Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » rear end question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: rear end question
68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have an 8" rear end, but rear end fluid seems to be finding it's way up the axles and out through the housing tube. It has coated my inside of my rim with gear fluid. Is the cause of this usually a bad or going out axle bearing? thanks

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

Posts: 3986 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
1991CHP
¯
Member # 5097

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1991CHP  Ford pictures for 1991CHP    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had the same problem, I just replaced the seals. People will say to do the bearings as well, and I prolly should of, but to date my rear end is just fine. [patriot]

--------------------
Asphalt Mafia: Founder.

I felt guilty once, but she woke up half way through it.

http://gotbluemilk.com/web050516/24/index.html

Posts: 815 | From: S.F. / SACRAMENTO | Registered: Dec 2004  |  :
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ON A FORD 8 INCH REPLACE THE SEALS NA BEARING

1991CHP ON A 8.8 IF THE SEALS ARE LEAKING JUST REPLACE THE SEALS YOU SHOULD BE FINE

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Also, go with the obvious...make sure it isn't overfilled. Level surface, etc ...when filling it. Sounds like both the seals and bearings need to be changed. You have to take the bearing collar off anyway...

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i've replaced one of the bearings about 4 years ago, i believe it was the side that's leaking. The driver side doesnt leak at all. Which gasket needs to be replaced. The one where the 4 bolts that hold the axle in? or is there another one? if you look into the axle housing theres another one, but it doesnt look like it would seal anything. Remember im not talking about an 8.8 rear end. This is for my 68 mustang.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Felpro-Axle-Flange-Gasket/1968-Ford-Mustang/_/N-ir9q2Z6o3h8?counter=1&itemIdentifier=225434_101056_12337_4024

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The one inside the housing really doesn't do squat...it's a oil slinger. If it's there, it's working. Flange gasket is about the only thing you can change.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

jawsgear
¯
Member # 8080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jawsgear  Ford pictures for jawsgear  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
The one inside the housing really doesn't do squat...it's a oil slinger. If it's there, it's working. Flange gasket is about the only thing you can change.

Huh?????? The inner seal at the end of the tube is the mail seal that needs to be changed. Never heard it being called a "slinger" before.

To OP, change the tube seal, axle bearing, and for the 4 bolt flange just apply a small bead of silicone to the flange if you do not have the flange gaskets and you will be fine.

Jeff

--------------------
Jaw's Gear & Axle
916-922-5297
Parts & Service
Gears, Posi's, Lockers, Spools, & Axles
Custom Housings & Axle Shafts

Posts: 91 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Dec 2007  |  :
68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

thanks guys.. i will just clean it up good and rtv the end.

--------------------

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

It's actually called a "axle seal", so we were both wrong. There's no mail or tube in it. [Wink]

Anyway, here's a pic of what you will want to change. Axle Seal
More than likely it's part number 9569S at Autozone. Good luck.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

thanks john!

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com