Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Panhard bar bent?!?!?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Panhard bar bent?!?!?
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just looked under my car today and noticed that my MM panhard bar is bent. It looks like an arc now. How could this have happened? I'm sure it does, but doen this affect anything? [Confused]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
pics?
Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my camera is broke so i dont have any right now but if you or anyone else has any pics of a MM PHB installed, please post pics...I want to compare it to how mine looks. Thanks

--------------------

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hmmm...and you wondered why there was rearend noise. [Wink]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I just looked under my car today and noticed that my MM panhard bar is bent.... doen this affect anything?
Of course it will. The effective length of the bar is shortened which will shift the rear axle location and, if it's bent enough, the heim joints could be binding.
Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

What I noticed also is that the mounting point on the passenger side is lower than I've seen in other install pics. Usually, isn't the bar at an angle, where it sits higher on the passenger side? Mine looks like it's completely horizontal and flat from side to side. On the passenger aide I also noticed that I can adjust the bar up...should I do this or is the mounting point at the top just completely off?

[ August 12, 2010, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: SydeWaySix ]

--------------------

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Here's some pics I took.

-
 -
 -

--------------------

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would think someone jacked it up by there , but i cant see any marks. shouldnt of bent other wise
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by Duncan Motors:
i would think someone jacked it up by there , but i cant see any marks. shouldnt of bent other wise

Yea, I've never jacked it up there since its been installed. Could it bend due to too much force applied to it or something? Does the angle look off to you guys?

--------------------

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ian, this is a very common issue that's most commonly caused by someone improperly jacking up the car by the pumpkin.

When I jack up my rear, I always take extra care to make sure the jack clears the rod.

This is most likely unrelated to the humming problem you have.

Call MM and have them send you a new aluminum rod.

--------------------
Stangless

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:
Ian, this is a very common issue that's most commonly caused by someone improperly jacking up the car by the pumpkin.

When I jack up my rear, I always take extra care to make sure the jack clears the rod.

This is most likely unrelated to the humming problem you have.

Call MM and have them send you a new aluminum rod.

Luke,

I have jacked up the car via the pumpkin but I always make sure to clear the bar...

Yes, I'm sure this is unrelated to the huming/vibration sound, but I'm thinking it could be related to the clunking I hear when making left turns [Confused]

Anyone have any pics of their MM PHB installed?

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
fwiw my PHB sits perfectly level, and iirc from the instructions that is the goal during install to set it up so at ride height the bar is level.

no pics of mine as the car is still backed into my garage and it's too dark, meh.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ian, no pics are necessary.
The bar should be 100% straight and parallel to the ground when installed.

Either someone bent it (most likely) or it happened out on the road (unlikely).

--------------------
Stangless

Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
looks like jacking issue... someone uses the jack there a lot look at all the scratches on the guard for the gas tank

[ August 12, 2010, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: ajs91CHPcoupe ]

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2004 GT, vortech V2 si, 10 psi-
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Posts: 3432 | From: 707 vallejo/richmond 510 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com