Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Smog for an 04 cobra

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Smog for an 04 cobra
Termin8Him
¯
Member # 7895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Termin8Him  Ford pictures for Termin8Him    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So it's time to smog the 04 cobra. My problem is that i do not know if it will pass smog with the setup i have. I have SLP x pipe with high flow cats and Borla exhaust. Will it pass or would i have to throw back on the stock h-pipe??

--------------------
-whippled termy
-07 silverado

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Unless you've got a smog tech that's willing to look the other way, you'll have to throw the stocker back on.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
CobraChick
¯
Member # 9885

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobraChick  Ford pictures for CobraChick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The red cobra we had to smog it and it had high flow cats on and failed miserably lol but passed with flying colors when we put the stock pipe back on

--------------------
Behind ever successful person is a pack of haters.

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If your cats are good and the dude doesn't look under the car you should be golden. Make sure you warm it up real good before they test it [patriot]
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
Termin8Him
¯
Member # 7895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Termin8Him  Ford pictures for Termin8Him    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
alright, well im gonna try it tomorrow morning with the high flow cats. Hopefully i'll pass

--------------------
-whippled termy
-07 silverado

98Snake
¯
Member # 183

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98Snake  Ford pictures for 98Snake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 92stangLX:
Make sure you warm it up real good before they test it [patriot]

Yup this is good advice, and worked the last 3 smog tests for me. This time I drove the (*&%^) out of it for about 50 miles to make sure it was good and hot, and it still failed with the high flow cats. Guess my cats are getting weak.

Oh yeah, make sure you go to a place with a free re-test if you fail.

[ September 14, 2010, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: 98Snake ]

xchpstang
¯
Member # 1206

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for xchpstang  Ford pictures for xchpstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CobraChick:
The red cobra we had to smog it and it had high flow cats on and failed miserably lol but passed with flying colors when we put the stock pipe back on

Same here. My 04 failed miserably with a Bassani catted X and Borla Stingers. Putting stock H and trying again.
LETHL 03
¯
Member # 5401

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LETHL 03  Ford pictures for LETHL 03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i passed with bassani catted x.

--------------------
RIP Willie Guzman LQ9SN95

Hard Head Muscle
#HHM #babydickcobra #lethl03

5.0 with some go
¯
Member # 8248

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 with some go  Ford pictures for 5.0 with some go    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i don't have a 03-04 cobra but i do have a high flow catted x pipe even had to go to a state ref once I passed without a problem they only look for 2 cats....you don't really need the stock H. and if you have problems passing with your current setup and tune you might want to message AED to setup a smog friendly tune for you.

[ September 17, 2010, 01:21 AM: Message edited by: 5.0 with some go ]

Posts: 247 | From: walnut creek ,ca | Registered: Feb 2008  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com