Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » need help with wierd problem

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: need help with wierd problem
PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PWR HNGRY 302  Ford pictures for PWR HNGRY 302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well i have a problem with my mustang.. it keeps tryin to start itself once its started.. i got a new starter. a new selinoid, new ignition switch. new ignition lock . and stil the problem won't go away any ides what could be going wrong??

--------------------
87 Fox- Restoration in progress
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM
2017 Prius Prime (The Daily)

Posts: 2655 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
power wire going to the starter is probably grounding on something metallic.

is the starter actually cranking, or just hanging on to the flywheel?

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
QuickSparks
¯
Member # 8826

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for QuickSparks  Ford pictures for QuickSparks    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am confused about what your problem is. Are you saying that the starter motor won't turn off, or that it intermittently turns back on (like when someone turns the ignition key again after the engine is already running)? Does the starter motor begin turning when you put the key in the ignition and turn it to "on" (but not "start")? For now I will assume that your starter only begins turning once you turn the key to "start" and continues turning until you switch the key to "off."

Since you already replaced the starter motor, starter relay, and ignition switch, you may have a wiring problem (have you replaced the clutch interlock switch?). However, I don't think the problem is that the power cable going to the starter motor is shorting. That wouldn't make the starter turn, and would cause your battery to overheat if you kept the key in the "start" position for a long enough time.

Given that two switches must be closed (the ignition switch must be turned to "start" and the clutch pedal has to be depressed) to get power to the starter relay's solenoid, it seems unlikely that you have a few bad wiring connections compounding each other to cause your problem. I still think that the starter relay is the most likely culprit. .

You could test the starter relay by removing it from the car, putting a continuity tester across the big lugs, and applying 12V across the small lugs. When you apply 12V across the small lugs, you should hear the continuity tester buzz, and when you disconnect the 12V, you should hear the buzzing stop. If the continuity tester buzzing continues even after you disconnect the small lugs, then your relay is sticking. If that still isn't it...

You should check all the connections on the ignition switch, clutch interlock switch, and starter relay to make sure that there are no bad splices, broken insulation, or loose connectors. Also ensure that everything is connected properly according the wiring diagram.

-

89foxstang
¯
Member # 5908

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89foxstang  Ford pictures for 89foxstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
^ haha damn awesome explanation +1111111 i bought a "new" solenoid from pepboys and it would keep turning over , got a NEW "new" solenoid and the problem stopped
QuickSparks
¯
Member # 8826

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for QuickSparks  Ford pictures for QuickSparks    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the +1 [Big Grin]

I haven't experienced this problem myself, but a google search easily found plenty of other cases where someone had a faulty new starter relay. I guess some manufacturers put out poor quality relays. It's a damn simple part, shame on them for messing that up so badly.

89foxstang, where did you get the relay that worked, and what was the manufacturer and part number?

I should also clarify that in my previous post, anytime I referred to a "starter relay" or "solenoid," I was referring to the black cylinder device mounted in the engine bay, not the solenoid in the hump on the starter motor itself. See pic below.

-

89foxstang
¯
Member # 5908

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89foxstang  Ford pictures for 89foxstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got it from pepboys again, i guess it was just luck of the draw, i dont have the car anymore so i cant get you a pn sorry man...

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com