Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 03 cobra issue

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 03 cobra issue
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
On an 03 Cobra, it sounds and feels as if there is a misfire. Lack of power, hesitant, small backfires under a load. It was brought in for warranty work due to a screeching sound coming from a faulty throwout bearing. When the throwout bearing was replaced, the bellhousing was not removed. Ford says that it is not a misfire and sounds more like a tranny issue. They do not want to touch the clutch because it is aftermarket (spec 3). Has anybody experiened this? [Confused]

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
copcar
¯
Member # 10113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for copcar  Ford pictures for copcar    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How many miles and what mods are done? The symptoms you are describing lead to a faulty coil, however there may be more issues if there are modifications for higher boost levels.

--------------------
12.37@ 109.34.NA 894DA Old Nitto 555 DR's Gt40 irons. B cam/1.7's, All emissions equipment on the car, stock air box. UPR catted X pipe.

SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There is about 73,000 on the car. Bone stock except for a catback and spec 3 clutch. Car ran perfect before the t.o. bearing was replaced. The moment it was picked up, it started to act up. Ford did a compression check and a cylinder balance test and it checked out ok. They said its not a misfire, but Idk what to believe because the car is running and sounds EXACTLY like a misfire.

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is it throwing any codes?

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Y
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
Is it throwing any codes?

No codes whatsoever. Ford supossedly hooked up the scanner and they said that there was no misfire. My friend and I are out of ideas of what it could be. Have you ever heard of such a thing John?

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I ask because I had the very same problem. Check the connector that runs the transmission harness. The O2 sensors are on this as well. Something tells me it's slightly pulled out...

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
I ask because I had the very same problem. Check the connector that runs the transmission harness. The O2 sensors are on this as well. Something tells me it's slightly pulled out...

Alright thanks John! I was hoping that you would chime in. Btw, did you have any codes when your car was doing that?

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Nope, no codes. Just felt like it was misfiring/sluggish.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Where is the connector located? Would it happen to be above the bell housing?

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Stangs R Us
¯
Member # 4495

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangs R Us  Ford pictures for Stangs R Us    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yes
Posts: 3100 | From: sacramento | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
Stangs R Us
¯
Member # 4495

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangs R Us  Ford pictures for Stangs R Us    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would unplug one at a time and plug it back in making sure it snaps in all the way and do that for each connector 02 and tranny
Posts: 3100 | From: sacramento | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

A tech at my job already disconnected and reconnected the o2 sensors. It was too tight of a fit to reach up over the bell housing at the time. I'm guessing he will try to move the mid pipe out of the way to make room on Monday.

And thanks for the responses fellas, this really helps my friend and I out a lot!! [patriot]

If anybody has anymore suggestions, please chime in so we can get this thing back on the road! [burnout]

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com