Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » front end "slop"

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: front end "slop"
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what is the best way to be rid of the front end steering slop. Steering wheel moved quite a distance before the actual wheels do.

72 mustang coupe

Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Obvious  Ford pictures for Captain Obvious    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
on the top of the steering box there should be a set screw with a nut on it. you can tighten up the steering by messing with that screw.

put the front end on jack stands, then straighten the wheels. now give the set screw 1/4 turn then lock it in place, do that then give it a go around the block to get a feel of how it changed and how much it needs to be adjusted. do that until the steering is firm to your liking. any adjustments that are made, are done with the wheels centered. after you have it where you want it, give it a final 1/4 turn and lock it back in place.

also would change out tie rods and other related parts first.... if needed.

--------------------
It's NOT illegal. It's just frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane.

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks will give it a go
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check all your bushings on the front end.. especially the rack bushings.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 68stanger:
on the top of the steering box there should be a set screw with a nut on it. you can tighten up the steering by messing with that screw.

put the front end on jack stands, then straighten the wheels. now give the set screw 1/4 turn then lock it in place, do that then give it a go around the block to get a feel of how it changed and how much it needs to be adjusted. do that until the steering is firm to your liking. any adjustments that are made, are done with the wheels centered. after you have it where you want it, give it a final 1/4 turn and lock it back in place.

also would change out tie rods and other related parts first.... if needed.

this is what i would but i would also check for fluid leaking from the gear box if there is i would replace it to.
and did you ever get the no starting problem fixed

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the rag joint on these cars are normally toast by now, if never changed from the first one. and if the steering box is loose i personally would get a new one. to many <if chances> on what to go out inside one. and the idler arm always goes out every 3 years of normal driveing. these are most 3 most common things to go out on these older mustangs of those years.
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Yeah the main resistor wire was toasted and had to be replaced. That is why it wouldn't start. Was weird.

Put a whole new exhaust on it too. Just some two chamber flow with pipe out the back and turned down tips.

Now its getting a new stereo system put in but that seems to be some kind of debacle (spelling). Hopefully i can get it back soon and drive this bitch.

68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i just noticed my 68 box is leaking.. im trying to figure out what i want to do next.. anyone every try flaming river steering box?? im tired of having a dead spot on the freeway

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

Posts: 3986 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
Maxoctane
¯
Member # 1466

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maxoctane  Ford pictures for Maxoctane  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Duncan Motors:
the rag joint on these cars are normally toast by now, if never changed from the first one. and if the steering box is loose i personally would get a new one. to many <if chances> on what to go out inside one. and the idler arm always goes out every 3 years of normal driveing. these are most 3 most common things to go out on these older mustangs of those years.

+1 Rag joint is probably the most neglected and ignored part of the steering system on these older cars.

--------------------
www.maxcarauto.com
BUY/SELL/TRADE/FINANCE

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com