Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » gt40 intake install problems, please help!!!!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: gt40 intake install problems, please help!!!!!
87 4spd GT
¯
Member # 9216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87 4spd GT  Ford pictures for 87 4spd GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So about 3 months ago I wasn't driving the car so I decided to attempt to install a explorer upper and lower I have had for awhile. Well while trying to put the old ass injectors back in I broke 3 of them brittle ass bitches. So after not showing much interest in getting it going I got some new injectors and tried to finish it up. So I changed the oil and thought everything went smooth until I started it up. So it misses and smokes like a HUMBOLDT HIPPIE. Also after trying to back it into the garage I noticed that I had no brakes, which leads me to believe that I have an vaccuum leak. So I also thought that my stabbing of the dizzy might have been wrong but correct me on this. I set the damper on zero with number 1@tdc i covered the plug hole until a rush of air came out. Stabbed the dizzy by placing the rotor on #8 setting in place and fell right on number one with the rotor pointing at high noon..........

So what do ya think? Vaccuum leak? please help.....

--------------------
Putting a 'Playboy' brand g-string on your 'ol lady does not make her a Playmate

Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
maybe you dint the lower intake gaskets set correctly..

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
87 4spd GT
¯
Member # 9216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87 4spd GT  Ford pictures for 87 4spd GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well I used rtv on the front and back of the block, and double checked the alignment of the gaskets to the heads from looking through the bolt holes to verify the alignment, so I was thinking maybe a leak coming from the rtv area. But definately no brakes so I am pretty sure its gotta have a leak somewhere. But will that cause it to miss bad and not idle properly?

--------------------
Putting a 'Playboy' brand g-string on your 'ol lady does not make her a Playmate

Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 87 4spd GT:
well I used rtv on the front and back of the block, and double checked the alignment of the gaskets to the heads from looking through the bolt holes to verify the alignment, so I was thinking maybe a leak coming from the rtv area. But definately no brakes so I am pretty sure its gotta have a leak somewhere. But will that cause it to miss bad and not idle properly?

vacuum leak will def make your car do that...

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
87 4spd GT
¯
Member # 9216

So is it safe to say that its not the distributor being a tooth off than?

--------------------

Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if the timming is set too far adv. or retard your gonna have low vacuum. did you check it with a timming light? with the spout out?

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
87 4spd GT
¯
Member # 9216

ya checked it with a dial advance timing light set at 0 on the dial with spout out. set timiing at either 12 or 14 and still running like garbage........

--------------------

2BlueGeeTees
¯
Member # 4702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2BlueGeeTees  Ford pictures for 2BlueGeeTees    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What do the vacuum lines look like and are they all in place to the tree, egr, fpr, charcoal canister?
Posts: 2316 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is your Mustang speed density?

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
87 4spd GT
¯
Member # 9216

I did a maf conversion on it about a year ago. The vacuum lines are as follows, for back I have the FPR, to some smog shit, with the bigger vaccuum line going to the tree with the brake booster on it. And I the fron is hoooked up to what i believe is the charcoal canister.....?

--------------------

2BlueGeeTees
¯
Member # 4702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2BlueGeeTees  Ford pictures for 2BlueGeeTees    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds rite. The one in the front going down to canister. 2 small ones in the back 1 to the FPR and on to the vacuum plug that goes to the air injection tube and egr. And the bigger one to the vacuum tree.
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If I remember correctly the Explorer intake had a few extra vacuum ports that need to be plugged

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
2BlueGeeTees
¯
Member # 4702

Lee I believe you are correct but it has been years since I have even touched one I didn't even think of that. I like it simple 1 vac line to the fpr and 1 to the booster. Gotta love race cars there is hardly anything to mess with. In any case Lee is rite is it possible u have a vacuum port unplugged. That would have a very audible air sucking sound however.
87 4spd GT
¯
Member # 9216

ya i plugged the ones up that were not being used. I am going to take everything back off and start over as soon as kids run out to school.... Thanks for the help!

--------------------

87 4spd GT
¯
Member # 9216

Okay so went and redid everything today on the intake situation. I did have a nasty leak at the back of the lower intake, didn't let the rtv set long enough before putting it back together i guess. Now got everything back together and well i still feel like the timing is off from stabbing the dizzy. I have tried from what I thought all the possibilities of tdc. Of course from the #1 compression stroke. Started to drop the dizzy in from the #8 position on the cap to where it falls basically in place right on the #1 post. I also tried it to where I line it up with #1 and falls shortly after. Now when idling it surges and with no load or in park it seems to rev fine but sounds like it is missing a bit. If in drive I have to keep foot on gas just to keep from dying and now the brakes are really stiff as not like before with them going to floor. I have had it with this crap. If only I lived closer to all you BAY 5.0 freaks i would provide the beer and float some cash to help a brotha out......

What can I do to ensure I am completely at tdc on #1. I f you have to write me idiot proof instructions than I wont be offended........ Or how to route the vaccuum lines. I am lost. I thought I basically had everything right....

--------------------

87fox302
¯
Member # 7655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87fox302  Ford pictures for 87fox302  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is your mas set to the injectors cuz remember those gt40 intakes came with 24# injectors and if your mas is for the 19# well it wont let it idel right
87 4spd GT
¯
Member # 9216

my mass is for 19's which I have 19's on the car as well.....

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com