Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » AOD Upgrades

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: AOD Upgrades
Ryan_LX
¯
Member # 7089

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan_LX  Ford pictures for Ryan_LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What are some good upgrades to do to an aod to make it more performance friendly and stronger. I know the basic ones(shift kit, VB, 1 piece input shaft) Also any pros/cons on lockup vs non lockup converters?
-Ryan

[ September 20, 2010, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: Ryan. ]

--------------------
Jesus is king!

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i heard many strong rumors yes. but have never done myself. the tailshaft i believe i heard is removable. but everything else is same.
Ryan_LX
¯
Member # 7089

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan_LX  Ford pictures for Ryan_LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks duncan motors for answering my other question
-Ryan

[ September 20, 2010, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: Ryan. ]

--------------------
Jesus is king!

Ryan_LX
¯
Member # 7089

ttt

--------------------
Jesus is king!

70mach351
¯
Member # 7528

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70mach351  Ford pictures for 70mach351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get a lentech

--------------------
70 Mach 1 gettin a make over
2001 Ford F250 Crew Cab 7.3

Ryan_LX
¯
Member # 7089

quote:
Originally posted by 70mach351:
get a lentech

dont have 2500 bucks to get a lentech

--------------------
Jesus is king!

84SVOrick
¯
Member # 9039

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 84SVOrick  Ford pictures for 84SVOrick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan.:
quote:
Originally posted by 70mach351:
get a lentech

dont have 2500 bucks to get a lentech
T-5= best upgrade for an AOD

--------------------
Bay Area Stunnaz
RIP Jeannera "FOXY302"
10/29/87-10/9/10
1984 SVO 302 HCI a basic bitch
1986 GT FOXY302 stolen and totaled R.I.P.

Posts: 1928 | From: Vallejo CA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  :
Ryan_LX
¯
Member # 7089

going auto manuals = headaches

[ September 20, 2010, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: Ryan. ]

--------------------
Jesus is king!

84SVOrick
¯
Member # 9039

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 84SVOrick  Ford pictures for 84SVOrick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hardest thing about a t5 swap are the pedals

--------------------
Bay Area Stunnaz
RIP Jeannera "FOXY302"
10/29/87-10/9/10

Ryan_LX
¯
Member # 7089

Not talking about the swap, manuals in general are headaches. Auto plus manual vb and a nice shifter is way better then a manual and its consistent.

--------------------
Jesus is king!

84SVOrick
¯
Member # 9039

quote:
Originally posted by Ryan.:
Not talking about the swap, manuals in general are headaches. Auto plus manual vb and a nice shifter is way better then a manual and its consistent.

Very valid point....but beefibg up auto as we all know can be a bit pricey

--------------------
Bay Area Stunnaz
RIP Jeannera "FOXY302"
10/29/87-10/9/10

70mach351
¯
Member # 7528

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70mach351  Ford pictures for 70mach351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
buy a redneck racing tranny for 1800 with converter

--------------------
70 Mach 1 gettin a make over
2001 Ford F250 Crew Cab 7.3

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
this part i know kinda well. u use the guts out of a wr40, its a newer trans,and is fully electronic, but has many many upgraded parts that are superior to the aod, for example the aod uses a 4 plastic gear planetary witch strip out commonly , while the wr40 uses a 5 steel gear planetary., bigger clutch pack, lower first gear, and also a coasting 1st gear,etc. now im not sure on the the rest of the specs of upgrades just because i forgot. and there's something about the valve body. but many other great upgrades, from stealing the guts. normally well find one of these trans for 300 and give it to my tranny guy with the aod, and he does the rest. very recommended, for what i think your describing. and nothing special in price, the wr40 is normally 300 when i find them. and the lock up converter he some how wires it in to lockup auto on the free way when cruise in. i dont remember if 1ooo or 1200 plus the wr4o for what ever u find it for. i have one for 300, youll spend close to a g in aftermarket stuff for your aod but is stock in the wr40.i havent seen any of them go yet. and all get abused.
Ryan_LX
¯
Member # 7089

thanks for the info what kind of cars do those trans come in?

--------------------
Jesus is king!

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

newer mustangs i got one right now i think out of 95, u can tell cause on the pass rear side of the trans, stickin strait up is a big electrical plug, must be black in color only. but they come in that year al the way to a 2002 or 2000. must have a black plug stikin out the trans in that spot. if u want ill hook u up with my trans guy, he seriuosely is the best, not no rookie. been doin them for over 35 years , and very cool. hell come pick it up in his van and drop it off a week later ,, he also well provide u with a tork converter in wth that price.good luck,
uncle bill
¯
Member # 3953

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for uncle bill  Ford pictures for uncle bill  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i believe the transmission you are talking about is a 4r70w. it has a lower second and first gear.stay away from lentec. tci has the best valve body. ive built several aod's they can be bullit proof if done right
5.0 with some go
¯
Member # 8248

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 with some go  Ford pictures for 5.0 with some go    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah just get your aod built with aode guts, a stronger input shaft and overdrive band, a nice valve body and a custom torque converter from edge racing or precision industries and call it a day should be good for a while.AOD-E transmissions built through 1995 share the same standard gear ratios as the AOD but with upgraded gears like duncan stated. 4r70w which came in 96+ actually use a wider gear ratio not sure how that will effect the aod....being completely mechanical with shift points are based off your engines rpm.
I know if you do the 4r70w swap in a aode you need a tune or Baumannator TCS to get the shift points correct since the aod-e is electronically controlled

[ September 22, 2010, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: 5.0 with some go ]

Posts: 247 | From: walnut creek ,ca | Registered: Feb 2008  |  :
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

you use the non electric vavle body and the shift points stay same,
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

yeah thats it, a 4r70w lol
coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
To make a 4R70W work in a fox is pain too...Big Time!!! You'll need a standalone , bellhousing , wiring and and all kinds of other shit to make it work in a fox... just buy a decent stock tranny from the junkyard , put a good stall torque converter and mild shift kit and u should b kool...

Checkout www.clickclickracing.com for more tech advice....

[ September 23, 2010, 01:30 AM: Message edited by: Nifty50 ]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com