Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Exhaust leaks..

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Exhaust leaks..
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just bought a used o/r h pipe yesterday. I put it on my car and I have exhaust leaks coming from where the h pipe meets the headers. I noticed that both flanges are bent pretty good so its probably not applying pressure where the leaks are coming from. Does anybody have any tips on how to stop the leaks? Thanks [patriot]

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
might have to take it to an exhaust shop to fix the flanges [Confused]

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

gercolla1
¯
Member # 3068

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gercolla1  Ford pictures for gercolla1  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ur pipe mite be able to be fixed but cost would about the same to buy another jmo [patriot]

--------------------
Sf Bay Area

Posts: 2171 | From: Sampan San Francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm sorry...I meant to ask if there was any way to possibly fix the leak by not having to change the flanges. There's gotta be some way. I mean, doesn't it make sense that it should still work as long as the pipe is being bolted to the manifolds? The flange isnt applying pressure evenly around the ball, but theoretically it should still work as long as cup and ball seat together right?

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Mustang Guru
¯
Member # 4119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mustang Guru  Ford pictures for Mustang Guru    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Put sum silicon on the balll part of the header n lil on the headerrrs so wen they meet up itta try to seal it more

--------------------
1990 x-chp highway lil 302
1977 caprice classic 2dr.{Sold} 1988 coupe 4cyl dd{sold}

Posts: 1171 | From: Uptown Bound | Registered: Feb 2004  |  :
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Thats what I actually did this evening believe it or not. Hopefully this will solve my issue, but who knows for how long. Thanks for the input tho!! [patriot]
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1HaTCheD5LiTEr:
Thats what I actually did this evening believe it or not. Hopefully this will solve my issue, but who knows for how long. Thanks for the input tho!! [patriot]

Double check the alignment of the flanges. Could be they are not lined up properly.

I would be leary of any sort of sealer given the temps involved.

[ July 12, 2010, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: 92stangLX ]

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
copcar
¯
Member # 10113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for copcar  Ford pictures for copcar    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sealer will not work for any time at all. Both for the temperature and vibration. You are paying the price for someone not knowing what they were doing when they installed it in the first place. As for fixing the flanges, you will need to remove the pipe, remove the sealer, heat up the flanges where they are bent and reshape them.

--------------------
12.37@ 109.34.NA 894DA Old Nitto 555 DR's Gt40 irons. B cam/1.7's, All emissions equipment on the car, stock air box. UPR catted X pipe.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com