Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » how to swap front fox springs

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: how to swap front fox springs
NINETY#FIFTY
¯
Member # 4866

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NINETY#FIFTY  Ford pictures for NINETY#FIFTY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what is the easiest way to take out my stock springs on the front of my 93 foxbody? what do I remove? I dont have that special ford spring compressor.

--------------------
1990 #50 SALEEN 31K
1988 #363 SALEEN 68K
1993 #2572 COBRA 31k
1993 ACURA INTEGRA 102k
2014 HYUNDAI SONATA 171k

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Strut off the spindle, swaybar endlinks off, stand on the control arm and the spring can be pried out, stick a long prybar under the bottom coil and work it out of the pocket.

You can also remove the control arm from the k member.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
also pickup some pry bars to to help put the spring back in. no spring compressor is needed to do lowering springs on our cars.

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
As venemous99 points out, typically with a short spring you won't need anything to get the spring into the perch.

With slightly taller springs, I will drop the A-arm from the K-member while it remains connected to the strut.

Works magnificently. I've done at least 10 sets of springs in this fashion.

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
915.0gt
¯
Member # 9518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 915.0gt  Ford pictures for 915.0gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
easiest way out is to pull the front springs out is to take off the tire, brakes, unmount sway bar, spindle, shcok. have a jack under the control arm with some tension on is so it doesnt slam down from the pressure of the spring, once everything is unbolted lower the jack and the control arm will lower wayyyyyyyy down reach in and just pull it out (u may need a pry bar but it wont take much if at all any effort to pull it)

easiest way in is to hold the spring in place lift the control arm up then use the jack to compress the spring and bolt everything back up

i tried using the spring compressor tool when i did my springs and i couldnt get it to fit on the coils, the front coils were to fat around

TAY
¯
Member # 9775

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TAY  Ford pictures for TAY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 915.0gt:
easiest way out is to pull the front springs out is to take off the tire, brakes, unmount sway bar, spindle, shcok. have a jack under the control arm with some tension on is so it doesnt slam down from the pressure of the spring, once everything is unbolted lower the jack and the control arm will lower wayyyyyyyy down reach in and just pull it out (u may need a pry bar but it wont take much if at all any effort to pull it)

easiest way in is to hold the spring in place lift the control arm up then use the jack to compress the spring and bolt everything back up

i tried using the spring compressor tool when i did my springs and i couldnt get it to fit on the coils, the front coils were to fat around

+1

--------------------
IF THA PRICE IS RITE

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com