Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Battery Relocation question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Battery Relocation question
MikeD.
¯
Member # 8060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MikeD.  Ford pictures for MikeD.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I'm going to run my battery in my hatch and had a few questions. So for grounding I ground the batter to the frame/body, then from the block to body. I have sub frame connectors so that should help for grounding from the front to the back. Any other suggestions for grounding? Thanks!

--------------------
1999 FRC Vette
12.77 @ 110

Posts: 2854 | From: Vacaville Ca, 707 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  :
Sydewayz 24/7
¯
Member # 8725

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz 24/7  Ford pictures for Sydewayz 24/7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
that should work just fine and also wat size wire you running for the power

--------------------
Stayin Sydeways

Cstang5.0
¯
Member # 4925

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cstang5.0  Ford pictures for Cstang5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
make sure you get a power shut off switch and that it kills the power of the car when running so your car will pass tech at the track
Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ya its cool to put the battery in the trunk, but I hate the cut off switch to pass tech. On my old 90 I put the cut off behind the plate. Go to the track and pell the plate off. On the street nobody can tell its there. Ground to theh frame below, and scrape it good prior. Also always good to keep it as short as possible.

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

whitelx91
¯
Member # 8317

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for whitelx91  Ford pictures for whitelx91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mine is grounded to my cage and I had two grounds to the motor and still had issues. Its best to take the batt ground and run it all the way to the motor. If you dont want to do that then just make sure you run plenty of grounds to the motor with big straps. Check the resistance of your grounding sytem afterwards by taking volt meter and making sure the resistance is as low as possible.

--------------------
SuistangS

Posts: 380 | From: Sacramento Ca. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  :
7-Up Man
¯
Member # 8345

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 7-Up Man  Ford pictures for 7-Up Man    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am also running a relocation kit. But where do you push it through the firewall? Or do you run it under the car? I am having trouble figuring which is the best way to run the battery cable. I am running 0 fine welding wire for my battery cables. Its about 3/4" thick.

--------------------
"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." -Red Green

Posts: 93 | From: Walnut Creek | Registered: Apr 2008  |  :
whitelx91
¯
Member # 8317

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for whitelx91  Ford pictures for whitelx91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I ran mine through the wiring harness hole in the upperleft under my dash where the coil harness goes through. You could put anywhere really just keep it protected.

--------------------
SuistangS

Posts: 380 | From: Sacramento Ca. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  :
RODRIGUEZ
¯
Member # 9104

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RODRIGUEZ  Ford pictures for RODRIGUEZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 7-Up Man:
I am also running a relocation kit. But where do you push it through the firewall? Or do you run it under the car? I am having trouble figuring which is the best way to run the battery cable. I am running 0 fine welding wire for my battery cables. Its about 3/4" thick.

I ran mine down through the carpet on the drivers side, then through the gas pedal into the engine bay.

I've seen some people run them under the car but I'd be worried to scrape the cable on a speed bump...

MikeD.
¯
Member # 8060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MikeD.  Ford pictures for MikeD.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Eh the cut off it kinda gay since it's just a street car mostly. Anywhere else I could run one where it can't be seen but accessible?

Wire size I would like to run 1/0AWG, but it's just so damn expensive. From Summit it 108.00 for 20ft of it!

[ March 06, 2010, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: MikeD. ]

--------------------
1999 FRC Vette
12.77 @ 110

Posts: 2854 | From: Vacaville Ca, 707 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by MikeD.:
Eh the cut off it kinda gay since it's just a street car mostly. Anywhere else I could run one where it can't be seen but accessible?

Wire size I would like to run 1/0AWG, but it's just so damn expensive. From Summit it 108.00 for 20ft of it!

behind the plate -
 -
I just take my plate off at the track.

I got my 0/1 cable for from the switch to the solenoid from a BMW e36 in the junkyard.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
rollin5ive0
¯
Member # 8592

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rollin5ive0  Ford pictures for rollin5ive0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ohhh so youll be pullin wheelie stands sooner than i expected!! [Whoo Whooooo!] [patriot] [worship] [burnout]

--------------------
875.0gt
90dtlx5.0
93blkvenumos5.0COBRA#3377
96redthundr4.6l4vCOBRA
964.6l2vGT
895.0lGT
93cleancorlgreen5.0GT
93meancoralgreen5.0GT

Posts: 1830 | From: 707 vacaville ca | Registered: Aug 2008  |  :
Sydewayz 24/7
¯
Member # 8725

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz 24/7  Ford pictures for Sydewayz 24/7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MikeD.:

[/QUOTE
you should just find a stereo shop and get the wire from there it will be alot cheaper

--------------------
Stayin Sydeways

68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
whats the best way to hook up the wiring.. i know last time i went to the track the guy said i had mine hooked up wrong... It will shut the car off when at idle, but reving it up to 2k the alt will keep the car running. Are you guys running 2 big wires?? i have a 1 wire alt.

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

Posts: 3986 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 68dustin:
whats the best way to hook up the wiring.. i know last time i went to the track the guy said i had mine hooked up wrong... It will shut the car off when at idle, but reving it up to 2k the alt will keep the car running. Are you guys running 2 big wires?? i have a 1 wire alt.

1 big wire from switch in trunk to solenoid.

1 medium wire from alternator to switched side of switch

1 big wire from battery + to switched side of switch

1 big wire from battery - to frame rail bolt by quad shocks

this way, the switch turns off the battery and the alternator, it's very simple.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
FORDNUT
CAFords OG
Member # 2348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FORDNUT  Ford pictures for FORDNUT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by MikeD.:

Hit me up I can help with cable cost..

[ March 08, 2010, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: FORDNUT ]

Posts: 650 | From: Elk Grove,CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com