Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Failed smog

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Failed smog
5OHS5OH
¯
Member # 4665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5OHS5OH  Ford pictures for 5OHS5OH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[Frown]

Well, I knida expected it. The measured levels were 2x the allowable. I passed the visual after provideing the CARB board exemption papers for the bbk cai and shorty headers.

The tech said that everything checked fine, timing, vacuum etc, but it failed as a gross poluter due to the high numbers.

The h-pipe was on the car when bought it and the cats look pretty old to me, they may even be the stockers. What can I expect to pay a shop to swap in four new cats? Or, who sells new h-pipes with cats and all for the best price?

I get a free re-test and since I'm not throwing any codes, I'm guessing some new cats will do the trick. And yes, I got the old ones nice and hot before the test and all the usual steps.

--------------------
89 Convertable GT
BBK Headers, cai

Posts: 1044 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
Mach916
¯
Member # 8264

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mach916  Ford pictures for Mach916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
post your numbers
Posts: 1247 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for straightliner1  Ford pictures for straightliner1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Car Sound (a division of Magnaflow) sells a CARB-legal 2 cat H pipe. Take a look at their site.

EDIT: Scratch that, I just looked and due to the latest legislation, they now only make 4-cat systems. Damnit!

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=3556

[ May 04, 2010, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: straightliner1 ]

Posts: 484 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
have you run a KOER test to check everything out?

my `91 failed earlier this year and I easily fixed it by running the KOER, seeing the code 33 (egr not opening) and tracked it down to a bad EVR, the sensor on the passenger strut tower that controls the EGR.

passed easily after replacing it [Smile]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Post your smog results. There are a couple different things that could be going on.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
CAStang
¯
Member # 9568

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CAStang  Ford pictures for CAStang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I passed with hollowed out cats. Im completely stock with the exception of the hollowed out cats (Hollow because they literally fell apart and hollowed themselves out). I have a 92GT with 170K miles on the stock motor. All I did was set my timing at 10 degrees and ran 91 octane when I somogged it.
Posts: 351 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Nov 2009  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com