Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » old school front end ?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: old school front end ?
1FAST89GT
¯
Member # 5071

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1FAST89GT  Ford pictures for 1FAST89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
will the front steering components steering knucle, tie rods etc.... from a 67 work on a 65 ?
1FAST89GT
¯
Member # 5071

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1FAST89GT  Ford pictures for 1FAST89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
any input?
silver n black
¯
Member # 8369

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silver n black  Ford pictures for silver n black    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
look it up on mustangplus in see if the parts # match up if not they dont
Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm thinking not since the 67 has a different style center link A-amrs and such. You might be able to get the spindles to work. I got granada spindles on mine and it works fine. Give mustangsplus a call and ask them.
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No. I tried it once when I was trying to upgrade the 4-lug setup on my '66. If you use '67 and later spindles, you need to use the tie-rod ends from '67 and later too. The diameter of the stud is different between the two.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
1FAST89GT
¯
Member # 5071

I have all that center link everything tie rods and stuff just wanna know if that will work.
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1FAST89GT:
I have all that center link everything tie rods and stuff just wanna know if that will work.

Nope. Everything is just different enough it won't work.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
66mstgfsbk
¯
Member # 5197

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66mstgfsbk  Ford pictures for 66mstgfsbk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
65-66 has smaller tie rod cones, the p/s and manual tie rods are also differ. the p/s steering ram for 65/66 and 67/68 is totally diff.
lower control arms differ since 65/66 used shims to align camber where 67 and later use eccentrics on the lower control arm. i dont remember about the upper. the spindles also differ such as the bearings, holes for tierods since the cones are larger, and brake set ups. 65/66 mainly had drums with small bearings but the kel/hays brake conversion kit will fit up to 67 because the knuckles are near identical. the steering gear boxes are interchangeable.

what exactly are you trying to do?

the hands down best low cost kit for the 65/66 is to stay with the stock components and use the shelby drop with parts from orp. ive been trying to get my 66 done for years now and just did paint and will be using orp parts. ive looked at everything from mustang II to martz to misc k member kits and even the cpp mini subframe kit. i just saw it as im im out of town in the boonies with the car which kit can i buy a part for to make it home.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com