Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » SMOG help: 98 Cobra

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: SMOG help: 98 Cobra
98Snake
¯
Member # 183

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98Snake  Ford pictures for 98Snake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The car is a 98 cobra, and has passed the previous 3 times with the following mods on the stock longblock:

Vortech V-1 S-trim (GT impeller)
3.33 Pulley
AFM Powerpipe
Pro-M 80 MAF
42lb Injectors
T-rex fuel pump
Kenne-Bell Boost-a-Spark
Adjustable FPR
Bassani catted X-pipe

Unfortunately I did not save the results from the previous tests. The car does not throw any codes. From what I can gather from other members' posts with similar results as mine, I should be able to pass with some new cats and O2 sensors. One problem I seem to have, was during the OBD2 diagnostic scan, it read "Not Supported", which seemed to throw off the Smog tech.

Any ideas, comments or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance [patriot]

-

-

-

[ September 09, 2010, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: 98Snake ]

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
with the NOX being too high, I would look closely at your vacuum routing and the EGR system, the EVP I think it's called next to the EGR may be bad.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
98Snake
¯
Member # 183

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98Snake  Ford pictures for 98Snake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
with the NOX being too high, I would look closely at your vacuum routing and the EGR system, the EVP I think it's called next to the EGR may be bad.

Thanks I will check the EGR system. Any way to tell if the EVP is bad, or should I just replace it anyways? Forgot to mention the car has 92000 miles, about 50000 with the blower.

Any thoughts about the OBD2 "not supported" readings?

[ September 09, 2010, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: 98Snake ]

BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 98Snake:
quote:

Thanks I will check the EGR system. Any way to tell if the EVP is bad, or should I just replace it anyways. Forgot to mention the car has 92000 miles, about 50000 with the blower.

NOT SUPPORTED MEANS YOU PCM DOES NOT MOTIOR THOSE MONITERS
AN FORD HAS A PIG PROBLEM WITH EGR NOT WORKING
ONE OF THE MAIN THINGS IS THE DPFE GOES BAD ALOT

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by fasthatch:
quote:
Originally posted by 98Snake:
quote:

Thanks I will check the EGR system. Any way to tell if the EVP is bad, or should I just replace it anyways. Forgot to mention the car has 92000 miles, about 50000 with the blower.

NOT SUPPORTED MEANS YOU PCM DOES NOT MOTIOR THOSE MONITERS
AN FORD HAS A PIG PROBLEM WITH EGR NOT WORKING
ONE OF THE MAIN THINGS IS THE DPFE GOES BAD ALOT

DPFE that's what it's called, not EVP, I was drawing a blank.

It also could just have a leak on the vacuum lines going to the DPFE.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you still need help pm me , might b able to get it fixed....

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com