Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Smog questions

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Smog questions
mat82284
¯
Member # 5973

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mat82284  Ford pictures for mat82284    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
man the only time i go out is to eat and i get pulled over for running a stop sign. I told him that i did stop and he said, "yes you did, but you did it after the white line and only for 1 second" I don't know the law but there is no way he could tell me how long i stopped for without timing me.

Anyways I'll be fighting that in court, but that's actually not the big deal. The big deal is what the cop did next. He asked me to open my hood. I agreed and popped my hood since everything is visually legal to my knowledge. Then he goes and says my Vortech blow of valve is illegal since its adjustable. I told him its vortech and came with the kit but he didn't care, he said to "just take your poof to the referee" and slapped me with a mandatory referee inspection.

I had no idea the Vortech Mini race was illegal, I looked online and found nothing about this. I need to find out if its legal or not, does anyone know?

My other question is my engine. Last year i had my engine rebuilt and stroked to a 5.0 and then had comp cams installed,XE270AH. I'll be tossing my stock H-pipe back on before going to the ref, but Is there anything else i could do to help pass emissions? Do you think i'll pass? I knew the risk of the cams before hand so that's my fault, what makes me mad is the engine builder was not supposed to stroke it but did anyways. I just kept it because it sounded really good, and now regret it. Someone said to run 10% more ethanol in the car to help it burn cleaner, any other tips? Also Should i decrease my vortech pulley to the stock pulley or would that not matter?

Any tips are appreciated.

Has anyone been to a California referee, what do they look for? Do they do a full visual inspection and smog test? I heard this is also an exhaust sound test too.

My last question. I was told i cant drive my car and if i do and get caught ill get my car impounded. How am i supposed to get it fixed if i cant drive it! This is the part that really makes me angry.

[ December 28, 2009, 04:51 AM: Message edited by: mat82284 ]

--------------------
2000 Mustang roush,stroked 5.0 Ported heads,Comp Cams,75mm TB, Plenum,Vortech v2-SQ,Custom FMIC,Spintech Mufflers,Bassani X-pipe W/Cats,3.73 gears

warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
all aftermarket shit is a big grey area.. some people say it legal, other say it's not... but don't worry about the stroker kit.. that won't affect the test.. i'm not a mod guy...so i can't tell you about your blower or cams... good luck..

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

POWERED BY FORD
¯
Member # 9204

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for POWERED BY FORD  Ford pictures for POWERED BY FORD    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
good luck at the reff,they check from front bumper to your back bumper
92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dont worry about your blower pulley, when it comes to smog, they dont run the car hard enough on the machine to make boost.

--------------------
Infineon/Sears point? same difference!
11.8 @ 115 mph @ Sac Raceway
411 rwhp 402 trq (old set up)
540 rwhp 517 rwtrq (new set up)
ET's to come

MarkOlson
¯
Member # 9556

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarkOlson  Ford pictures for MarkOlson  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They were dicks with my son's Honda CRX VTEC swap. We went to Evergreen College and Fremont, and both were wankers of the first order. We had to go back several times.

You should get a pretest at a regular smog shop first to see if you will pass the sniffer. Pretests are not reported to the state. I paid $30 for my pretest for my Cobra.

--------------------
Mark Olson
See http://www.classictiger.com/mustang for mods

mat82284
¯
Member # 5973

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mat82284  Ford pictures for mat82284    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks guys. I plan to do a pretest before i go. I'm just hoping they dont bother me about my intercooler lol. I'm going to try and say its the vortech one and see if they believe me. Since the carb information is vary vague.

I found this.
https://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/pdf/papers/D-213-24.pdf

I was even thinking of taking that to the judge and seeing taking photos of the vortech name on the blow of valve and see if the judge will look at it as smog exempt and let me skip the referee.

You guys think it'll work? since is says by pass valve?

"The Supercharger System for Ford Vehicles includes the following main parts: Centrifugal
supercharger, intercooler (optional), supercharger by-pass valve, air intake tubing, open element air cleaner, ECU upgrade, mass air flow sensor housing, and replacement high flow
fuel pump and fuel injectors. The stock radiator thermostat is retained. The breather hose
may be replaced with an SAE30R9 rated hose."

