Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 2.3 to 5.0 swap questions

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 2.3 to 5.0 swap questions
street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hi,
I'm helping out a friend on a budget do a 5.0efi swap to his 88lx coupe.
We're wondering if the stock 2.3 fuel pump will work okay;are they the same 88lph pump?

Will the alternator wiring need to be swaped from a 5.0 car?

Fuel relay the same?

is the ecu relay the same? the relay next to the cpu located at the passenger kick panel.

Is the coil is the same?

Thank for the help [patriot]

Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
phat50
¯
Member # 1998

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phat50  Ford pictures for phat50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by street_illegal_stang:
Hi,
I'm helping out a friend on a budget do a 5.0efi swap to his 88lx coupe.
We're wondering if the stock 2.3 fuel pump will work okay;are they the same 88lph pump?

Will the alternator wiring need to be swaped from a 5.0 car?

Fuel relay the same?

is the ecu relay the same? the relay next to the cpu located at the passenger kick panel.

Is the coil is the same?

Thank for the help [patriot]

Not sure if its the same 88lph pump but i drove for a while with a stock 2.3 pump.

With the alt wire, i just made mines reach, never had a problem.

Fuel Relay should be the same, never changed mine. ecu relay, i just used the one that came with the 5.0 harness.

Not sure about the coil, should be the same, i used a msd one tho.

--------------------
New toy coming soon!

Posts: 2860 | From: Richmond / Valley jo/ Petaluma | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thank bro,
thanks some good info

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
fuel relay depends on the year, the one on my `89 was a dummy box and I had to swap the one from my donor car over, it's located under the drivers seat on my car, it moved to the engine bay and ECU harness on 92+ cars

coil is the same

alternator/headlight harness is easier to swap if you have a donor one IMO, really easy.

the pump might be the same but the fuel lines are totally different, I just swapped the gas tank and lines from my donor car over and didn't worry about it.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Obvious  Ford pictures for Captain Obvious    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just try and match the harness from your friends car with what ever doner car because of variations in the electrical from 87-93 and if you can swap out the differential/brakes with V8 stuff.

--------------------
It's NOT illegal. It's just frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane.

street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
fuel relay depends on the year, the one on my `89 was a dummy box and I had to swap the one from my donor car over, it's located under the drivers seat on my car, it moved to the engine bay and ECU harness on 92+ cars

coil is the same

alternator/headlight harness is easier to swap if you have a donor one IMO, really easy.

the pump might be the same but the fuel lines are totally different, I just swapped the gas tank and lines from my donor car over and didn't worry about it.

I don't have a donor car,
But we do have most of the things to get it going.
The car is a 1988 lx mustang 2.3 coupe
I think the fuel relay is under the driver seat and green/black. is that the same as 5.0?

We plan to reuse the 2.3 fuel tank assembly.

we also plan on replacing all the fuel lines with 5.0 fuel lines.

I'm gonna try the 2.3 harness for the alternator for now... I do have a harness from a wrecked 89 gt, but we noticed it was cut in half when freeing up the hood from the smashed core support. I guess I can patch it up.
Blind,
Thanks for telling me about the coil.

[ July 12, 2009, 02:31 AM: Message edited by: street_illegal_stang ]

street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91fox:
just try and match the harness from your friends car with what ever doner car because of variations in the electrical from 87-93 and if you can swap out the differential/brakes with V8 stuff.

We swaped in a 8.8" with 3:73's and moser axles
with all the rear brake lines changed out to v8 spec. for a start.

We dont have a donor car, but lucky enough after all 8 or so years, we managed to have most of the parts laying around taking up space.

We picked up this 88LX coupe for $350 at a local police auction.
Thank you all for the support

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the fuel pump relay under the seat on my `89 was an empty box, I had to use one from a v8 to get the fuel pump to kick on, I think the 4cyl ECU harness had the actual fuel pump that was used on my car, similar to the later 92+ v8 harness style

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
514 Mullet
¯
Member # 7402

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 514 Mullet  Ford pictures for 514 Mullet    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Alternator wiring is in the headlight harness from a V8 car. It can also simply be extended.
Relay will be the same and located in the engine bay. Not sure what you are asking about with the computer relay. Its on the engine harness itself from a V8 car by my memory. Anything else down there is plug and play. Coil is the same. Fuel pump is the same for 4 or 8 cylinder cars.

Posts: 215 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jan 2007  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com