Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 351W questions?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 351W questions?
¯
Member # 9375

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 96232  Ford pictures for 96232    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am considering down the road a ways swapping the 5.0 out of my car for a 351W and am wondering, what parts for the 302 will swap over? I'd like to buy parts for the motor in the car now, but don't want to buy parts that wont swap over to the new engine.

thanks

Posts: 118 | From: Pine Grove | Registered: Aug 2009  |  :
Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Obvious  Ford pictures for Captain Obvious    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
from your 5.0L

timing cover, water pump, alt bracket, heads, valve covers, T5 or AOD, motor mounts, injector rails (soft lines on the ends of the rails might need to be extended,

you will need

distributor, oil pan/pickup, intake, PS bracket for 351w, balancer 28oz in), 28oz in flywheel or flexplate, 351w swap headers,

--------------------
It's NOT illegal. It's just frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane.

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
fantastic swap!
¯
Member # 9375

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 96232  Ford pictures for 96232    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks
94 fobra
¯
Member # 8867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94 fobra  Ford pictures for 94 fobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
isnt the distributor on the 302 and the 351 the same unless its the clevland.oops i ment to quote 68stanger

[ February 08, 2010, 02:17 AM: Message edited by: Big block 66 f100 ]

--------------------
Im done with this ford vs chevy fight with "cafords" members. Aka big block 66 f100 but she's no longer:(

BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Big block 66 f100:
isnt the distributor on the 302 and the 351 the same unless its the clevland.oops i ment to quote 68stanger

no a 302 an 351 distributor are not the same a 351w is a taller block
SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIC9250  Ford pictures for SIC9250    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 68stanger:
from your 5.0L

timing cover, water pump, alt bracket, heads, valve covers, T5 or AOD, motor mounts, injector rails (soft lines on the ends of the rails might need to be extended,

you will need

distributor, oil pan/pickup, intake, PS bracket for 351w, balancer 28oz in), 28oz in flywheel or flexplate, 351w swap headers,

dont forget a cowl hood and solid steering shaft...rag joint wont fit with swap headers plus it gets rid of the sloppy steering [patriot]

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

Posts: 6959 | From: in the drivers seat. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  :
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a stock hood and didnt have to get a solid steering shaft.
phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I swapped mine to a 351w and kept the stock rag joint. I had Ford Racing swap shorties on it, and they fit great, but were probably costing me a lot of power.
¯
Member # 9375

will my AOD be ok for the swap assuming the 5.8 is stock?
Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Obvious  Ford pictures for Captain Obvious    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 96232:
will my AOD be ok for the swap assuming the 5.8 is stock?

same trans bolt pattern as a 302. it will hold up just fine for a stock 5.8L

--------------------

¯
Member # 9375

what about smog, Will it be problem as long as the cam stays stock. What about the crossover tube for the EGR on the back of the heads, will there be a clearance problem between the firewall and the tube?
Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

technacally it would NOT be smog legal but I highly doubt the smog tech will even notice the difference between the 302/351w engine.

the 302 crossover tube probably will not work on a 351 because it would not be long enough, the heads on a 351w will be spaced different then a 302 engine (farther apart). but im sure you could just grab that part from another 351w

--------------------

Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

fire wall spacing will not change between the 302/351w. shock tower clearence will be slightly affected, its has a taller deck so the heads are pushed a little further out because of it.

you should go with a 302 based stroker over a STOCK 351w

--------------------

¯
Member # 9375

another question, Should I be looking for a 157 or 164 tooth flywheel?
¯
Member # 9375

and does the harmonic balancer need to be exactly 28 oz inbalance, or can it be 28.2 or 28.4 oz inbalance. Summit only lists 2 at the exact 28 oz inbalance, but more come up as 28.2 or 28.4 oz
89'LXNOTCH
¯
Member # 8810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89'LXNOTCH  Ford pictures for 89'LXNOTCH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can use the 157 tooth 28 oz. flywheel and any of the 28 oz balancers. Im almost done with my 351 fox swap. Can get expensive but a mild 351 Windsor will easily make more power with cast iron heads than a 302 with aluminum heads and major bolt ons. I have a freshly resurfaced Centerforce Billet Steel 157 tooth 28 oz balance flywheel if you need it for $250. Call me if interested at 510-522-2347. Good Luck [Big Grin]
Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

if your going to use your 5.0L starter then then a 157t 28oz imbalance flexplate/flywheel will work just fine.
username1822
¯
Member # 8583

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for username1822  Ford pictures for username1822    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Actually, it would be a smog legal swap if you got it reffed and had all the correct smog equipment.

As long as the motor you are swapping in is from the same year car or newer than yours, and in the same "family" (truck engine in a truck, car engine in a car), then it's legal.

The 1995 Cobra R came with a 351w, so it would be a legal swap for an 1995 or older mustang.

Here's more info.
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/07_AutoRepair/Engine_Change_Guidelines.html

--------------------
95 GT

phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cut the crossover tube between the heads and splice in a piece of high temp silicone hose. Put a Lightning lower intake on it with a Cobra upper and drive it to the smog shop. With shortie headers on it, 95% of the smog guys will not have a clue that it is a 351w.

I wouldn't bother with the swap if you are just going to run some low buck 351. It would be cheaper to put the money spent on swap parts into the existing 302. Swapping a windsor is worth it if you are going all out. Otherwise, I'd stick with the 8.2" deck motors.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com