Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » HELP!!!! 4cyl to v8 swap QUESTIONS!!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: HELP!!!! 4cyl to v8 swap QUESTIONS!!!
HIGHWAYR
¯
Member # 8183

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HIGHWAYR  Ford pictures for HIGHWAYR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a great 4 cylinder car ive beeen thinking about converting. I was wonder what i would need and need to do to complete this swap??????

IF ANYBODY CAN SHOOT ME A LIST OF THINGS THAT NEED TO BE DONE?????

IT GREATLY WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!!!

LMK LMK LMK LMK LMK

stuff i have already

93 4cyl
306 longblock with tremec tko500 transmission
rear end,drive shaft
exhaust
computer

probably will buy a donor car for the rest/ fuel,suspension,brakes,wiring etc.

--------------------
90 COUPE/ 25K ORIGINAL MILES
97 GT /NEVER MOVES

HOVER BOARDS DONT FLOAT ON WATER McFLY

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Buy a donor the same year as your car.

The link in my sig has some pics from my swap i did to my 89.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It sounds like you have the all the major parts , do you have all the 5.0L front accessorie drives ? Like the a/c , p/s , smog pump , alt & brackets ? Or are you gnna run it without ? And if your car is an automatic your gnna need to take out the dash and change your pedal assembly (which is a pain in the ass). Alot of work indeed my friend , good luck .
HIGHWAYR
¯
Member # 8183

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HIGHWAYR  Ford pictures for HIGHWAYR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have the full motor with all the acessories. i know its going to be a hard project but is it basically swap everything from v8 to the 4cyl?

--------------------
97 GT /NEVER MOVES

96stang4.6
¯
Member # 9970

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 96stang4.6  Ford pictures for 96stang4.6    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
later down the road change the springs to make up for the extra weight from the v8

--------------------
93 chp
88 t top mustang gt
87 coupe IRS swapped
12 mustang gt/cs

gercolla1
¯
Member # 3068

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gercolla1  Ford pictures for gercolla1  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Nifty50:
It sounds like you have the all the major parts , do you have all the 5.0L front accessorie drives ? Like the a/c , p/s , smog pump , alt & brackets ? Or are you gnna run it without ? And if your car is an automatic your gnna need to take out the dash and change your pedal assembly (which is a pain in the ass). Alot of work indeed my friend , good luck .

the dash does not need to be taken down for a pedal swap just the drivers seat and column:patriot:. everything on these cars are easy u just need time space and parts

--------------------
Sf Bay Area

Posts: 2171 | From: Sampan San Francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
HIGHWAYR
¯
Member # 8183

Don't think I'm going for a 5 speed swap. Thinking I'm going with a beefy automatic setup..

Q's.
Once I pull out the 4 cyl engine harness, does the v8 harness plug right in? And same with the computer?

Does the exhaust bolt right in or do I have to weld brackets or anything??

Anything that you think will be a problem let me know???

The help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for the tips so far, I think I'm about to go through with is

--------------------
97 GT /NEVER MOVES

just_another_ 91
¯
Member # 9317

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for just_another_ 91  Ford pictures for just_another_ 91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i just did one u will need the v8 fuel lines and the v8 front head light harness because the altenator plugs into that harness and the v8 has the altenator on the other side then the 4cyl

--------------------
R.I.P 91 Black LX: 13.45@102.62

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
engine harness and computer plug right in - IF you use the correct harness for your car, hence why you should get a donor car from the same year, the harness changed styles several times over the years.

easiest way to check is to locate the plugs for the chassis harness on the drivers side of the engine bay behind the strut tower, 87-89 has a single round plug there, the 90+ has 2 orange round plugs there and differences over by the ECU side as well so that wouldn't work on a 89 car.

exhaust will bolt right in, just need to get the exhaust hangers from the v8 donor, they bolt on to the car, also need the double hump crossmember for the tranny.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

HIGHWAYR
¯
Member # 8183

BLIND LX
what else did you pull out of the engine compartment besides the : engine , eng harness, radiator, brake system????

would the 4cyl a/c connect to the v8 setup? maybe thinking(strongly) about eliminating it!!

fuel tank Q's :do the original wires plug right in to the v8 pump??? i have changed a fuel pump before

does the automatic transmission plug right in or is there a wiring harness i need to swap to?????
i know you said i need the cross member!!

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

4cyl a/c compressor and lines won't work, but all the other parts are the same (evap, condensor, stuff inside the car).

also need the o2 sensor harness, the headlight harness, the vacuum lines, vacuum tree, vacuum resevoir from the passenger fender, throttle cable, cruise control cable, TAB/TAD/EVR sensors from the passenger side strut tower, the full air injection system + EGR system.

fuel tank has it's own harness, if you pull a complete tank from a v8 with the fuel lines that run up to the front of the car and swap it in that will be your easiest solution.

trans harness runs through the trans hump into the car and plugs in at the drivers kick panel area, safest bet would be to swap the trans harness with the v8 one.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com