Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » WATER IS LEAKING INTO MY CAR!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: WATER IS LEAKING INTO MY CAR!!
1993 el ex
¯
Member # 9489

Ford Icon 4 posted      Profile for 1993 el ex  Ford pictures for 1993 el ex    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i get into my car today (it was parked outside and i havent driven it in a couple days) and find my driver seat is soaking wet! after a few minutes inside, i reach into my backseat for my cd case and i find that the floor behind my passenger seat is also completely soaked!

ive determined that the water is coming in thru a faulty windshield seal (easy fix im on my way to buy some sealant) and thru the passenger side door. initially i thought the water was getting in on the passenger side bc of faulty weather stripping but when i checked the stripping out, i did not notice any cracks and it seemed in good condition...is there any other way to check if the weather stripping is at fault? another reason that i doubt my weather stripping is to blame is that i noticed an unusually large gap between my passenger door and the frame of the car. specifically, it is in the upper corner of the window frame where it sits inside the door frame. if i push down on the window frame (it doesnt drastically move) then it creates an adequate seal and keeps the water out. however if i just close my door, im able to stick my finger inside my car in between the window frame and the weather stripping thus imitating the leak.

has this problem ever happened to anyone? any suggestions for how i fix this leak? thanks in advance

84SVOrick
¯
Member # 9039

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 84SVOrick  Ford pictures for 84SVOrick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like the car has been in an accident, being seals aren't lining up, happened to my old 86 after it got hit and I fix it, had leaks all around the passanger door when ever I washed it

--------------------
Bay Area Stunnaz
RIP Jeannera "FOXY302"
10/29/87-10/9/10
1984 SVO 302 HCI a basic bitch
1986 GT FOXY302 stolen and totaled R.I.P.

Posts: 1928 | From: Vallejo CA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  :
1993 el ex
¯
Member # 9489

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1993 el ex  Ford pictures for 1993 el ex    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
any suggestions as to how i can fix it?
justflipa03
¯
Member # 9642

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for justflipa03  Ford pictures for justflipa03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
see if the door brackets are loose at all!

--------------------
2003 Mustang Gt
1992 Ford Bronco XLT

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds like the door pins are probably broken/sagging, happens a lot to foxbody's, real PITA to replace them. When they break the door alignment goes out of whack.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
925GT50
¯
Member # 2683

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 925GT50  Ford pictures for 925GT50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check your weatherstripping out too, mine use to leak on the driver side only. replaced both sides and all good now

--------------------
1990 GT hatch (owned since 05')
1988 GT (sold)
1995 SN95 Cobra (totaled/parted)
1995 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am LT1 (daily driver)

jareds98gt
¯
Member # 7701

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jareds98gt  Ford pictures for jareds98gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sit inside, then have someone take a hose to the car??

--------------------
1997 Saleen S281 #192

RODRIGUEZ
¯
Member # 9104

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RODRIGUEZ  Ford pictures for RODRIGUEZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by jareds98gt:
sit inside, then have someone take a hose to the car??

Just what I was going to say.

Make sure everything inside is dry then wet whatever part of the car you think the leak is coming from, have a buddy inside and he'll be able to see where the water is getting in from.

Blubyu87gt
¯
Member # 9427

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blubyu87gt  Ford pictures for Blubyu87gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Step one: Get a friend to sit in the car with ya (don't tell them why)
Step two: Go to Gas station with automated pressure car wash.
Step three: Pay said car wash
Step four: Pull inside wash and pay attenion.
Step five: Laugh at friend who got wet and didn't expect to.. (this is why you don't tell them the reason for wash)
Step six: make note of leak areas and check appropriately. (Also listen for air coming in from the drier)
Not only do you hopefully find the leak areas but you get to annoy a friend by getting them wet and a car wash all on the same go!

Posts: 98 | From: Charleston, SC | Registered: Aug 2009  |  :
BLK 90 GT 5.0
¯
Member # 7534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BLK 90 GT 5.0  Ford pictures for BLK 90 GT 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blubyu87gt:
Step one: Get a friend to sit in the car with ya (don't tell them why)
Step two: Go to Gas station with automated pressure car wash.
Step three: Pay said car wash
Step four: Pull inside wash and pay attenion.
Step five: Laugh at friend who got wet and didn't expect to.. (this is why you don't tell them the reason for wash)
Step six: make note of leak areas and check appropriately. (Also listen for air coming in from the drier)
Not only do you hopefully find the leak areas but you get to annoy a friend by getting them wet and a car wash all on the same go!

lmfao that's a good plan. My fox is doing the same thing but mine is on the driver side mine is cause the door pins are worn. Open ur door and lift on it to see if its the pins

--------------------
-916 MUSCLE-

90 Gt
02 lancer

1993 el ex
¯
Member # 9489

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1993 el ex  Ford pictures for 1993 el ex    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ January 25, 2010, 01:10 AM: Message edited by: 1993 el ex ]

1993 el ex
¯
Member # 9489

as a matter of fact when i open my passenger door i do notice the door start to sag. where are the door pins located and what kind of wear should i be looking for? how would i replace them? thanks for the input

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com