Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » T-5 in a 1965 mustang

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: T-5 in a 1965 mustang
1FAST89GT
¯
Member # 5071

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1FAST89GT  Ford pictures for 1FAST89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know they sell some stuff for the swap but was wondering if anyone ha some links or input. Thanx

[ March 25, 2010, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: 1FAST89GT ]

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
find a price for a cross member thats a direct bolt. then call me and ill make u one 3 times as tuff and strong for the same price. lol! quite trippin and just doit. you never seen the cross member we did in trents 64 falcon for the 5 speed?
Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Obvious  Ford pictures for Captain Obvious    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would go with a hydraulic clutch setup over a cable....there could be one issue, the limited space on the firewall/brake master cyl area on a 65-66. not sure if you could fit a power booster and a clutch master cyl in that cramped ass area. I installed one in 68, but not sure about a 65-66

it might be a better idea to go with a sn95 style T5. it will position the T5 about 5/8" further back and that would line up with the original shifter hole alot better. (less hacking of sheet metal). that really is not an issue, just something to consider.

--------------------
It's NOT illegal. It's just frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane.

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
there is a bosster that fits.i like the cable but header clearance is a science lol! unless you run shortys. which is what u should have if the motor aint all pumped up. but the hydrauli is the toyota feel and no exaust problems. but more pricy.
street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
t5 conversion parts

kinda pricy but they have good products. I heard you can make a crossmember pretty easily tough.
I'll see if I can find the link to make one
I was thinking of buying a 64 ranchero and doing a t5 swap someday. anyway use the link above for referance. They have a clutch cable conversion too. Good luck

[ March 26, 2010, 12:34 AM: Message edited by: street_illegal_stang ]

Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
ratfast
¯
Member # 8720

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ratfast  Ford pictures for ratfast    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've had a '65 and a '66 both with T5 transmissions that I've installed. The T5 crossmember can be ordered as the conversion is quite common. I used a cable conversion kit from I believe Mustang Steve. I also converted the clutch pedal to a sealed bearing unit instead of the bushing stock type. By using the cable kit, a stock clutch cable from a Fox body mustang can be used, plus you get the adjuster that bolts up to the firewall.

--------------------
'93 White notch all stock

Posts: 604 | From: roseville, california | Registered: Oct 2008  |  :
65mustang408
¯
Member # 8681

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 65mustang408  Ford pictures for 65mustang408    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a ron morris cable made for the swapif interested.

--------------------
fast and cool shit

Posts: 947 | From: sacramento | Registered: Oct 2008  |  :
CaliCoop
¯
Member # 7031

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliCoop  Ford pictures for CaliCoop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I ran with the ron morris kit for T5 swap and I like it so far and I converted to the the needle bearing clutch pedal and that shit feels real good, all that hydraulic shit I'm sure its good stuff but I'm Cheap as hell and it works for me

--------------------
"Swang Shyt Click"
1991 Silver&Black Notchback on Vogues,Mach 1's, Black Bullits, Black Chrome Saleens
2000 Camaro SS "SOLD"
1968 Stang 5spd coupe

Posts: 412 | From: Mack Rd. Sacramento | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

theres a kit that uses a firwall adjuster that uses a stock cable and i can make it silly.
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 68stanger:
I would go with a hydraulic clutch setup over a cable....there could be one issue, the limited space on the firewall/brake master cyl area on a 65-66. not sure if you could fit a power booster and a clutch master cyl in that cramped ass area. I installed one in 68, but not sure about a 65-66

You did a hydraulic setup with a brake booster? Got a pic? I'm planning on doing the same to my '68.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Obvious  Ford pictures for Captain Obvious    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by wilit:
quote:
Originally posted by 68stanger:

You did a hydraulic setup with a brake booster? Got a pic? I'm planning on doing the same to my '68.
pm sent

--------------------
It's NOT illegal. It's just frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane.

Jesse
¯
Member # 312

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jesse  Ford pictures for Jesse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've got the Modern Driveline kit in my '65. The kit works great. The cable cleared my brake booster; I just had to order a set of 351 headers since the cable rubbed on the others.

Jesse

Posts: 1342 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
1FAST89GT
¯
Member # 5071

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1FAST89GT  Ford pictures for 1FAST89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 65mustang408:
i have a ron morris cable made for the swapif interested.

just picked this up so all i need is the crossmember

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com