--------------------
2000 Mustang roush,stroked 5.0 Ported heads,Comp Cams,75mm TB, Plenum,Vortech v2-SQ,Custom FMIC,Spintech Mufflers,Bassani X-pipe W/Cats,3.73 gears

MarkOlson
¯
Member # 9556

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarkOlson  Ford pictures for MarkOlson  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you have the CARB EO number for your Vortech, you can go to the same web site the smog ref will go to to see what is listed: http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.php

That will tell you what parts he will expect were supplied by Vortech. Any other parts will be problematic, unless you get luckier than we did.

Post what you find. I am curious what it says.

--------------------
Mark Olson
See http://www.classictiger.com/mustang for mods

1965FALCOON
¯
Member # 8773

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1965FALCOON  Ford pictures for 1965FALCOON    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
THE BIG THING ON THE BLOW OFF VALVE IS THAT THE AIR THAT BYPASSES MUST BE RECIRCULATED TO THE AIR BOX AND NOT TO ATMOSPHERE THE JUDGE FROM MY EXPERIENCE WILL NOT EVEN LOOK AT YOUR TICKET OR HEAR FROM YOU UNTIL YOU HAVE BEEN TO THE REFEREE AND PASSED OR FAILED ONE OF MY BUDDIES JUST WENT LAST WEEK THEY TOLD HIM HIS PULLEY WAS THE WRONG SIZE AND THE INTER COOLER WAS THE WRONG ONE AND NOT THE CORRECT PART BUT ANOTHER BUDDY JUST WENT IN YESTERDAY IN A NIP NIP BING BING CAR AND GOT TO HAVE A NOT CARB LEGAL TURBO KIT MADE LEGAL WITH A LABEL I AM A SMOG TECH AND REALLY HATE ALL THE B.S. IF YOUR CAR PASSES OUT THE TAILPIPE WHO CARES IF THE IDEA IS CLEAN AIR THEN WHAT COMES OUT THE TAILPIPE SHOULD NOT MATTER OH AND BY THE WAY HAVE YOU LOOKED UP HOW MUCH YOUR FINE IS ONE OF MY BUDDIES WAS ALL LEGAL NOTH WRONG PASSED THE REFEREE TEST WITHIN 5 DAYS OF THE TICKET WHEN HE WENT TO COURT IT WAS 1275 JUST FOR THE FINE I HAVE HEARD OF PEOPLE GETTING OFF WITH AS LITTLE AS 375 SO GOOD LUCK
mat82284
¯
Member # 5973

quote:
Originally posted by 1965FALCOON:
THE BIG THING ON THE BLOW OFF VALVE IS THAT THE AIR THAT BYPASSES MUST BE RECIRCULATED TO THE AIR BOX AND NOT TO ATMOSPHERE THE JUDGE FROM MY EXPERIENCE WILL NOT EVEN LOOK AT YOUR TICKET OR HEAR FROM YOU UNTIL YOU HAVE BEEN TO THE REFEREE AND PASSED OR FAILED ONE OF MY BUDDIES JUST WENT LAST WEEK THEY TOLD HIM HIS PULLEY WAS THE WRONG SIZE AND THE INTER COOLER WAS THE WRONG ONE AND NOT THE CORRECT PART BUT ANOTHER BUDDY JUST WENT IN YESTERDAY IN A NIP NIP BING BING CAR AND GOT TO HAVE A NOT CARB LEGAL TURBO KIT MADE LEGAL WITH A LABEL I AM A SMOG TECH AND REALLY HATE ALL THE B.S. IF YOUR CAR PASSES OUT THE TAILPIPE WHO CARES IF THE IDEA IS CLEAN AIR THEN WHAT COMES OUT THE TAILPIPE SHOULD NOT MATTER OH AND BY THE WAY HAVE YOU LOOKED UP HOW MUCH YOUR FINE IS ONE OF MY BUDDIES WAS ALL LEGAL NOTH WRONG PASSED THE REFEREE TEST WITHIN 5 DAYS OF THE TICKET WHEN HE WENT TO COURT IT WAS 1275 JUST FOR THE FINE I HAVE HEARD OF PEOPLE GETTING OFF WITH AS LITTLE AS 375 SO GOOD LUCK

Some periods would really help with reading that, lol.

