Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » conversion done.... car wont start!!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: conversion done.... car wont start!!!
88gotbarz?lx
¯
Member # 9072

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gotbarz?lx  Ford pictures for 88gotbarz?lx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so i finally dropped the motor and tranny in my 88 lx coupe and when i went to turn the ignition switch i can't hear my fuel pump turn on? changed the coil and the tfi module, took out the fuel pump cut-off switch to normal changed the spark plugs cap and rotor and still nothing any suggestions i get a click some times from both relay swithces but mostly the one next to the computer. [Confused] it turns but thats about it then the battery dies out. HELP PLZ!!!!
Cm4hawks
¯
Member # 5231

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cm4hawks  Ford pictures for Cm4hawks    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ground wire somewhere maybe just a guess

--------------------
2007 Ford Expedition
2004 Dodge Ram 2500

Posts: 1818 | From: Pacheco CA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The fuel pump relay under the drivers seat on a 4cyl is a dummy box, you need one for a v8 car to turn the fuel pump on.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
The fuel pump relay under the drivers seat on a 4cyl is a dummy box, you need one for a v8 car to turn the fuel pump on.

I believe you also have to cut and splice to get it to work if u were to use that v8 relay. You can also just find a power source for the time being just to get it to start. My friend just ran power from his coil. Not the best idea but its worked for about a year so far. You at least need to find a power source that can tell the fuel pump when to turn on and off according to the position of the key, and then eventually fix the whole relay issue

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1HaTCheD5LiTEr:
quote:

I believe you also have to cut and splice to get it to work if u were to use that v8 relay. You can also just find a power source for the time being just to get it to start. My friend just ran power from his coil. Not the best idea but its worked for about a year so far. You at least need to find a power source that can tell the fuel pump when to turn on and off according to the position of the key, and then eventually fix the whole relay issue
nothing is cut or spliced on my 4cyl to v8 conversion.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

What did you have to do to install the fuel pump relay?

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

What did you have to do to install the fuel pump relay?
just like I said, unplug the dummy relay box fromt he 4cyl, and pop in the relay from a v8 in it's place.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Seriously? I tried that on my friends conversion and I got nothing. That's why my friend connected it to the coil. I must have done something wrong.

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It is one of three things.. you are not getting fuel or you are not getting spark or your timing is off.

Check the fuel pressure at the rails (ie buy a guage) first. If it is all good then pull one of the plugs and use one of those cheap spark testers to see if you are getting spark.

If both of the above are good then check your wires to see if they are in the right firing order. If that is cool then reset the base timing (meaning line up the timing mark to zero and make sure #1 piston is at TDC)

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
88gotbarz?lx
¯
Member # 9072

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gotbarz?lx  Ford pictures for 88gotbarz?lx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Cm4hawks:
ground wire somewhere maybe just a guess

Ground is hooked up to the coil.
88gotbarz?lx
¯
Member # 9072

Relay under the seat is a v8 relay
phat50
¯
Member # 1998

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phat50  Ford pictures for phat50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Eather your pump is bad or you have the wrong harness.

[ August 02, 2010, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: phat50 ]

--------------------
New toy coming soon!

Posts: 2860 | From: Richmond / Valley jo/ Petaluma | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
88gotbarz?lx
¯
Member # 9072

The wire on the relay was already spilt for the the cut off switch. Where would i get the power source so i can get the car started cuz my feul pump will just be on the whole time.
88gotbarz?lx
¯
Member # 9072

well i have spark and i do have feul coming to the engine when the pump was on and the timing seems to be right. What i need to know is why isnt my fuel pump turning on when i turn my ignition switch.
phat50
¯
Member # 1998

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phat50  Ford pictures for phat50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by aymen:
well i have spark and i do have feul coming to the engine when the pump was on and the timing seems to be right. What i need to know is why isnt my fuel pump turning on when i turn my ignition switch.

How are you getting the fuel pump to turn on?

--------------------
New toy coming soon!

88gotbarz?lx
¯
Member # 9072

I attached a wire from my positive battery terminal and hooked it up to the red wire that sits right under the back bumper next to the gas tank, when hooked up the fuel pump turns on but stays on, tried cranking the engine while doing that but either to much or not enough fuel going through to start.
phat50
¯
Member # 1998

quote:
Originally posted by aymen:
I attached a wire from my positive battery terminal and hooked it up to the red wire that sits right under the back bumper next to the gas tank, when hooked up the fuel pump turns on but stays on, tried cranking the engine while doing that but either to much or not enough fuel going through to start.

What year wireing harness are you useing?

--------------------
New toy coming soon!

88gotbarz?lx
¯
Member # 9072

Its the origanal v8 harness 88 no mass air. There just isnt any power to the fuel pump [Confused]
just_another_ 91
¯
Member # 9317

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for just_another_ 91  Ford pictures for just_another_ 91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check to make sure the ecc power relay by the computer is good when i did my conversion my ecc power relay was bad and the car wouldnt start

--------------------
R.I.P 91 Black LX: 13.45@102.62

1fastmach1
¯
Member # 10137

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1fastmach1  Ford pictures for 1fastmach1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY CAR RUN A POWER WIRE FROM UR FUSE BOX A FUSE THAT ONLY TURNS ON WHEN THE INGNITION IS ON THEN BUT A FUSE INBETWEEN THAT AND THE RELAY AND GROUD THE FUEL PUMP RELAY THAT IS LOCATED UNDER THEY DRIVER SEAT FUEL PUMP WILL TURN RIGHT ON

--------------------
REDLINE MOTORSPORTS CC EST 2011
1993 CHP sold
2004 mach 1 408 Windsor n20 fed
R.I.P. JORGE GUTIERREZ JR
6/13/1982- 11/05/2013

Posts: 2592 | From: clawwwitter to 7th st | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com