Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Widest Tire On A 9in Wheel?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Widest Tire On A 9in Wheel?
lxhatch5.0
¯
Member # 6319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lxhatch5.0  Ford pictures for lxhatch5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Whats the widest I can go on a 18x9 rim with out it bulging out too much? What are you guys running that looks big out the back of the car 185's 295's but still fits the wheel perfectly. Let me know i want to hear some otptions

[ September 22, 2010, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: lxhatch5.0 ]

--------------------
*NorCal

5.0 with some go
¯
Member # 8248

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 with some go  Ford pictures for 5.0 with some go    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
275 or 285 would bet he max but depends on the manufacturer of the tire..some run wider then others currently I run a 295 good year on a 10inch rim and its a perfect fit.
Posts: 247 | From: walnut creek ,ca | Registered: Feb 2008  |  :
RAP66
¯
Member # 3360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RAP66  Ford pictures for RAP66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
275's here

--------------------
91GT Kurgan Tuned:12lbs of boost 492.4 rwhp / 483.1 rwtq
http://killcarb.org/

www.fordstrokers.com

Posts: 893 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
1fastmach1
¯
Member # 10137

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1fastmach1  Ford pictures for 1fastmach1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i got 18x9 and i use 285 with no problem

--------------------
REDLINE MOTORSPORTS CC EST 2011
1993 CHP sold
2004 mach 1 408 Windsor n20 fed
R.I.P. JORGE GUTIERREZ JR
6/13/1982- 11/05/2013

Posts: 2592 | From: clawwwitter to 7th st | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
285's are proly the widest you can go on a 17 or 18 inch wheel but the 275 series will fit best... if they're on a fox , you either have to elminate the quadshocks , pound them in or just buy aftermarket ones... I wouldn't reccomend eliminating them completely unless u have a torque arm , panhard bar and upper/lower control arms. Believe me , I tried that one time on a stock 91 mustang and the fucker was bouncing all over the place!!!
lxhatch5.0
¯
Member # 6319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lxhatch5.0  Ford pictures for lxhatch5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah thats what I was told that I mite get wheel hop if i remove the quads. Im gunna try the 285's nitto nt555 and see if that clears the nittos run small I heard

--------------------
*NorCal

89 306
¯
Member # 9042

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89 306  Ford pictures for 89 306    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got 295s on my 17s in the rear fit perfect

--------------------
02 mustang gt...mods soon to come!

89 lx: 306. edelbrock. heads..ported gt 40 manifolds..and all that other good stuff.

------------------
The ant-ghetto sign is no joke. Degrade this forum with ghetto behavior and get the boot. Ghetto behavior such as street slang, no regard for education (spelling & grammar) and threatening others with violence has no place on CAFords.com. Please find another forum to demonstrate such behavior.

SN95_Momba
¯
Member # 5842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SN95_Momba  Ford pictures for SN95_Momba    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hehe....I have 315's on my 17 in the rear that fit just fine....

--------------------
1990 Mustangh LX/Vert
2000 Mustang GT
1990 Mustang notch LX 331 blown out :(

coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SN95_Momba:

Nice !!! [Big Grin]
strokingmyfords
¯
Member # 8952

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for strokingmyfords  Ford pictures for strokingmyfords    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SN95_Momba:

what size off set do the rims have to be

--------------------
94 cobra mustang 347 stroker 10.90 @ 124 1.48 60ft in redding
01 7.3 powerstroke 30#psi stock turbo
90 mustang gt wife's

Posts: 173 | From: redding\sac | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Nifty50:
285's are proly the widest you can go on a 17 or 18 inch wheel but the 275 series will fit best... if they're on a fox , you either have to elminate the quadshocks , pound them in or just buy aftermarket ones... I wouldn't reccomend eliminating them completely unless u have a torque arm , panhard bar and upper/lower control arms. Believe me , I tried that one time on a stock 91 mustang and the fucker was bouncing all over the place!!!

really just need to have good lower control arms, not just any aftermarket ones, but good ones that correct the problems in the stockers.

I get zero wheel hop with MM HD adj. lca's with 275's on 17x9s with no quad shocks. With and without the PHB it made no difference. Changing the upper control arms should never be done unless it's a straight line only car, so having super stiff aftermarket upper arms will certainly contribute to wheel hop as the rear end binds.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
SN95_Momba
¯
Member # 5842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SN95_Momba  Ford pictures for SN95_Momba    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think my offset is +27mm

--------------------
1990 Mustangh LX/Vert
2000 Mustang GT

SN95_Momba
¯
Member # 5842

However my size 17x10.5

--------------------
1990 Mustangh LX/Vert
2000 Mustang GT

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com