Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Need help deciding between two cams?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need help deciding between two cams?
Casey90GT
¯
Member # 6175

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey90GT  Ford pictures for Casey90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 1995 302 with a set of heavily ported E7's, slightly larger valves (1.94/1.55), about 9.5:1 compression, short tube headers, and a dual plane edelbrock with a 650 vac secondary holley. I have two camshafts laying around. One is an E-cam, and the other is a Comp custom grind:

0.513"/0.526" Lift
282°/289° Adv Duration
230°/236° @ .050 Duration
110° Lobe Seperation

IVO= 9° BTDC
IVC=41° ABDC
EVO=52° BBDC
EVC= 4° ATDC

Specs for cam installed @ 106° Intake Centerline

The springs in the heads are set up for the custom cam, but the guy that did the work said the E-cam would work fine too. I love the sound of a lumpy cam, but I don't want something that's too nasty to cruise the boulevard. The motor is going in a '53 Dodge 2-door coupe with a T5 behind it, and an 8.8 with probably 3.55 gears. What do you guys think?

[ July 15, 2010, 04:08 AM: Message edited by: Casey90GT ]

--------------------
Some day I'll finish it.

Posts: 1064 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
Casey90GT
¯
Member # 6175

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey90GT  Ford pictures for Casey90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
E303 Specs for Comparison:

0.498"/0.498" Lift
282°/282° Adv Duration
220°/220° @ .050 Duration
110° Lobe Seperation

IVO= 0° BTDC
IVC=40° ABDC
EVO=40° BBDC
EVC= 0° ATDC

...not that anybody really needed me to post these. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Some day I'll finish it.

gercolla1
¯
Member # 3068

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gercolla1  Ford pictures for gercolla1  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if its just a driver id run the ford cam

[ July 15, 2010, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: gercolla1 ]

--------------------
Sf Bay Area

Posts: 2171 | From: Sampan San Francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Casey90GT
¯
Member # 6175

That's what I was leaning towards, but I was hoping somebody could weigh in on whether the split pattern of the custom grind would actually make more power with similar drivability/reliability, or if it's too much. I had the E303 in this motor in my coupe with EFI and it made really good useable power, but I'm no longer concerned with emissions since I'll be putting this motor in my '53.

--------------------
Some day I'll finish it.

Pumpkin_Notch
TEAM PLATINUM
Member # 3946

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Notch  Ford pictures for Pumpkin_Notch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd go with the nice lumpy cam nice sound and more power why think twice in a old school IMO [Wink]

--------------------
TEAM PLATINUM
87LX: T-TOP PUMPKIN NOTCH
94N.C.F.GT: 418w
www.facebook.com/PLATINUM1320tv

Posts: 2790 | From: RICHMOND/sanpablo | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
nitrous_bob
CAFords OG
Member # 77

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrous_bob  Ford pictures for nitrous_bob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Casey90GT:
Comp custom grind:

0.513"/0.526" Lift

you sure you wont have PTV clearance issues with that cam ? that sounds big to me but hey... my ex-wife calls me a retard

what rockers is that with... and what ratio are you using ?

--------------------
5.0 OG since 1990

Posts: 1402 | From: st clair shores MI | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If your running power steering, a/c or power brakes I would go with the ford cam since you'll probably get more vacuum with it for a cruising motor. Less power but it will run better on the street. You can always mess with the tune to make it sound lumpy.
Casey90GT
¯
Member # 6175

quote:
Originally posted by nitrous_bob:
quote:
Originally posted by Casey90GT:
Comp custom grind:

0.513"/0.526" Lift

you sure you wont have PTV clearance issues with that cam ? that sounds big to me but hey... my ex-wife calls me a retard

what rockers is that with... and what ratio are you using ?

Thanks Bob...I never even considered the PTV. I figured I could go at least .550" before I had to start worrying about that, but I guess with the bigger valves it might become an issue sooner.

Those specs are with 1.6 rockers, and I was going to use the Blue SVO roller units.

--------------------
Some day I'll finish it.

Casey90GT
¯
Member # 6175

quote:
Originally posted by Secnd2nun64:
If your running power steering, a/c or power brakes I would go with the ford cam since you'll probably get more vacuum with it for a cruising motor. Less power but it will run better on the street. You can always mess with the tune to make it sound lumpy.

No vac accessories, but the E303 usually sounds fairly lumpy anyway, so I'm not toooooooo worried about that. My biggest concern is really power/drivability.

--------------------
Some day I'll finish it.

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Run the E cam. The heads are the bottleneck of the setup anyway, no need to make matters worse with a bigger cam.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Casey90GT
¯
Member # 6175

E303 it is...Custom cam is now FOR SALE!

--------------------
Some day I'll finish it.

50DADDY
CAFords OG
Member # 3076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50DADDY  Ford pictures for 50DADDY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Comp Cams are superior to an old prehistoric e-cam.Id run the custom.If smog were and issue id say run the E,but since it looks like smog is not and issue id definitely go with the Comp.

--------------------
"Im not stupid,i just act that way so i dont make you dummies uncomfortable."

"Old age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill."

Posts: 4827 | From: Suckramento | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com