Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Not the headgasket...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Not the headgasket...
Curt
¯
Member # 6254

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt  Ford pictures for Curt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Maybe you guys can help me out here.

Picked up a little 'yota pickup for a steal ($300! Running!) The AC even works! The bad news is that it was mixing oil and water."No problem, its just the headgasket!" I thought. But today I got the head off and the gasket hadn't blown :S

Now, I know the 22re had problems with the timing chain eating its way into the coolant passages, and this one was really close to doing so, but it didn't go all the way thru.

Im stumped, the truck has 310k on the clock but still has cross-hatching and I can't even feel the ridge with my nail. What do you guys think could be up? I checked the head with a ruler and feeler and it seemed ok, same with the block. Im taking the head in tomorrow.

Any ideas?

--------------------
'90 GT
'94 Toyota 4wd "It have problem"
'56 F100 5.8 AFR185's Vortech SC S-trim

Posts: 866 | From: Monterey/Rocklin | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Curt:
Maybe you guys can help me out here.

Picked up a little 'yota pickup for a steal ($300! Running!) The AC even works! The bad news is that it was mixing oil and water."No problem, its just the headgasket!" I thought. But today I got the head off and the gasket hadn't blown :S

Now, I know the 22re had problems with the timing chain eating its way into the coolant passages, and this one was really close to doing so, but it didn't go all the way thru.

Im stumped, the truck has 310k on the clock but still has cross-hatching and I can't even feel the ridge with my nail. What do you guys think could be up? I checked the head with a ruler and feeler and it seemed ok, same with the block. Im taking the head in tomorrow.

Any ideas?

i i have seen the 22r heads crack the coolant passages but with 300k i would just get a new engine for it
Curt
¯
Member # 6254

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt  Ford pictures for Curt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
nah its still got alot of life left in it, I'll have them magnaflux the head.

--------------------
'90 GT

BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

just with what i have seen with high milage engines an doing head work is like putting a band aid on a shot gun blast.you can find used 22r for pretty cheap
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Is it an iron head??

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
MikeD.
¯
Member # 8060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MikeD.  Ford pictures for MikeD.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You should find a 22ret out of an 87 4runner and swap that in. I believe they came in early 88's too. Turbo pickups are the shit!

--------------------
1999 FRC Vette
12.77 @ 110

Posts: 2854 | From: Vacaville Ca, 707 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  :
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

quote:
Originally posted by turbo50:
quote:

Is it an iron head??
the last time i checked there were aluminum heads on the 22r engines
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by fasthatch nws:
quote:
Originally posted by turbo50:
quote:

Is it an iron head??
the last time i checked there were aluminum heads on the 22r engines
Then you cant mag it. It will have to be dye and pressure checked.

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
Curt
¯
Member # 6254

Yeah its aluminum. I am leaning towards the head being cracked now because the block looks great.

I would love to swap in a rebuilt but I only have a garage for a few more weeks and this thing has got to move. I installed new rod and main bearings today, no rust and the std size plasti'ed within spec. I have a feeling the truck got a new engine at some point in its 300k lifetime.

Get this, none of the axles leak at all, the U-joints are nice, and there is NO trail damage underneath!

As for the mystery, there was water in the oil (milkshake) but no oil in the water....weird. That would make me think cracked coolant passage in the head or leaky timing cover, but idk.

Oh yeah, the #5 and #8 head bolts took some of the threads with them :S they were also coated in carbon, maybe due to the fact that they go thru the exhaust ports. Deposits on the combustion chambers and plugs indicate overheating.

[ February 19, 2010, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: Curt ]

--------------------
'90 GT

Curt
¯
Member # 6254

22RE

Hmm...that IS mighty tempting...

--------------------
'90 GT

Curt
¯
Member # 6254

Found It! I found a crack in the timing cover behind the water pump, Should have looked harder before pulling the head but oh well, shes almost back together now!

--------------------
'90 GT

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com