Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » power diffetences between an E cam and F cam

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: power diffetences between an E cam and F cam
84SVOrick
¯
Member # 9039

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 84SVOrick  Ford pictures for 84SVOrick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Will i really notice a gain or wut? Currently have an e cam

--------------------
Bay Area Stunnaz
RIP Jeannera "FOXY302"
10/29/87-10/9/10
1984 SVO 302 HCI a basic bitch
1986 GT FOXY302 stolen and totaled R.I.P.

Posts: 1928 | From: Vallejo CA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  :
phonso302
¯
Member # 9260

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phonso302  Ford pictures for phonso302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If I remember correctly the f cam isn't smog legal... can someone verify thi or correct me
code:

84SVOrick
¯
Member # 9039

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 84SVOrick  Ford pictures for 84SVOrick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not worried about smog

--------------------
Bay Area Stunnaz
RIP Jeannera "FOXY302"
10/29/87-10/9/10

copcar
¯
Member # 10113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for copcar  Ford pictures for copcar    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The F is not technically not smog legal but getting one to pass is fairly easy. My Bcam w/1.7's passes cleaner than a stock car. As to the power difference, that depends on the rest of the combination. On a mild combo (gt40 heads) look to pick up maybe 15 to the wheels with a much more broad powerband. On a more aggressive setup look to see around 20-25. I have always had a ton of success with the F.
Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Obvious  Ford pictures for Captain Obvious    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the F-cam reminds me of a B-cam with 1.7 [Wink]
it will be a fun setup for sure [patriot]

--------------------
It's NOT illegal. It's just frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane.

84SVOrick
¯
Member # 9039

quote:
Originally posted by copcar:
The F is not technically not smog legal but getting one to pass is fairly easy. My Bcam w/1.7's passes cleaner than a stock car. As to the power difference, that depends on the rest of the combination. On a mild combo (gt40 heads) look to pick up maybe 15 to the wheels with a much more broad powerband. On a more aggressive setup look to see around 20-25. I have always had a ton of success with the F.

Wow so that big of a difference same set up but jus different cams? I have gt40s which im havein a valve job done so figuring out wut a cam will change

--------------------
Bay Area Stunnaz
RIP Jeannera "FOXY302"
10/29/87-10/9/10

copcar
¯
Member # 10113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for copcar  Ford pictures for copcar    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ill give you this to think about, Before I gave my Dad my 89gt it ran 12.90/13.0's with the E cam. When I switched it to an F it ran 12.70's. Same everything. This was a very mild setup. Y heads and an unported gt40 tubular/ shorties and a 3.73. It depends on what you want the car to do. I realy like my B/1.7's. My current combo is extremely mild and runs 12.40's at 109 like clockwork. gt40 irons, stock valves, ported cobra intake, 3.90 gear, Nitto dr's (crap tire) and upr catted X. All smog is hooked up, stock air box, ps and smog pump running. No bs, just a good package. I ran 12.50 at 108 through the stock cats.

--------------------
12.37@ 109.34.NA 894DA Old Nitto 555 DR's Gt40 irons. B cam/1.7's, All emissions equipment on the car, stock air box. UPR catted X pipe.

gercolla1
¯
Member # 3068

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gercolla1  Ford pictures for gercolla1  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Ill give you this to think about, Before I gave my Dad my 89gt it ran 12.90/13.0's with the E cam. When I switched it to an F it ran 12.70's. Same everything. This was a very mild setup. Y heads and an unported gt40 tubular/ shorties and a 3.73. It depends on what you want the car to do. I realy like my B/1.7's. My current combo is extremely mild and runs 12.40's at 109 like clockwork. gt40 irons, stock valves, ported cobra intake, 3.90 gear, Nitto dr's (crap tire) and upr catted X. All smog is hooked up, stock air box, ps and smog pump running. No bs, just a good package. I ran 12.50 at 108 through the stock cats.

is this a all drag setup car or stock suspension

--------------------
Sf Bay Area

Posts: 2171 | From: Sampan San Francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
copcar
¯
Member # 10113

The GT has Mac upper and lower control arms with stock springs all around with Tokiko adjustable struts. My SSP has Hotchkis upper and lower rear control arms, B springs in the rear. The front is stock springs and stock struts. Both cars are full weight/full interior/full accessory with no cage. No icing of the intake and no short belt/belt delete. The GT was run on BFG Dr's and my coupe ran on Nittos

--------------------
12.37@ 109.34.NA 894DA Old Nitto 555 DR's Gt40 irons. B cam/1.7's, All emissions equipment on the car, stock air box. UPR catted X pipe.

theturbofrdguy
¯
Member # 10224

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for theturbofrdguy  Ford pictures for theturbofrdguy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The F Cam profile also works great for power adder applications.

