Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Gas Tank Leak

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Gas Tank Leak
positiveextreme
¯
Member # 4472

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for positiveextreme  Ford pictures for positiveextreme  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hello.

Repeat question:

when i gas up after 10+ gallons, the gas starts to leak. It only leaks after 10+gallons.

anyone have an idea where the leak could be occurring? i was told it was a seal at the top.

thank you

--------------------
David Hernandez
dhernandez@imaginemediagroup.com

Posts: 73 | From: San Francisco | Registered: May 2004  |  :
Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the o ring on the side of the tank attached to the filler tube

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
89bluenotch
¯
Member # 7454

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89bluenotch  Ford pictures for 89bluenotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get under there and look where it's coming from. My car used to leak around turns when i first got it, There was a seal at the bottom of the filler neck that goes into the tank that went bad.

--------------------
-Gunnar
89 coupe
54 f100
R.I.P. SILVERLX

Posts: 1857 | From: HEALDSBURG | Registered: Feb 2007  |  :
93ReefBlue5.0
¯
Member # 5780

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93ReefBlue5.0  Ford pictures for 93ReefBlue5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it's probably leaking from the filler neck gasket. it's a very common problem. look up under the car right where the filler neck goes into the tank. look to see if the gasket is dried/cracked/ripped. also look for prior leaking.
Posts: 1535 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
positiveextreme
¯
Member # 4472

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for positiveextreme  Ford pictures for positiveextreme  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks everyone.

--------------------
David Hernandez

50Mustang
¯
Member # 3108

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Mustang  Ford pictures for 50Mustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if that rubber gasket is your problem, I remember it's like 10 bucks at the dealership [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Theirs no such thing as to much horsepower and torque"

925GT50
¯
Member # 2683

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 925GT50  Ford pictures for 925GT50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
^

yep had that same problem on my 88' before, i think it was like $20 or so not too sure, its and easy fix though.

--------------------
1990 GT hatch (owned since 05')
1988 GT (sold)
1995 SN95 Cobra (totaled/parted)
1995 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am LT1 (daily driver)

justflipa03
¯
Member # 9642

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for justflipa03  Ford pictures for justflipa03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ya but if you have a mustang you ahve to take the whole tank out to fix it

--------------------
2003 Mustang Gt
1992 Ford Bronco XLT

street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by justflipa03:
ya but if you have a mustang you ahve to take the whole tank out to fix it

Two 1/2" bolts -tank straps

a few 8mm , 10mm bolts and thats it.

Maybe support the tank with a floor jack so you dont have to drop it all the way. lowered just enough to free up the filler neck.

Its not that hard and should only take a hour.
Its best to have the tank near empty before the drop

Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
positiveextreme
¯
Member # 4472

thanks street illegal stang and everyone else.

--------------------
David Hernandez

warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by smokealot:
if that rubber gasket is your problem, I remember it's like 10 bucks at the dealership [Big Grin]

it was $38 at the dealer ship here in stockton.. and it is dealship only... well atleast it was last year when i bought mine..

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

50Mustang
¯
Member # 3108

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Mustang  Ford pictures for 50Mustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by warhorse58gt:
quote:
Originally posted by smokealot:

it was $38 at the dealer ship here in stockton.. and it is dealship only... well atleast it was last year when i bought mine..
the price i guess went up, I had that gas leak 8 years ago and also got a employee discount on the gasket. It's good 2 know friends that work for Ford dealerships.

[ February 28, 2010, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: smokealot ]

--------------------
"Theirs no such thing as to much horsepower and torque"

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com