Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Having a hard time deciding what I want to build!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Having a hard time deciding what I want to build!
white1990stang
¯
Member # 2307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white1990stang  Ford pictures for white1990stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So my previous motor was a blown 306 that was making close to 550hp at the wheels. Im starting from scratch with a 351 based dart block. Having trouble deciding if i want to build it for a blower or build a n/a motor. Im thinking just building if for boost cause i dont think i can get as much power out of a n/a motor. Also im not sure what size bore to order. 4.00" or 4.125". Open to suggestions but i need to make a decision on a rotating assembly very soon

--------------------
You must be fast, cause I was haullin ass when I passed you.

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
4.125" bore x 4" stroke (427ci)

2 ways I'd do it....depending on what I was looking for.

1. 500+RWHP all motor setup. On the mild side, but plenty of power and TQ to run low 10's at 130ish MPH with a 3200lb Raceweight. You could always spray it for more power....or you could go wilder and get 550+ out of it on motor, then spray.

2. Low compression super mild setup and add boost. 600+RWHP on pump gas wouldn't be an issue....& a LOT more on race fuel.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by white1990stang:
So my previous motor was a blown 306 that was making close to 550hp at the wheels. Im starting from scratch with a 351 based dart block. Having trouble deciding if i want to build it for a blower or build a n/a motor. Im thinking just building if for boost cause i dont think i can get as much power out of a n/a motor. Also im not sure what size bore to order. 4.00" or 4.125". Open to suggestions but i need to make a decision on a rotating assembly very soon

Do yourself a huge favor and get the 4.125 bore. I think all dart windsor 9.5 deck blocks use the cleveland 2.75 mains so you are good to go with that as well.

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
white1990stang
¯
Member # 2307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white1990stang  Ford pictures for white1990stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok ive decided to go n/a. How much compression can i run on pump gas considering its all tuned right? Dan what way will the bigger bore benefit me? This lower end stuff is new to me. Its definately gonna be a stroker but not sure how big yet. I'd prefer it to be a top end motor. like it to rev to at least 7k

--------------------
You must be fast, cause I was haullin ass when I passed you.

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It all depends what you want out of the car and what your chassis can handle.

I know my fastback will be way over powered but I wanted that wow factor an don't plan on dragging it and to street drive it I have big enough waste gates to control the boost down low and make an eassssssy 700 rwhp.

The dart block I got was a sportsman with a 4" bore that way you get way more life out of the block quick can be bored up to 4.185. It's ready for roller cam with no work.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Smaller bore pistons are easier to find if you find a stroker kit and to rev to 7 k I'd do with a tight lash solid roller. Oh and don't skimp out on lifters to survive on the street your gonna have to spend about 500-700 on lifters about 400 on steel rocker arms about 400 on a customs solid cam and about 250 on springs to match then don't forget some 3/8 pushrods

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com