The idle is a bit rougher, and makes more peak power then the E cam. However, add some 1.7's and the lift will match an F cam with slightly less duration

--------------------
1985 SVO - T3/T4 .63AR turbo upgrade, Front Mount IC, CAI ect. SDS Standalone ECU and 55lb injectors soon + 28PSI of boost coming soon.

threethirty1
¯
Member # 7814

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for threethirty1  Ford pictures for threethirty1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
The GT has Mac upper and lower control arms with stock springs all around with Tokiko adjustable struts. My SSP has Hotchkis upper and lower rear control arms, B springs in the rear. The front is stock springs and stock struts. Both cars are full weight/full interior/full accessory with no cage. No icing of the intake and no short belt/belt delete. The GT was run on BFG Dr's and my coupe ran on Nittos

Nice times and mph..
Bring your car out to Infienon one wed. night

copcar
¯
Member # 10113

The big problem with the E is the exhaust. Like I have posted before, the trick with the E is to run it advanced 4* and run 1.7's on the exhust. The exhaust opens too late with the E and GT40 heads need alll the help they can get on the exhaust side. In a carbed application the E works great with better heads. BTW Crane still offers it:

http://cranecams.com/?show=browseParts&lvl=2&prt=5&Vehicle_Type=Auto&Cylinders=8&Engine_Make=FORD-MERCURY&Year=1990&Engine_Size=302%20C.I.&partNumber=444231&partType=camshaft

As well as the X cam

http://cranecams.com/?show=browseParts&lvl=2&prt=5&Vehicle_Type=Auto&Cylinders=8&Engine_Make=FORD-MERCURY&Year=1990&Engine_Size=302%20C.I.&partNumber=449661&partType=camshaft

--------------------

copcar
¯
Member # 10113

[/qb][/QUOTE]Nice times and mph..
Bring your car out to Infienon one wed. night [/QB][/QUOTE]

I'm dying to. One of the first things I did when I found out I was getting transferred here was look up the elevation and DA's at Infinion. I'm used to Fri/Sat/Sun back home. This Wed night stuff makes it tough to get up there.

[ September 23, 2010, 01:22 AM: Message edited by: copcar ]

--------------------

Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the f cam was my first choice in a camshaft..i think you will like it rick [Wink]
Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
BruhBrahBrad
¯
Member # 9497

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruhBrahBrad  Ford pictures for BruhBrahBrad  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So technically the F cam isnt smog legal, but you say it will easily pass smog, How do you that?
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Mach 5oh:
So technically the F cam isnt smog legal, but you say it will easily pass smog, How do you that?

All of the alphabet cam's have passed the sniffer.

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

lxhatch5.0
¯
Member # 6319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lxhatch5.0  Ford pictures for lxhatch5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
B Cam with 1.7rr = X Cam with 1.6rr I think thats the strongest alphabet cams and u dont have to mix nd match with the rr just slap em retard em to the degrees specified and haul ass. I had Trickflow TW Eddelbrock Performer intake 70mm throtle body 70mm mass air 24lb injectors 255lph walbro fuel pump. I ran the B-Cam with 1.7rr 10* retarted on a stock rebuilt 306 and ran real strong. [patriot]

--------------------
*NorCal

415LX
Member # 10270

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 415LX  Ford pictures for 415LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinLX:
quote:
Originally posted by Mach 5oh:

All of the alphabet cam's have passed the sniffer.
Just picked up a 91 with F-cam. Have to admit I was very nervous about it passing. The smog tech was cool, he pretested it for me but laughed when he saw the numbers. Took it home cranked the timing back to 10, dropped the fuel pressure, and changed the oil. Got the cats hot, went back and passed. At an idle it was ugly but when they ran it up to 15mph it cleared out and passed no problem. I think if I had a better tune it wouldn't have even been a problem.
copcar
¯
Member # 10113

Firstly, not all of the letter cams have passed CARB certification, only the Ecam. Also the Bcam with 1.7's is not = to an X cam...Not by a long shot. The Zcam is the nastiest Fod letter cam and there is no way in hell that thing passes. As to the F cam pasing emissions, Fairly easy as long as you have good cats. And as far as someone having a Bcam "retarded 10* or "retarding to the degrees specified......" Seriously?....

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com