Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Question about Dexcool (GM antifreeze)

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Question about Dexcool (GM antifreeze)
90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90FoX  Ford pictures for 90FoX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had a water pump replaced in my daily driver(GM product [Frown] ). It has the 2.2L ecotech engine. The shop that replaced my water pump drained all the dexcool from the system and filled it up with regular coolant.

I wanted to know if it will hurt anything if I don't use dexcool. Are there any properties of Dexcool that would require me to use it instead of other coolants or is it fine to use other coolants in my cooling system?

Thanks
[patriot]

Posts: 5364 | From: Shooting Skeet | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
89bluenotch
¯
Member # 7454

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89bluenotch  Ford pictures for 89bluenotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
doesn't the dexcool eat up your gaskets?? maybe thats why they flushed/drained and put in different shit.

--------------------
-Gunnar
89 coupe
54 f100
R.I.P. SILVERLX

Posts: 1857 | From: HEALDSBURG | Registered: Feb 2007  |  :
KevinK
Tech Mod
Member # 9234

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KevinK  Ford pictures for KevinK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I thought Dexcool was GM's answer for extended life coolant, thus the different color.
Posts: 197 | From: San Mateo, CA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Obvious  Ford pictures for Captain Obvious    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i thought that shit was supposed to be better for aluminum

--------------------
It's NOT illegal. It's just frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane.

93ReefBlue5.0
¯
Member # 5780

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93ReefBlue5.0  Ford pictures for 93ReefBlue5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dexcool is an extended life coolant. as long as they flushed the dex out you shouldn't have any problems. when it is mixed it turns into a clay colored/crusty liquid...
Posts: 1535 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90FoX  Ford pictures for 90FoX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93ReefBlue5.0:
dexcool is an extended life coolant. as long as they flushed the dex out you shouldn't have any problems. when it is mixed it turns into a clay colored/crusty liquid...

WTF? CLAY?!?! [Eek!]

Thanks for the info bro...I'm make sure they flushed it... [Frown]

93ReefBlue5.0
¯
Member # 5780

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93ReefBlue5.0  Ford pictures for 93ReefBlue5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i was just making a comparison of color.. and when i say mixed i mean like 1/2.. as long as it was drained you are fine.
Posts: 1535 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

Okay sweet. I asked them the day I picked it up and they said it's cool. But I don't trust the people working on the car lol, it's in their favor to lie to me if they needed to so I'd rather have an independent opinion... [Big Grin]

Thanks [patriot]

[ June 29, 2009, 12:47 AM: Message edited by: 90FoX ]

Venomousnotch
¯
Member # 8695

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venomousnotch  Ford pictures for Venomousnotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dex-Cool=Orange
Regular Coolant=Green
Usually when you mix these two different type of coolants together over time it turns into an acid and it eats the gaskets and if you're block is aluminum it will begin to get pickled and that's when you're gonna begin having leaks and over heating problems..Good Luck..

--------------------
🏁•2004 MUSTANG SVT COBRA•🏁

"WHEN THE WHINING STARTS,IT MEANS JUSTICE IS ABOUT TO BE SERVED"..

Posts: 7604 | From: *NORTHERN*KILLA4NIA* | Registered: Oct 2008  |  :
90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

quote:
Originally posted by Venomousnotch:
Dex-Cool=Orange
Regular Coolant=Green
Usually when you mix these two different type of coolants together over time it turns into an acid and it eats the gaskets and if you're block is aluminum it will begin to get pickled and that's when you're gonna begin having leaks and over heating problems..Good Luck..

LOOOOOL I know the colors. [dance]

Will I need a flush or just draining it is fine? [Confused]

Venomousnotch
¯
Member # 8695

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venomousnotch  Ford pictures for Venomousnotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 90FoX:
quote:
Originally posted by Venomousnotch:
Dex-Cool=Orange
Regular Coolant=Green

LOOOOOL I know the colors. [dance]

Will I need a flush or just draining it is fine? [Confused]

You need to flush all the coolant out of the radiator,coolant over flow bottle,and flush out the complete block...I've seen this issue happen a lot during my years of experience as a tech.
Flush it all out and put the dex-cool coolant back in it and you should be in good shape..LMK

--------------------
🏁•2004 MUSTANG SVT COBRA•🏁

"WHEN THE WHINING STARTS,IT MEANS JUSTICE IS ABOUT TO BE SERVED"..

Posts: 7604 | From: *NORTHERN*KILLA4NIA* | Registered: Oct 2008  |  :
F.or O.nly R.eal D.rivers
¯
Member # 8971

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for F.or O.nly R.eal D.rivers  Ford pictures for F.or O.nly R.eal D.rivers    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know a guy who works at the chevy dealer,he doesnt even like that stuff,it does eat up gaskets and it cakes up everywhere. He always drains that stuff out and puts regular coolant.

--------------------
R.I.P MATT "4-Speed King"

Posts: 179 | From: RICHMOND,CA | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com