Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » To spacer or not to spacer?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: To spacer or not to spacer?
BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've been thinking about adding a 1" carb spacer to add low end power and improve gas mileage. But I did some reading and it seems like the benefits of spacers are inconclusive. An open spacer would rob low end power, and a 4-hole spacer would maybe help some, but it looks like the Super Sucker is the only one with proven results on most engine combos.

Anybody ever run one of these?

I hesitate because it sounds like I'll have to re-tune my carb, which is really dialed in right now. Plus I may have to change jets, which I really don't want to get into.

How big a deal is it anyway?

--------------------
93 Cobra #4563 347ci 12.0@118 505rwhp 524tq
90 GT "Saleen Cobra" style convertible 347ci
67 GT "Eleanor" style coupe 347ci

Posts: 1425 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
different combos call for diff stuff, but when we dyno mine the 4 hole spacer brought torque up
BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the reply. Did you have to tune the carb, change jets, anything like that?

--------------------

BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ok, what better way to find out than to just try it? I ordered a cheap 1" 4-hole spacer (that's the largest that will fit under my hood) from summit. Will install it this weekend and see if it does anything. If not, no loss.

--------------------

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
on the dyno there will be alot of changes, street driven just gets its close, the dyno is the real deal test lol! on mine yeah everything was teseted lol!!
BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Got my new spacer today, I'm going to try putting it on tonight or this weekend. I was thinking of maybe grinding the holes to taper to a wider opening at the intake side, but it's hard to tell if that will make any difference. So I think I'll just put it on and try it to see what happens. I'm hoping to get more power and torque (better throttle response) in daily driving, and pick up 1 or 2 mpg. I'm currently getting just over 14mpg in my daily commute which is almost all streets, hardly any freeway. Would be nice to see that go up to 16.

--------------------

BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Installed the spacer this morning. Seems pretty smooth, hard to tell but the drive to work was good. No obvious problems, other than I had to adjust the idle down about 500rpm. Guess the spacer changes idle characteristics because of the more effective air/fuel vapor flow.

--------------------

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

yep, and nice!
copcar
¯
Member # 10113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for copcar  Ford pictures for copcar    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
An open Spacer is sually only beneficial in single plane applications mostly due to the open plenum volume gained. Dual plane will benefit from a four hole spacer as it promotes better charge velocity through the venturi at higher rpm. It also quells the reversion at higher rpm. Newer intake designs such as the RPM2 Airgap will not benefit as much as an older or stock design.

--------------------
12.37@ 109.34.NA 894DA Old Nitto 555 DR's Gt40 irons. B cam/1.7's, All emissions equipment on the car, stock air box. UPR catted X pipe.

BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Thanks. I put a 4-hole on my dual-plane intake, and it seems to be a lot smoother. I had to dink around with the idle, basically had to completely re-tune the idle, but it's running real smooth now.

My verdict is, I think it was worth the $15 bucks. I just need to find out if I'm getting better gas mileage now.

--------------------

BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Just finished my first tank after the spacer install - 19.25 mpg! That's an astonishing increase over the 15 street / 17 freeway I've been getting. Never thought I'd get almost 20 mpg out of a carbed 347 stroker.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com