Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » HELP...93 5.0 OVERHEATING!!!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: HELP...93 5.0 OVERHEATING!!!!
NightStocker
Member # 9171

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for NightStocker  Ford pictures for NightStocker  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hi guys how you doing? My problem is that my car keeps on overheating. I have changed the Coolant SNSR, Thermostat, upper & lower hoses and the heater core by pass hose to. The water pump works fine as I was told and radiator, and fan clutch works to because I have to put some little strength to move but I know something is not right....

Then Again When my car is turned off it reads hot between 150 & 160 and when I turn it on the first time of the day it will read cold and slowly rise again to hot....CAN SOMEONE HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

--------------------
Julio Magana

Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
150 to 160 degrees? are you using the stock gauge because its not very accurate. and 160 degrees is not even fully warmed up yet. you might not even have a problem.

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
180-190 is normal temp.
I'd go to a auto zone or local auto parts chain and rent a radiator pressure test kit.

If your coolant system does'nt hold pressure,then you have a leak.

Before you do all that...Wait till the car is cold then remove the radiator cap and look at the gasket of the cap for rips or cracks in the rubber.

May wanna check the oil while your at it. Blown head gaskets will eat coolant and mix in the oil.
The pressure test will help pin point any leaks in the system using a 3ft. hose to your ear to hear it.

I think your system is fine though if its running at 160+ Maybe upgrade to the ford tauras electric fan, That fan does the trick.
Good luck bro & welcome to cafords [patriot]

[ August 15, 2009, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: street_illegal_stang ]

Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
NightStocker
Member # 9171

Ford Icon 4 posted      Profile for NightStocker  Ford pictures for NightStocker  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The cap is new that I even struggle to take off at times. Pressure there is because my dad decided to take off the cap on radiator and it was like a volcano going off. There's no coolant either in the oil its nice and clean....So what you guys thinking? I'm honestly out of clues and don't know what to do other then change the radiator..what you guys think?
street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How hot does it get again? Is it puking coolant out the overflow tank? Are you running straight water? When its cold take off the cap and look inside the radiator while the car is running to see if coolant is flowing good; I seriously doubt its cloged. You may just have air in the system and need to bleed it. I use a vented radiator cap, and a thermostat with a burp hole installed with burp hole pointing up.
Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
89foxstang
¯
Member # 5908

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89foxstang  Ford pictures for 89foxstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just making sure you still have that air diverter flap deal( the piece that hangs straight down and scrapes on all the curbs.) on the bottom of your bumper? ive seen a couple people come through with 5.0s that are missing those and they have similar problems
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
whats the temp that u think is overheating first?if it dont go over 170 to 190 u aint overheating.if it does, u said if flows like volcano ?is it after its been running for a while its again half way normal?just a quick check turn car off let cool down take off rad cap then crank if u got volcano u got blown head gasket.
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had the exact same issue with my old Fox, I did all the same stuff you did and it didn't get better. I ended up swapping out the radiator and it ran nice and cool. I've had luck finding radiators out at Pick N Pull, people have cars that overheat due to engine problems so they change the radiator. You can find the heavy duty 3 core ones. Check the T-birds, that's also a Fox platform car and the radiator is the same.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
85_TT_5.0
¯
Member # 8486

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 85_TT_5.0  Ford pictures for 85_TT_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When your motor is at operating temperature, feel the corners of your radiator, if you find one corner cooler than the other (cold spots)chances are you have plugged cores.
Posts: 63 | From: Fremont, ca. | Registered: Jun 2008  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com