Anyways, How did he get a non legal turbo kit to be legal? The referee was able to make it legal?
Wait so there is still a fine even if you pass? Thats bullshit, The cop said its a fix it ticket. No wonder there sending everyone to the Referee they just want more money from people.

I forgot to mention my blow of valve is recirculated.

[ December 29, 2009, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: mat82284 ]

--------------------

1965FALCOON
¯
Member # 8773

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1965FALCOON  Ford pictures for 1965FALCOON    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
THE REFEREE IS LIKE GOD WHATEVER HA SAYS IS LEGAL. HE PUT A NOTE IN THE COMMENTS BOX OF THE REFEREE LABEL THAT STATED THE TURBO WAS PART OF THE CONFIGURATION WHEN TESTED AND IS NOW LEGAL. ONLY GOOD NEWS I HAVE FOR YOU IS IF YOU ARE IN SONOMA COUNTY. I HAD A CUSTOMER CALL LAST NIGHT AND TELL ME SHE WENT TO WALK IN COURT AND THE JUDGE LOOKED AT HER TICKET AND SAID THIS IS CRAZY. SHE SAID THAT COPS SHOULD NOT BE WRITING TICKETS LIKE THESE WITH A BASE FINE OF 675 WHICH WITH ALL THE OTHER FEES COMES OUT TO 1300 FROM WHAT I WAS TOLD LAST NIGHT. THE JUDGE THREW THE TICKET OUT AND DISMISSED IT WITH A 300 DOLLAR FINE. NO REFEREE, NO NEED TO PASS A SMOG, NOTHING AT ALL JUST PAY THE FINE. THE COPS ARE BEING TOLD BY THEIR COMMANDERS TO WRITE AS MANY OF THOSE TICKETS AS THEY CAN TO SECURE THEIR JOBS. I ALSO HAVE A FEW COPS AS VERY LOYAL CUSTOMERS AND GET THE HEADS UP OF WHEN NOT TO DRIVE MY CAR. THE WHOLE SMOG PROGRAM WAS A GREAT IDEA IN THEORY BUT WHAT IT HAS BECOME IS A MONEY MAKING BUNCH OF BULL SHIT. SORRY TO SAY IT BUT ITS MY JOB AND I DONT EVEN AGREE WITH WHAT I DO. BY THE WAY THE REFEREE IS ABOUT AS DUMB AS A ROCK OUT HERE. IF YOU KNOW A LOT ABOUT SMOG AND CARS IN GENERAL YOU CAN BULL SHIT THE REFEREE TO GET ANYTHING YOU WANT.I HAVE A CUSTOMER WHO SOME HOW GOT THE REFEREE TO PASS AND GIVE HIM A REFEREE LABEL THAT SAYS HIS 240SX WITH A SKYLINE MOTOR ONLY AVAILABLE IN JAPAN AT THE TIME IS LEGAL. THAT MOTOR IS NOT EVEN LEGAL TO BE RUN IN THE US. HE HAD 1 PART AT A TIME SHIPPED OVER FROM JAPAN. HE ACTUALLY SPEAKS JAPANESE AND HAS FAMILY THERE. GOOD LUCK
mat82284
¯
Member # 5973

