Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » gr-40 set up

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: gr-40 set up
lilowhit
¯
Member # 8306

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilowhit  Ford pictures for lilowhit    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So here I am with everything installed after 13 years and I am ready to set my car up. So I started off straightening the steering and my next step was to adjust my toe. My first question is with equal length tie rod ends what's the purpose of them being adjustable since you don't adjust toe with them? which way brings toe in or out? In what order do you tune so you don't do twice the work? How high should I jack the car up when doing this? Actually my concern is in jacking up the car because now the pumpkin can't get a really get a good contact because of the car being so low and the suspension being tubular so I work from the side and I' just trying to find out the safest way from someone who has more experience than myself.
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
first you set ride height, then you get the alinment close by eye,recheck ride height again and adjust again, then set your bumpsteer, reset alignment better,with more accuracy, recheck your ride height if moved , adjust. then finally check your alingment. now do want to adjust this with scales? lol! its not a easy way , there is a right way. and it takes alot of the day up for sure.oh and in between every adjustment you have half to bounce the vehicle to unload your adjustments with rolling the car forward and backward, then forwards .the boiuncing and rolling can be eliminated if you have slider plates< i forgot the correct term for these tools, but they are plates that slide> if this sounds like to much for you, this is something we do at my shop.
lilowhit
¯
Member # 8306

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilowhit  Ford pictures for lilowhit    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the information. I'm determined to do this and give it my best shot before I shell out the multiple hundreds for a reputable shop. will definitely keep your shop in mind if it becomes too overwhelming.
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well hope that helped , but not sure how to answer your question about adjustable tie rod ends or toe with them, thats what they do, do you mean a bump steer kit with tie rod ends? my very good friend and old apprentice now been working at griggs for some time now, the place that made that gr 40 kit, so if you need any info or help he comes over often and helps out.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com