Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » First 89 5.0 coupe stock auto.What cam,gears,converter????

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: First 89 5.0 coupe stock auto.What cam,gears,converter????
03Sn8k3
¯
Member # 8170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03Sn8k3  Ford pictures for 03Sn8k3    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its going to be a drag car,so what should I start with of getting more horse power,I really want a cam,i was thinking a trickflow stg1 but need advice,what should i put first?

--------------------
NO JK

Posts: 519 | From: Bay Area,Ca | Registered: Jan 2008  |  :
70mach351
¯
Member # 7528

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70mach351  Ford pictures for 70mach351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how fast do you want to go. get a custom cam made for your application. Nitrous, blower, turbo? Get a C4 or a built aod with a 3000 converter and 410 gears.

--------------------
70 Mach 1 gettin a make over
2001 Ford F250 Crew Cab 7.3

nitrous_bob
CAFords OG
Member # 77

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrous_bob  Ford pictures for nitrous_bob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
"drag car" is a relative term

8.90 drag car ?
11.90 street strip car ?

i'll assume street car.... go here for aod options, remember if you go c4 you have no od and 3rd gear is 1:1, but aod is junk UNLESS it is lentech

http://www.lentechautomatics.com/aodtech.html

a t5 swap isnt a bad idea based on your goals, i prefer to shift and i spray my car so i SHOULD be an auto guy but im not

anyways... a few things to go by at minimum.

1) DO NOT GO LESS THAN 4.10, you'll regret it later

2) DO NOT go less than 3000 stall if you stay auto

stall converters use "advertised" stall speed and that actual stall speed changes based on variables such as weight and hp

more hp stalls higher and more weight stalls higher

a 3k converter on a stock 5.0 will flash about 2500-2600 so keep that in mind

you just got the car? i would do 4.10's ,mickey thompson et streets 26 X 10, and a 100 shot of nitrous

then save for a head, cam, intake install

check out the trickflow cam that is part number 51402000

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/TFS-51402000/86-95-Mustang-50L-58L-Trick-Flow-Track-Heat-Stage-1-Roller-Camshaft

--------------------
5.0 OG since 1990

Posts: 1402 | From: st clair shores MI | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do the gear's and tires first. As far as the tranny goes go to www.clickclickracing.com and do some research, You will find a part's list there and with these upgraded part's any good transmission shop can assemble a tranny that will hold just about anything You want to throw at it. Also one of the mod's build's and sell's transmission's on there and has a very good reputation. I have a converter from www.edgeracing.com and it is a very good converter for the price. I would wait to spend the money on the converter and cam until You get some aftermarket head's & intake.

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

03Sn8k3
¯
Member # 8170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03Sn8k3  Ford pictures for 03Sn8k3    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok,street&strip thats what i am looking for
so I should do gears,convert,& nitro and since the car is stock what about timing?

--------------------
NO JK

03Sn8k3
¯
Member # 8170

also that trickflow cam will it work with my stock head's or is their something I need todo?
will it work on my aod

--------------------
NO JK

ISP89LX
¯
Member # 8949

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ISP89LX  Ford pictures for ISP89LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah you can use the stock heads with the tfs stage 1...I would upgarde the roller rockers since your already there its a cheap upgrade and I'm sure there is someone that just has some laying around in there garage.. [patriot]

--------------------
89LX
Turbo50built!!!
Wait, he jacked my shit!!!
"Dan will make It rite" THIEF!

Posts: 2997 | From: Nowhere to be found. | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would go with 4:10s or 4:30s but dont forget to get a tranny cooler. I had 4:30s with a Lentech AOD with a 2700 stall and a 28" tire, it ran low 12s.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 03Sn8k3:
also that trickflow cam will it work with my stock head's or is their something I need todo?
will it work on my aod

I wouldnt change the cam unless or until you do a heads, cam intake setup.
Posts: 22469 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
Ty
¯
Member # 4920

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ty  Ford pictures for Ty  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i did the same thing GEARS AND SUSPENSION FIRST. you can make more out of the power you already have with those. my car had a stall out of a turbo coupe t-bird in it and it worked good for a daily driver and at the track

--------------------
DRIVE FAST TAKE CHANCES
----------------------------
90 gt nothin special, just your average bolt ons...OUT TO PASTURE
69 fastback project car

Ryan_LX
¯
Member # 7089

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan_LX  Ford pictures for Ryan_LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
BEFORE YOU DO ANY OF THE THINGS LISTED ABOVE GET YOURSELF A GOOD SET OF SUB-FRAME CONNECTORS AND GET THOSE TORQUE BOXS WELDED UP. GEARS AND MICKEY T'S WILL EFF THEM UP BAD.
after that do everything listed lol
cap lock ftw!!! [Big Grin]

[ September 13, 2010, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: Ryan. ]

--------------------
Jesus is king!

coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by HaulinAss Motorsports:
quote:
Originally posted by 03Sn8k3:
will it work on my aod

I wouldnt change the cam unless or until you do a heads, cam intake setup.
+1
SPECIALTY15***MM PERFORMANCE***
¯
Member # 2978

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SPECIALTY15***MM PERFORMANCE***  Ford pictures for SPECIALTY15***MM PERFORMANCE***    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
BETTER GET A GOOD CONVERTER IF YOUR STICKING WITH A AUTO STAGE ONE CAM IS LOPEY YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS IDLEING IN GEAR

--------------------
MM PERFORMANCE
916-993-9581

Posts: 861 | From: sacramento | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com