Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » .

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: .
wht2000gt
¯
Member # 10127

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wht2000gt  Ford pictures for wht2000gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ August 05, 2010, 03:37 AM: Message edited by: 94tealgt ]

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
got oil in it?

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Obvious  Ford pictures for Captain Obvious    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
are you sure its at the oilpan/bottom end of the engine? could be a slight exhaust leak instead?

[ July 27, 2010, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: 68stanger ]

--------------------
It's NOT illegal. It's just frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane.

wht2000gt
¯
Member # 10127

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wht2000gt  Ford pictures for wht2000gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ August 05, 2010, 03:33 AM: Message edited by: 94tealgt ]

wht2000gt
¯
Member # 10127

[ August 05, 2010, 03:33 AM: Message edited by: 94tealgt ]

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 94tealgt:
I just had Ford change the oil and noticed it when I got back. I'm almost positive its not a exhaust leak. I stuck my head under there and can hear it from the bottom end. Oil pressure is 20 psi at idle and 50 while driving.

If you hear the noise coming for the bottem end then I would say that is not good. I would not drive the car until you have it checked out in case something let's go
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
wht2000gt
¯
Member # 10127

quote:
Originally posted by 92stangLX:
quote:
I just had Ford change the oil and noticed it when I got back. I'm almost positive its not a exhaust leak. I stuck my head under there and can hear it from the bottom end. Oil pressure is 20 psi at idle and 50 while driving.

If you hear the noise coming for the bottem end then I would say that is not good. I would not drive the car until you have it checked out in case something let's go
It's not super loud and it has a lot of power. It's barely noticeable. But I'm a stickler for hearing things even the little things. Does anyone know someone local to natomas that wouldn't mind listening to it?
grab n go
¯
Member # 9372

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for grab n go  Ford pictures for grab n go  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you got alot of miles on it then its most likely your lifters clacking.What kind of oil did they use.In my 94 5.0 i have to use synthetic oil.My lifters clack alittle still.200000 plus though,still strong.
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Timing chain and gear can make a little noise as well. When I used to change oil for a living back in the early 90s I remember how loud the motors sounded when I was underneath of them and they were running. It was noise from the timing gear.

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
wht2000gt
¯
Member # 10127

They used standard 5w20. They just went by the Manuel. I'm prob. going to drain the oil and throw some 10w30 or 40 in it. It's weird, but the noise now went away. I think I'm just extremely paranoid. It has 130k. Maybe the timing chain though. I'll have to look at that. Thanks guys.

[ August 05, 2010, 03:36 AM: Message edited by: 94tealgt ]

92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
They used standard 5w20. They just went by the Manuel. I'm prob. going to drain the oil and throw some 10w30 or 40 in it. It's weird, but the noise now went away. I think I'm just extremely paranoid. It has 130k but the top end was rebuilt not too long ago. So I know the noise wasn't coming from the top end. Maybe the timing chain though. I'll have to look at that. Thanks guys.

If im not mistaken, 4.6 modular motors call for 5w20, you should always run atleast 10w30 in a pushrod 5.0.

--------------------
Infineon/Sears point? same difference!
11.8 @ 115 mph @ Sac Raceway
411 rwhp 402 trq (old set up)
540 rwhp 517 rwtrq (new set up)
ET's to come

wht2000gt
¯
Member # 10127

That's what I'm thinking is making some noise. I'm just going to drain it and throw some 10w30 in it. I only went to Ford because I had a free oil change. So I said screw it. I didn't think at the time it would be a big deal. But I guess it was.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com