quote:
Originally posted by 1965FALCOON:
THE REFEREE IS LIKE GOD WHATEVER HA SAYS IS LEGAL. HE PUT A NOTE IN THE COMMENTS BOX OF THE REFEREE LABEL THAT STATED THE TURBO WAS PART OF THE CONFIGURATION WHEN TESTED AND IS NOW LEGAL. ONLY GOOD NEWS I HAVE FOR YOU IS IF YOU ARE IN SONOMA COUNTY. I HAD A CUSTOMER CALL LAST NIGHT AND TELL ME SHE WENT TO WALK IN COURT AND THE JUDGE LOOKED AT HER TICKET AND SAID THIS IS CRAZY. SHE SAID THAT COPS SHOULD NOT BE WRITING TICKETS LIKE THESE WITH A BASE FINE OF 675 WHICH WITH ALL THE OTHER FEES COMES OUT TO 1300 FROM WHAT I WAS TOLD LAST NIGHT. THE JUDGE THREW THE TICKET OUT AND DISMISSED IT WITH A 300 DOLLAR FINE. NO REFEREE, NO NEED TO PASS A SMOG, NOTHING AT ALL JUST PAY THE FINE. THE COPS ARE BEING TOLD BY THEIR COMMANDERS TO WRITE AS MANY OF THOSE TICKETS AS THEY CAN TO SECURE THEIR JOBS. I ALSO HAVE A FEW COPS AS VERY LOYAL CUSTOMERS AND GET THE HEADS UP OF WHEN NOT TO DRIVE MY CAR. THE WHOLE SMOG PROGRAM WAS A GREAT IDEA IN THEORY BUT WHAT IT HAS BECOME IS A MONEY MAKING BUNCH OF BULL SHIT. SORRY TO SAY IT BUT ITS MY JOB AND I DONT EVEN AGREE WITH WHAT I DO. BY THE WAY THE REFEREE IS ABOUT AS DUMB AS A ROCK OUT HERE. IF YOU KNOW A LOT ABOUT SMOG AND CARS IN GENERAL YOU CAN BULL SHIT THE REFEREE TO GET ANYTHING YOU WANT.I HAVE A CUSTOMER WHO SOME HOW GOT THE REFEREE TO PASS AND GIVE HIM A REFEREE LABEL THAT SAYS HIS 240SX WITH A SKYLINE MOTOR ONLY AVAILABLE IN JAPAN AT THE TIME IS LEGAL. THAT MOTOR IS NOT EVEN LEGAL TO BE RUN IN THE US. HE HAD 1 PART AT A TIME SHIPPED OVER FROM JAPAN. HE ACTUALLY SPEAKS JAPANESE AND HAS FAMILY THERE. GOOD LUCK

Jesus $1300 for a ticket that any cop could write and say your in the wrong. How illegal is that. So it sounds like i need to rush my ticket and just go see a judge and then show him the vortech carb information and that it says "by pass valve" that goes with the carb information and take photos of my current bypass valve with the vortech name all over it to the judge and hope that he matches the two names and throws it out. $1300 is highway robbery for someone who is innocent. Jesus not everyone knows every single law out there. If California wants to force people to pay those fines they need to publish a book like the dmv does with driving on what parts you can have or not have every year. Tons of innocent people are being suckered into illegal parts because companies do not post any smog information about it. I thought all vortech blow of valves were legal and then i get a ticket for one. This is just BS. Not everyone has $1300.

Thanks for the heads up.

[ December 30, 2009, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: mat82284 ]

--------------------

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
(fortunately) I have never been through this process but here is what I would do.

1. Look up the CARB numbers for all the aftermarket shit you have on your car, print everything out, and take it with you

2. Slap the stock H-pipe back on

3. Go to a smog shop and get a pre-test done. Also, have the dude do a visual on your car to see if there is anything he catches that you are missing.

I agree with the guy above. You may be SOL on your BOV b/c it isn't routed back into the intake. You may want to try calling a ref station and asking about it before you take it in. You may want to think about rigging up a bypass for the time being. Also, I would try and see if there are "any" carb legal intercoolers and try and convince the smog ref that is the one you have [Wink]

Good luck and let us know how it turns out. [patriot]

[ December 31, 2009, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: 92stangLX ]

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
mat82284
¯
Member # 5973

quote:
Originally posted by 92stangLX:
(fortunately) I have never been through this process but here is what I would do.

1. Look up the CARB numbers for all the aftermarket shit you have on your car, print everything out, and take it with you

2. Slap the stock H-pipe back on

3. Go to a smog shop and get a pre-test done. Also, have the dude do a visual on your car to see if there is anything he catches that you are missing.

I agree with the guy above. You may be SOL on your BOV b/c it isn't routed back into the intake. You may want to try calling a ref station and asking about it before you take it in. You may want to think about rigging up a bypass for the time being. Also, I would try and see if there are "any" carb legal intercoolers and try and convince the smog ref that is the one you have [Wink]

Good luck and let us know how it turns out. [patriot]

Thanks, I'm going to try and talk to the judge early and see show him my proof and see what he suggests. Hopefully he sees it as stupid and clears it out for me, but if not ill have to do it the hard way. As for the by pass valve its re rerouted back into the intake. I'm on draw through setup not, blow through so i have to route the air back in.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com