Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Look at my smog chart..need help

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Look at my smog chart..need help
gq916
¯
Member # 8540

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gq916  Ford pictures for gq916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so i have bassani midlenth headers, bassani x pipe with cats, and slp II..check out the chart and let me know what you guys think

-

--------------------
Zinc Yellow 2003 Mach1
Maximum Motorsport Suspension

White 1996 Cobra-Sold 3/2013
Tuned by ForceFed
AED Dyno 308rwhp 283rwtq SAE

Posts: 306 | From: sacramento | Registered: Jul 2008  |  :
Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
egr system

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Adam5.0:
egr system

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
98Snake
¯
Member # 183

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98Snake  Ford pictures for 98Snake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Any other mods to the engine?
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
+1 on the egr

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2004 GT, vortech V2 si, 10 psi-
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Posts: 3432 | From: 707 vallejo/richmond 510 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  :
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check the egr first an the cats may not do enough for nox redaction being there onl two insteed of four cats
gq916
¯
Member # 8540

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gq916  Ford pictures for gq916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 98Snake:

just JLT intake pretty much...car idles fine tho..how could it be the egr valve? ill still check it tho

I also have a custom tune..could that be affecting anything?

--------------------
Zinc Yellow 2003 Mach1

Tuned by ForceFed

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by gq916:
quote:

just JLT intake pretty much...car idles fine tho..how could it be the egr valve? ill still check it tho

only if the tune turned off the EGR.

EGR has absolutely nothing to do with idle quality unless it's stuck open, but from your results it looks like it's not opening at all.

the DPFE controls the EGR, and the system is vacuum driven, so a vacuum leak or bad DPFE (the sensor next to the EGR with 2 large vacuum hoses on it on the side of the intake) will cause the EGR to not open.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
CobraCoupe
¯
Member # 7233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobraCoupe  Ford pictures for CobraCoupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
quote:
quote:

only if the tune turned off the EGR.

EGR has absolutely nothing to do with idle quality unless it's stuck open, but from your results it looks like it's not opening
+1 on checking the egr valve, see if it has been turned off in the tune

at all.
+1 tune might have EGR turned off check EGR system to see if it's working properly or working at all

the DPFE controls the EGR, and the system is vacuum driven, so a vacuum leak or bad DPFE (the sensor next to the EGR with 2 large vacuum hoses on it on the side of the intake) will cause the EGR to not open.

[ September 22, 2010, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: CobraCoupe ]

--------------------
1965 Mustang convertible
2004 Ford Lightning #0537

alexdel209
¯
Member # 9239

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for alexdel209  Ford pictures for alexdel209    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
egr your cats are working since the other numbers are low.is your timing advanced also?that raises nox
gq916
¯
Member # 8540

quote:
Originally posted by alexdel209:
egr your cats are working since the other numbers are low.is your timing advanced also?that raises nox

timing is advanced !

--------------------
Zinc Yellow 2003 Mach1

Tuned by ForceFed

alexdel209
¯
Member # 9239

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for alexdel209  Ford pictures for alexdel209    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well back your timing down to stock should clean those numbers up alot depending on how adavanced it is
cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraracer46  Ford pictures for cobraracer46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
so i have bassani midlenth headers, bassani x pipe with cats, and slp II..check out the chart and let me know what you guys think

-

I'm assuming that you are talking about your 96 Cobra, but for all I know, you could be talking about a Camaro or a Dodge. Why make us read between the lines? You should have eliminated any confusion for those of us that don't have a crystal ball by stating the year make and model of the car that failed the smog inspection right from the start. Just a thought.

You then go on and say "so i have bassani midlenth headers, bassani x pipe with cats, and slp ...." what "you have" is not important, what is important is what has been done to the vehicle.

So what causes high Nox emissions? Too much timing advance, high engine temps, lean mixtures, defective EGR and more.

--------------------
2001 SVT cobra convertible with a Viper T56, Fikse wheels, Griggs frame kit, roll bar, Vortech, 4:30 gears, brembo GT brakes and more.

Posts: 1172 | From: Woodside California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com