Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 1998 Cobra Engine (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: 1998 Cobra Engine
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok, I took out the Cobra Engine out of my car, and mounted it on a stand and flipped it over. I took off the oil pan and now I dont know what to look for haha.

FYI: This engine was in my 97GT, I did a post a while back on it, couldnt find it, so I have to start a new thread. A while back, I drove the car as a commuter from work and home for about 6 months. When I got off work one morning, I fired her up, it was fine, drove down the driveway out of the lot, and BAM!...the engine started rocking back and forth side to side, and it was almost going to stall but still had a little life in it, it idled very roughly, actually had just enough power for me to reverse it while pumping the throttle, back in to a parking spot, where it sat from almost 4 months. I just had it towed home last week and now im working on it slowly. When it was barely running, I heard a knocking sound coming from inside the engine somehwere.

So now I need some assistance from you professionals out there, to give me some advice and walk me through on what to look for.

Also I drained the oil and there was barely any in the pan (oops) and it was dark as chocolate (like the chocolate river in Willy Wonka), and it was new when I poured the oil in when I did the swap, and I put about only about3,500 miles. Ok, so what do i do now? [Frown] [Confused]

--------------------
1997 Autumn Orange GT vert
1996 Mystic Cobra
2005 95ci Harley Road King
2011 F150 Raptor

Posts: 2139 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What weight of oil were you using?

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
10-30

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
10w30 is too much for that setup. 5w20 or 30 is what they need. The higher viscosity oil can't flow as easily through the heads, so it sits longer in them...leaking down valve guides...burning in cylinders. Also, it will be sucked into the intake through the PCV system, as it closer to the valve being in the head. I'm willing to bet your IMRC's are coated in burnt oil, your lower intake is full of oil, and the back of the throttle body has oil on it as well. This is where all the oil went.
As for what to look for...check the #6,7, and 8 rods. One of them has possibly has a spun rod bearing.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Do i take off the end caps to check the bearing or is there another way to determine that? What else would I have to check/replace before I can place the engine back in and hopefully it will fire up and be my daily driver again...

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
#7 rod is the failure I have seen more commonly.

Try moving the rods side to side on the journal until you find some that wont move a tiny bit and that is probably your knock.

Look for discolored metal.

Once, if, you find either of those pull the cap off.

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you spun a bearing then your not going to just throw a new one in and keep on driving. The crank will be scored up bad and the rod too will have damage. It sounds like something else went wrong though, I've heard plenty of engines run with a rod knock and not run bad.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ok cool, thanks. I'll take a look and and see what I find. So if the crank is scored can I get it worked or do i have to replace that thing? Or is that up to a shop depending on the damage? Would i be better off getting new rods, pistons, crank, etc? I might just take that block from you john haha

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by autumnstang97:
Ok cool, thanks. I'll take a look and and see what I find. So if the crank is scored can I get it worked or do i have to replace that thing? Or is that up to a shop depending on the damage? Would i be better off getting new rods, pistons, crank, etc? I might just take that block from you john haha

If it is the type of damage that is described above then you will need to have the whole motor disassembled, checked, and have any bad parts replaced... so bascially an entire rebuild.

If you are looking to get outa this one cheap then buy a used, good running motor. Otherwise have your motor rebuilt.

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Whats the price range for a rebuild on these kinds of engines? Im not looking to make a race car...

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

LSFairmont
¯
Member # 6001

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LSFairmont  Ford pictures for LSFairmont    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
buy JOHNB'S fully forged block for 2k
Posts: 3652 | From: the land of the lost | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Hey JohnB, that forged block is blower ready?

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Sure is.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ok so JohnB is gonna hook me up with that block. Now whats a good cam for these engines? Something that makes good power, smog legal and not ridiculously priced where I have to cut off my leg...Also im looking for a good exhaust header, I want to go with bassani since im running a full bassani exhaust, but whats this news about people failing smog visuals...thnx guys...i'll get pix up of this project once it gets cleaned up...

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
stock cams are fine until you are looking at over 500hp.

shorty headers aren't worth the $$$ over the stock manifolds, better to spend that money on fuel system parts if you want to boost it. Shorty's are the only headers available that have a CARB # to pass visual smog, and that requires the stock 4 cat midpipe too.

longtubes are where the power is, but they would never pass an actual visual smog check. Impossible to see the headers from the top, but if they look under the car looking for the factory cats and see the collectors on the long tubes and only 2 cats...that's it, failed.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Now whats a good cam for these engines? Something that makes good power, smog legal and not ridiculously priced where I have to cut off my leg.

Your not going to find a good set of cams that aren't expensive. You might find a set used from somewhere but expect to pay in the $700+ range, at least that's what I found when looking for a set. You gotta think, its not just one cam like an OHV motor so your buying 4 cams that cost well over $1K new.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford GT cams are brand new, all day long, for around $450 a set.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

FoX GT
¯
Member # 4587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FoX GT  Ford pictures for FoX GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
Ford GT cams are brand new, all day long, for around $450 a set.

I've got them in my car, woot!

--------------------
- AED -
03 Cobra 10th anni 3.4 Whipple 9.47@141
2012 Mustang GT 10.98@125
2015 Mustang GT

Bring what you got and hope its enough!

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Would 03/04 Cobra valves and springs fit on a 96-98 Cobra Cyclinder head? I found a new set on MMR and i want to have the heads rebuilt before i put them on the new block...wheres a good place to port these heads anyway? and should the lower intake be ported too.

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Would 03/04 Cobra valves and springs fit on a 96-98 Cobra Cylinder head? I found a new set on MMR and i want to have the heads rebuilt before i put them on the new block...wheres a good place to port these heads anyway? and should the lower intake be ported too.

if these heads were on the engine that ran out of oil you better have the heads gone through
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ok, so the heads are getting sent out next week.

So im working on the the block, and I put on brand new UPR Motor mounts, and I tightend the bolts and the mount still moves? Do i have to get shorter bolts? its like the bolt bottoms out and doesnt completely tighten the mounts. I resued the bolts off the factory mount that was on the aluminum block...this one is JohnB's new one that i bought. Any Advice?

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

So im working on the the block, and I put on brand new UPR Motor mounts, and I tightend the bolts and the mount still moves? Do i have to get shorter bolts? its like the bolt bottoms out and doesnt completely tighten the mounts. I resued the bolts off the factory mount that was on the aluminum block...this one is JohnB's new one that i bought. Any Advice?

add washer to the bolts an use locking ones

[ December 22, 2009, 05:05 AM: Message edited by: fasthatch ]

BOSNA
¯
Member # 246

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for BOSNA  Ford pictures for BOSNA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Need more info on JOHNB'S #

--------------------
98 Cobra
97 GT Saleen

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

quote:
Originally posted by fasthatch:
quote:

add washer to the bolts an use locking ones
+1. As stated, use flat washers and a lock washer. Don't forget the coolant plugs either. [Smile]

Bosna, feel free to shoot me a PM if you've got a question. [Smile]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

thats what i was gonna do but i had to make sure it was ok...so thanks for the response guys...and I got the coolant plugs on and ready to go...haha thanks john

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com