Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » T56 swap on sn95 cobra?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: T56 swap on sn95 cobra?
drop92
PITUDO
RACING 415
Member # 1323

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for drop92  Ford pictures for drop92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im about to order a transmission for my 96 cobra! im looking to buy a t56! i now people have done this mod on thissite before! is there anything additional i need to do this swap like driveshaft or cross member.........
Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Obvious  Ford pictures for Captain Obvious    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if its a regular T56 your getting, they are only rated to 440 ftlbs and require a ton of extras to install.

go with a built T5 or a TKO, both would be cheaper to install and alot stronger.

anyways... you will need a different crossmember and a shorter driveshaft and some way to run your speedometer, for a fox 87-93 mustang its mechanical but for a SN95 im not sure.

--------------------
It's NOT illegal. It's just frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane.

drop92
PITUDO
RACING 415
Member # 1323

Ford Icon 10 posted      Profile for drop92  Ford pictures for drop92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I read somewhere that ford racing sells a t56 that works with 96-04 speedos. I can't remember where. Just tryng to find out if that's even true
CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 302 DROP:
im about to order a transmission for my 96 cobra! im looking to buy a t56! i now people have done this mod on thissite before! is there anything additional i need to do this swap like driveshaft or cross member.........

this is all youre going to need.

http://www.ddperformance.com/shop/index.php?cPath=108_143

The T-56 Magnum is the next generation aftermarket T-56 6 Speed transmission and is based on the TR-6060 transmission, original equipment in the Mustang GT500, Corvette, Camaro, Viper & Challenger.
Features:
- 700lb-ft Torque Capacity with 2.97 or 2.66 1st Gear
- Mechanical or Electric Speedometer
- 26 T Input Shaft
- 31 T Output S

I would say this is stronger than a TKO and a lot more fun to drive as well... the brackets just move the crossmember back..I use them in my 95....

there is an electronic plug which is used for your speedo so no mod there....not much modding is needed so dont be fooled...

or AJE makes a badass new crossmember that put you can still use your standard mounts and their crossmember....

[ May 24, 2010, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: jordan_0806 ]

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you were going to do the install with OUT using the D&D kit,

you will need

-Reverse lockout solenoid connector - EASY

-Timer box to hook up a button for the solenoid -EASY

-Ford racing driver shaft with 31 spline yoke (will be shortened)

-Energy suspension tranny mount

-Fox clutch fork

here's a T56 installed with a AJE crossmember:

-
 -

-

it took me and blown95svt to install a 6 speed in my 95 Cobra about 3 hours using the brackets...it would hav been about 1.5 if we didnt have to measure and drill...

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

Beasty5.0
¯
Member # 2935

Ford Icon 10 posted      Profile for Beasty5.0  Ford pictures for Beasty5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Actually if I remember correctly if your's is a 98 cobra it has removeable crossmember mounts, then you can do the following:

1. Cross member will need to be moved backward. Bascially, the two holes that are used on each side get moved up. The rear holes on the crossmember need to lined up with the front holes on the car. Finally, front holes on the crossmember become spots for the bolt.
2. The driveshaft from the cobra (03/04) should work, but will need to change the slip yoke.
3. For the speedometer, you can buy the Dallas extended range speedcal
4. The reverse light wires will need to be extended to go over the tranny. I believe the stock trans is on the driver side, the new tranny has it on the passenger side.
5. Finally, the reverse lockout switch needs to be installed. When my conversion was done, it wasn't completed, but plan to have it done sooner or later.

[ May 24, 2010, 12:25 AM: Message edited by: Beasty5.0 ]

Posts: 1055 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
drop92
PITUDO
RACING 415
Member # 1323

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for drop92  Ford pictures for drop92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is it worth putting a 6 speed?
CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

quote:

I would say 100% YES!...especially if you drive the car alot....you'll never want another trans after getting one...

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

RAP66
¯
Member # 3360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RAP66  Ford pictures for RAP66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Depends....

If your upgrading to 03/04 cobra spec (which is what I did) then no. The final drive is still the same .62 (correction the Viper spec is .5). You do get the benefit of a better ratio in the tranny and the higher trq ratings

If I were to do the swap again I would do the viper spec t56. You get the stronger spline input shaft and a lower final ratio.

Just did a quick check of D&D's website looks like they revamped their stuff, you now have more choices.

[ May 26, 2010, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: hard jokur ]

--------------------
91GT Kurgan Tuned:12lbs of boost 492.4 rwhp / 483.1 rwtq
http://killcarb.org/

www.fordstrokers.com

Posts: 893 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Glad you put pics. I wanted to see how it looked installed.

[ 2013-10-27, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: autumnstang97 ]

--------------------
1997 Autumn Orange GT vert
1996 Mystic Cobra
2005 95ci Harley Road King
2011 F150 Raptor

Posts: 2139 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraracer46  Ford pictures for cobraracer46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Way back in 2007, I went to D&D performance and purchased a Viper spec T56 and the install kit so I could install it in my Cobra. I like the .50 6Th gear and the immense torque capacity of the Viper box, but if the Magnum was available in 2007, I would have chosen that trans instead as it comes with a .50 6TH AND 2.95 FIRST gear instead of the Viper's 2.66 first.

For sure the T56 is the way to go. The overhauled stock 5 speeds such as the "built" T5, T45 or TR3650 transmissions are a waste of money as they don't come close to having the torque capacity of the Magnum or Viper 6 speed transmissions. Don't fool around with the 5 speed boxes. Get a Magnum T56 and be done with it.

--------------------
2001 SVT cobra convertible with a Viper T56, Fikse wheels, Griggs frame kit, roll bar, Vortech, 4:30 gears, brembo GT brakes and more.

Posts: 1172 | From: Woodside California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com