same thing but if I went on the freeway for a few exits or drive it for like 15-20 mins and check it was gone and that was almost 2 years ago and it still runs strong

--------------------
1965 Mustang convertible
2004 Ford Lightning #0537

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I see that a lot on forklifts that don't get driven very often or don't get warmed all the way up. Condensation builds in the valve cover and gets in the oil cap. Do you drive the car all the time or does it sit a lot? I also had this same issue with some tall aluminum valve covers I had, the problem was there on 3 different engines.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com