Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » EGR Question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: EGR Question
cflores
¯
Member # 7319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cflores  Ford pictures for cflores    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've looked around and i didn't really find an answer for this like i thought i would. I know they make block off plates, etc. I don't have any smog stuff, I actually already took it off and made a block plate for it, I just wanted to see if there was any advantage of leaving it hooked up, or if i was maybe wrong to remove it. Thanks
Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
egr is only closed at idle and WOT so you wont get any performance gains. you will lose some mpg. I say leave it hooked up

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
cflores
¯
Member # 7319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cflores  Ford pictures for cflores    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know nothing will come out of it performance wise, all i wont to know is if it would cause any problems w the comp. or anything? and how bad of a hit will the MPG take?
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cflores:
I know nothing will come out of it performance wise, all i wont to know is if it would cause any problems w the comp. or anything? and how bad of a hit will the MPG take?

leave the egr on it help cool cylder head temp down
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Will screw with the PCM if it's not hooked up, you'll kill 2-3 MPG easily due to increased cylinder temps, and it won't pass smog.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What about those EGR 'fooler' plug in's that simulate the Egr valve. I know a few early Mustangs with EFI that use the egr simulators with no problems. I have read on sbftech that they pull off EGR's all the time and that the computer will trip the CEL but when the computer no longer gets a signal from the EVP, that it will bypass the EGR and have no effect on drivability. The EGR simulators are simply designed to keep the CEL's from coming on.

BTW, this is for EECIV, not OBD2.

[ October 04, 2010, 02:58 AM: Message edited by: phildog ]

cflores
¯
Member # 7319

quote:
Originally posted by phildog:
What about those EGR 'fooler' plug in's that simulate the Egr valve. I know a few early Mustangs with EFI that use the egr simulators with no problems. I have read on sbftech that they pull off EGR's all the time and that the computer will trip the CEL but when the computer no longer gets a signal from the EVP, that it will bypass the EGR and have no effect on drivability. The EGR simulators are simply designed to keep the CEL's from coming on.

BTW, this is for EECIV, not OBD2.

I read about the same deal taking place. That disconnecting it will make the comp. discard the EGR signal and not effect the motor in any way, but thats why i was asking about it, I wasnt to sure if this statement holds any truth to it. anyone know for sure???
copcar
¯
Member # 10113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for copcar  Ford pictures for copcar    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The egr sim only kills the check engine light. You will have the same negative issues associated with not having one installed.(typically hot start issues and mpg) I tested this when I did all of the exhaust testing on the dyno back home. I also tested the smog pump as well. 0 power loss at all rpm ranges both EGR and smog pump.

--------------------
12.37@ 109.34.NA 894DA Old Nitto 555 DR's Gt40 irons. B cam/1.7's, All emissions equipment on the car, stock air box. UPR catted X pipe.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com