Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » r134 AC conversion

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: r134 AC conversion
ratfast
¯
Member # 8720

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ratfast  Ford pictures for ratfast    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anybody convert their foxbody to r134? My AC is cool, but not cold....Ford recommends changing it from r12 to r134 for a healthy price. Any ideas?

--------------------
'93 White notch all stock

Posts: 604 | From: roseville, california | Registered: Oct 2008  |  :
East Bay 50
¯
Member # 8081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for East Bay 50  Ford pictures for East Bay 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i bought a conversion kit from napa autoparts for like 50 bucks a couple years ago. it still blows cold as of last week when i used it...

--------------------
Kurgan tuned stroked and blown 347 foxbody. boost nukka!

Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You just need to put a new dryer on it. Have a a/c shop do it so they can reuse your r12.

R12 is a colder gas than the R134. If you convert to R134 you have flush the system of all the R12 oil and still change the dryer to do the swap correctly. The only real nice thing about R134 is that you can buy the gas yourself but to charge it, you need to be able to pump down the system. If you dont have the tools to do it, I say stick with the R12.

[ July 19, 2010, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Secnd2nun64 ]

84SVOrick
¯
Member # 9039

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 84SVOrick  Ford pictures for 84SVOrick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You dont have toooo change the drier but make sure u switch to ester oil and evac the system

--------------------
Bay Area Stunnaz
RIP Jeannera "FOXY302"
10/29/87-10/9/10
1984 SVO 302 HCI a basic bitch
1986 GT FOXY302 stolen and totaled R.I.P.

Posts: 1928 | From: Vallejo CA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  :
Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 84SVOrick:
You dont have toooo change the drier but make sure u switch to ester oil and evac the system

to properly convert the system you need to change the dryer. even if you put the system into a vacuum you will never get all the old oil and r12 out of the dryer

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i've heard that in a couple of years, they are phasing out r134. is there truth to this?
Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by stangin':
i've heard that in a couple of years, they are phasing out r134. is there truth to this?

yup when dupont's patent runs out, they come out with something new to sell and stop making the other stuff

--------------------

stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Adam5.0:
quote:

yup when dupont's patent runs out, they come out with something new to sell and stop making the other stuff
thats some bs right there. so we, the consumers, have to do another conversion again when it gets hard to find r134 like how it is right now for r12?
Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Adam5.0:
quote:

Well there's another reason to stick with the R12.

Your dryer is probably just due for a new one.

AIRFORMANCE MOBILE AUTO A/C 707
¯
Member # 6243

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AIRFORMANCE MOBILE AUTO A/C 707  Ford pictures for AIRFORMANCE MOBILE AUTO A/C 707    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
foxbody its not called a dryer its a accumulator

--------------------
1993 red cobra
1973 celica chevy 406/t5/narrow 9
1969 camaro
1992 lx hatch

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
air formance knows his stuff hands down!
NINETY#FIFTY
¯
Member # 4866

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NINETY#FIFTY  Ford pictures for NINETY#FIFTY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Airformance what is the common reason for foxbody's ac not blowing cold...I know 9 other foxes with no working ac.

--------------------
1990 #50 SALEEN 31K
1988 #363 SALEEN 68K
1993 #2572 COBRA 31k
1993 ACURA INTEGRA 102k
2014 HYUNDAI SONATA 171k

Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

quote:
Originally posted by NINETY#FIFTY:
Hey Airformance what is the common reason for foxbody's ac not blowing cold...I know 9 other foxes with no working ac.

leaks, low freon

--------------------

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
like every other ac system thats not fixed or maintenanced. all mine work after ac formance worked on them.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com