Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » motor question?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: motor question?
¯
Member # 9375

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 96232  Ford pictures for 96232    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My car has had a lot of problems and is sitting and over the next couple of months I am going to start to get the parts together to get it back on the road again, the car in question is an 1989 mustang gt With an AOD.

My questions are

1.) The motor is a non-HO 302 without valve reliefs in the pistons and E6 heads. What would be a good setup for the engine, just swap in a running HO 302, or should I do something like GT40 heads and an E303 cam on a stock shortblock from a HO engine? Would my AOD be ok with this setup?

2.) The rear axle is a 7.5" rear and should be replaced with an 8.8, what gear ratio would be best with said motor/AOD combo, keep in mind that the car sees little 60+mph as I am living in the hills and there is no freeway for about 30+ mins. Maby 4.10's or 4.30's?

3.) The current engine will not run without the spout connector unplugged, I have a chiltons manuel and it says to test one of the pins on the TFI and that it should be battery voltage and mine reads 4V, It is a new TFI and is an accel unit from summit racing, Is there any way to check tha wiring? I was contemplating just going with an MSD distributor and that should include the TFI module, along with the dist. Are the MSD distributors relieable?

4.) My pass door has a scrape about 10-12 inches long on it and the window motor and door lock actuator are not functional, would the easiest way to fix it be to just pick and pull a new door?

5.) And finally latemodel restoration company has a sensor pack with all the likely to fail sensors for under $300, The sensors included are ones I have not replaced yet, Is this something I should invest in? As of now I have replaced the IAC, TPS, MAP/BARO sensors, and replaced the fuel injectors, Are there any other problem areas for 5.0's?

Thanks in advance for all the input.

Posts: 118 | From: Pine Grove | Registered: Aug 2009  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 96232:
My car has had a lot of problems and is sitting and over the next couple of months I am going to start to get the parts together to get it back on the road again, the car in question is an 1989 mustang gt With an AOD.

My questions are

[QB]1.) The motor is a non-HO 302 without valve reliefs in the pistons and E6 heads. What would be a good setup for the engine, just swap in a running HO 302, or should I do something like GT40 heads and an E303 cam on a stock shortblock from a HO engine? Would my AOD be ok with this setup?

E6 heads are not optimal. If you want a good budget setup get an HO motor, GP40p heads, stock cam, 1.7 roller rockers, explorer intake (or cobra) and exhaust. You AOD will work but you will be much happier with a 5 speed [Smile]

2.) The rear axle is a 7.5" rear and should be replaced with an 8.8, what gear ratio would be best with said motor/AOD combo, keep in mind that the car sees little 60+mph as I am living in the hills and there is no freeway for about 30+ mins. Maby 4.10's or 4.30's?

Yes, swap out the 7.5. Go with an 8.8 with 3:73's.

3.) The current engine will not run without the spout connector unplugged, I have a chiltons manuel and it says to test one of the pins on the TFI and that it should be battery voltage and mine reads 4V, It is a new TFI and is an accel unit from summit racing, Is there any way to check tha wiring? I was contemplating just going with an MSD distributor and that should include the TFI module, along with the dist. Are the MSD distributors relieable?

Sounds like a wiring issue

4.) My pass door has a scrape about 10-12 inches long on it and the window motor and door lock actuator are not functional, would the easiest way to fix it be to just pick and pull a new door?

yes, new doors can be had cheap

5.) And finally latemodel restoration company has a sensor pack with all the likely to fail sensors for under $300, The sensors included are ones I have not replaced yet, Is this something I should invest in? As of now I have replaced the IAC, TPS, MAP/BARO sensors, and replaced the fuel injectors, Are there any other problem areas for 5.0's?

Not worth it IMO. Just replace the ones that are bad.

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com